Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Wam52, I am with you! Over 30 of our frinds have quit the Pensacola Unit in disgust last year. More won't renew this year because they, including myself, had already renewed before finding out the truth as to what really did take place at International. (Not this past one but in 2010)

Then the cronnies of the unit did nothing less than a hostil take over so they could keep the club the way its been for the last 5 decades and not make any changes that the majority of the membership was wanting. Well, I guess they have it the way they want it now, a smaller, "more exclusive" club. Sure, we could have fought it out with them but you have to know when it's wiser to quit and go on enjoying life instead of fighting against idiots.

The funny thing is that they have to beg and plead just to get a campground host during the summer and now have to consider closing it during the summer. They had to cancel the rally in July becasue of lack of participation. (They can't use the excuse of the pavillion not being airconditioned, because that was installed a few years ago.)

Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #30
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sorry to hear of the Mystic Springs troubles. Page and I stopped in there a couple of years ago, met some nice folks, enjoyed the facilities and pledged to come back one day.

I hope it works out somehow.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
So, what happened in 2010? jim
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
That's why a lot of people have quit the unit and are put out with the WBCCI in general because of lame leadership. The internal affairs of the club is being conducted as a dictatorship.

I believe I was very impartial in my own private investigation as to what all took place at International and afterwards. I believe I was rather impartial in sewtting out to learn what had happened and didn't preformulate any conclusions. I spoke with those involved, except those at the top of the WBCCI level. I spoke with the Wilson's, Pat Greggory, the replacement unit president, Leslie Randall as well as witnesses at International. I heared every side and concluded that what was being told to the Unit 29 membership was not true. What added to my conclusion was the refusal of the Unit's leadership to have an open disscussion about what took place. What was the final determing factor was John Stumpf's adament position that there will not be any public disscussion on the matter. Stumpf just wanted the entire issue to go away by itself.

When I sent out an email stating my independant findings to all of the board members and many of the members, all Pat Greggory could give in a response was ask how was she suppose to respond to such lies and rather than give a defense, quoted some Bible verses.

Sidra Spies sent out a follow up email to everyone questioning my motives since I hadn't been to any of the rallies in a while. (GEE, I wonder why that was?) Could it be that many of my friends were no longer attending rallies? She also directed everyone in her email to keep and print out a copy of the emails I sent, in case a grievane had to filed and intructed the person who was appointed as the chairman of the rules commitee to prepare filing a possible grievance against me. She concluded her email by quoting some of the WBCCI by-laws.

In fact, many of my friends replied back to me saying I recieved a typical response, Pat quoting the Bible and Sidra quoting the by-laws.

Prior to this, I was on the board as a trustee. I was highly committed to Mystic Springs Cove Park. I hauled my own company enclosed trailer over 65 miles one way, loaded with my commercial mowing equipment several times to mow the grounds. My family has been camp host several times. I sometimes hosted by myself when my wife and daughter couldn't be there with me and I've hosted during the summer when no one else would, when I should have been working instead. (I'm a landscaper.) We also hosted some rallies and helped cook on several occaisons. I have helped during work rallies, yet we never saw Pat and her husband at one. I donated a pull behind trailer and spreader to the park. I put up several bird houses and placed Posted signs all around the property perimeter, just to name a FEW of the things I did for Mystic Springs Park. So no one like Sidra is going to call into question my loyalty to the park and have anything substantial to say.

Yet, I was made out to be the one spreading lies amonst the membership. No Sidra, that was your friend, Pat doing that! I was merely telling my opinion and views as I seen it and I believe them to be very close to the truth of what happened. I challanged anyone who wanted to know my sources of information to a public discussion and anyone accusing me as a lyier to a public debate, at the park's pavillion. Of course, no one answered my challange. What I said went undisputed.

Those choosing to remain in Unit 29 know what took place, they just choose to ignore the truth and go on. Well, if the park ends up closing, all I can say is that bunch desrves it! I also dread seeing what will happen to the club should John Stumpf become president!

If anyone wants to file a grievance against me, you better hurry up because I'm not renewing! I am David Chamberlain and my Wally # is 11537, but I already took the numbers of my trailer!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thanks for the info. jim
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Sorry, without Ken's post being on here anymore, my acount starts mid way through the story-- I'll fill in the rest of the story.

What had started the entire situation to begin at International in 2010 was that when our unit president, Jimmy Wilson and his wife arrived at he bull pen, an over zealous parking volunteer got all bent out of shape over something and flew of the handle at the Wilson's. Later on, WBCCI Pres. Colliere and I believe his succesor along with the volunter went over to the Wilson's trailer and entered without knocking. One of them commenced pointing his finger in Mrs. Wilson's face and told them how they weren't going to get an appology or anything. I think one of them later gave a half appology of somesort. Well, the Wilson's left for a couple of days but returned so they could be there for International business. During the time they were gone, Pat took it upon herself to call selected unit 29 members to let them know how the Wilson's brought shame and dishonor upon our unit. Pat later denied doing this once she returned from International but too many of us know she did.

Leslie Randall, who was the unit treasuer at the time, started repeating Pat's account of what took place, sying that Jimmy Wilson said "F-U" to someone while there, when it was in fact, Pat's Husband Jim who really said that.

I had gotten word that the Wilson's weren't gong to continue with the unit and that the next one in line, 1st v.p. had resigned as well. I knew the 1 st v.p. had been rather committed because he helped cook for some Region 6 events, so for him to quit, I knew something was wrong. As members started finding out that the "official" account of what took place was totally different from other reports, we started questioning what really went on. Some had requested for an inquiry into the situation at a board meeting, which was meet with stone wall resistance. If memory serves me correctly, some other members brought this up at the next board meeting and was futher denied. This is the rally at which John Stumpf was in attendance where, as I hear it, he beat upon a table stating that there will be no open disscussion on the matter.

Shortly after this took place, John Stumpf called me and said he had heard that my wife and I weren't planning on coming back to Mystic Springs. I told him he heard correctly. John told me he was seeking to work the situation out but was hoping that evryone would just put what had happened behind them and would eventually come back. John told me that the more he tried finding out what had happened the more confussed he became and couldn't make heads or tails out of it. Upon him telling me tis, I determined to find out on my own what all took place. I spoke to the Wilson's and got their side of the story. I spoke to Pat, who by now was claiming she didn't know a thing as to why the Wilson's and other weren't coming back, she claimed to be clueless. I spoke to the then self appointed president, Leslie Randall, she maintained the story that the Wilson's brought shame and dishonor upon the unit. I spoke to someone tht was at International who was familiar with what took place, and others that were at International, as well as friend's of the Wilson's. For me knowing the Wilson's, I found the "official" account hard to swallow because this would have been very out of character for the Wilson's to have acted that way. In my years of knowing them and seeing them perform under stress, I find them to be very gracious southern hospitality type people. During this time, I was still in contact with John Stumpf and continued to speak with him about my findings. I was also in contact with various board members, who have since resighned, as to possible solutions. Even some board members wanted a public forum as to what took plce but their requests were vehemently denied by self appointed president, Leslie Randall.

During this time, another member sent out an email to those on the unit's list as stating that he wsn't going to support and organization that had liers for its leaders. This is the member that Stumpf helped Pat Greggory file a grievance against, in retaliation for him sending out his email and as a way to discredit him. That grievance was determined to be without merit later at the IBT meeting, I read a copy of the report. During my private investion, I didn't just blindly take people's word, although I believed their word to be true, I had to written proof when it was available, this I believe, kept me as impartial as possible.

BTW-- The one that Pat filed her grievance against is the one who did a bunch of back hoe work and all at Mystic Spring Park earlier in the fall of 2009 and in the spring of 2010. I as a professional landscaper can attest to the fact the this guy did over $10,000 worth of work at the park for only the cost of the fuel. He also broke a hydralic piston while doing this work so it ws not cheap and he was pushing the capability of the machinery just to do as much as he possibly could. All the board gave him fo rthis otehr than fuel money, was a certificate to attend a rally for free.

After I concluded my own investigation is when I sent out my email with my findings. This is the email that Pat responded to by quoting the Bible and Sidra Spies Quoting the WBCCI by-laws, followed by a not so veiled threat of having a grievance filed against me.

I hope this helps fill in the cracks of information.

I am of the opinion that all John Stumpf had to was censor, reprimand or somehow disipline Pat for what she did. Some where demanding that she quit before they'd come back, this was my position as well. However, if Pat would had merely apoligized and asked for forgiveness, that would ahve gone a long way and it would have most assuredly swayed many to come back, most likely including me. Mr. Stumpf didn't do a thing, he said that even as Region 6 persident his hands were tied. I am of the opinion that Mr. Stumpf chose not to do a thing because of his personal friendship with Pat's husband, Jim. They're big time golfing buddies and all that. Therefore, I utlimately hold Mr. Stumpf responsible for the damage done to the unit and Mystic Springs Park.

I continue to no longer support the park because those remaining in attendance are in full knowledge as to the truth as to what all took place but they instead choose to ignore truth and instead, accept a lie.

There was a very common expression told to those with new ideas and it was, "We mustn't upset Pat!". That still holds true, dispite the fact that unit 29 lost somewhere around 35 member last year and stand to loose at least another 10% of their membership this year.

Instead of Mystic Spring's motto being: "The home of the hug and a handshake", it needs to be changed to: "We mustn't upset Pat!"!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I am so glad our experience has been totally different with the Georgia Unit. I realize it would be a long tow, but y'all are welcome at "Top of Georgia". It has proven to be a very friendly an welcoming group to us and that includes our young children and dog.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Different units are like night and day. Fortunately, we in Texas Highland Lakes have experienced little disruption and have picked up seven member couples in the last two months.

We will definitely lose some members if the motorhome thing goes through, though.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I have never been to a unit rally, however I have stayed at AS parks. I have noticed what appears to be selective enforcement and interpretation of the rules usually over minor issues. But what I may feel is minor may be a major deal to another. Could easily get out of hand. Jim
Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
I think some units tend to get too bend out of shape over following the letter of the by-laws and loose sight of Byrum's dream. The activities have to be centered around good comradidie, I know I mispelled that, and having a fun, relalxed time. Some good food doesn't hurt either! I visited a Forums rally a while back and really, what seems to be the big attractor is the plain laid back attitude. Even though the activities seem to be lacking at a Forums rally, because they don't want a set/firm agenda, they still attract a lot of people from way far away. What if the WBCCI were to reduce the legalities and formalities and focus on the rallies and other activities just being FUN? What was Wally's main focus on activities? A real impressive flag ceremony? Pomp and circumstance? Impressive rituals? From what I read, I think his focus was having an enjoyable time with friends, either they were old frineds or new friends!

Now when I was in the military, I didn't too much think that marching in formation to a retreat or change of command ceremony was all that much fun. In fact, standing at parade rest for an hour and a half sorta sucked! Why would that kind of junk be fun now that I'm out of the military, for anyone, really.

One of the early Boy Scout leaders had this to say about military style drill- that only an unimaginative person would even think that was an acceptable activity and rather than drill displaying the atributes of a leader it exposed that individual as lacking leadership qualities. A real leader uses imgination and creativity, has a vision, and a purpose! Does WBCCI have any of these attributes in its leaders? If so, we wherer is it? Doing things the way we always done it is a course to failure.

Here's a question for these uptight, strictly by the by-laws WBCCI "purists"- how do you explain the fact that the earliest of the Wally Byrum caravans allowed non Airstreams? Imagine that? Now, I'm all for everyone owning an Airstream, but, is the Club now what Wally envisioned it to be?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wally's vision was to promote whatever he sold. He also wanted to produce a quality product. He was innovative in both ways.

Caravans were to promote the product and learn something about durability, and have some fun too. After all, if everyone is having a good time, it promotes the product.

Caravans had a lot of rules because you've got to have them for a group of travelers to work together. That was in the tradition of the move west. Wally was the wagon master.

A club need not be run like a caravan, but it seems it is.

Gene
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Were not some carravans run before the AS owners formed the club? jim
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, but Wally's caravans set the stage for the club's formation and the company made the club happen as I understand it.

Gene
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Correct, jim