Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
WBCCI INTL RALLY ends July 4

WBCCI Members,

Does anyone other than myself think the summer intl rally is too late in the year?

In 2007, we skipped the Georgia rally and spent June in Vermont, N. Hamphire, & Maine as a prelude to the Viking caravan to Newfoundland which started on July 8 after the intl rally.

In 2008, the Southwest caravan is April 20-June 3. Do I really want to sit three weeks and wait for the Intl rally to start in Boseman?

The Alaska caravan starts July 9-Sept 14. Last year we left Yellowstone running in snow the last week in August.

Is there anything sacred about the intl ending on Wally's birthday?

I would appreciate comments by others. Maybe it is just our schedule that is full each summer that makes us think the intl rally is at the wrong time?
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi wingfoot'

there is something in the wb' holy bylaws 'bout the event including both...

independence day (usa 7/4/xx) and canada day (july 1 or 2)

this may all be covert gibberish and the real point is to include HIS b'day...

but that's now how it is written, as i recall.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
WBCCI Members,

Does anyone other than myself think the summer intl rally is too late in the year?

In 2007, we skipped the Georgia rally and spent June in Vermont, N. Hamphire, & Maine as a prelude to the Viking caravan to Newfoundland which started on July 8 after the intl rally.

In 2008, the Southwest caravan is April 20-June 3. Do I really want to sit three weeks and wait for the Intl rally to start in Boseman?

The Alaska caravan starts July 9-Sept 14. Last year we left Yellowstone running in snow the last week in August.

Is there anything sacred about the intl ending on Wally's birthday?

I would appreciate comments by others. Maybe it is just our schedule that is full each summer that makes us think the intl rally is at the wrong time?
I am a little confused, summer starts on June 21. The International is in the beginning of summer. When do you think the International should start, May?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The National caravan leaders pick the time their caravans start. They have been pretty good about having some end just before the International in a location close to the International. Other caravan leaders have usually chosen to have their caravans start slightly after the International. Maybe you question should be directed to the International Caravan Chairman. His E-mail is to be found on the WBCCI .org website.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Brings a new meaning to Born on the 4th of July. Now you know the rest of the story.

"Wallace Merle Byam was practically born a traveler. Born July 4, 1896 in Baker Oregon."
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Fourth of July, Our Independence Day

We have a celebration and tradition in the United States in having local celebrations on the Fourth of July. This is the birth of our Nation.

That is part of this equation.

Another reason for the International Rally being held on the Fourth of July is to celebrate Wally Byam's birthday. On Caravans this was a highlight of Summer Caravans. Wally loved the affair, the cakes, the cards, the meal and all of the trimmings of a birthday. Coupled with this, of course, is the love of the founding of our Nation, and Canada Day (July 1st).

I have read enough threads to see a minority of WBCCI members that are non-traditionalists. And that's great. Without alternative perspectives there is no change.

The International Rally was started to provide former Caravan members, and the newly formed Club members to renew their friendships. It is a fun thing. Also it was a pride of ownership. From the four corners of North America the Airstreams sparkled on thousands of highway miles. This symbolized that I am a member of the WBCCI, I’m proud of it, and I own an Airstream.

The International Rally is more than gathering. The Rally is a tribute to Wally Byam, the founding of two Nations, and the friendship of Club Members.

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn

Attached is Wally's Birthday July 4, 1955, Algonquin Provincial Park , Ontario, Canada (Wally, Stel and Helen)
Attached Images

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I think having the rally on the 4th is bad idea, I want to be home with my family.

In fact there are many of us that have large family funtions on the 4th.

If the date was moved a little the turn out would be greater I would think.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
So I guess it time for a change to be considered

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I think this proposal was made a couple of years ago and was analyzed because of the heats they had experienced around that date for 3 Internationals. The downsides presented at that time were many but I can remember a few: School is out at that time kids, teacher, school bus drivers are available to come. Timing of caravans to arrive and leave from the International.
The original poster complained that this year's caravan schedules did meet his expectations and would cause him to take a longer vacation between the caravans and participating in the International. He wrongly complained about the timing of the International to a forum which has no authority or responsiblity to solve the International's timing rather than complain to the Intenational Caravan Chairman that the chairman should have convinced his caravan leaders to cooridinate their caravan schedules with the timing of the International.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote