Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The regional rallies are the fun ones, the international, as I already said, is a business meeting. That's why there's nothing to do.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Weighing in on our first International - this was our first and we came here thinking it would not be fun - we have had an absolute blast ! We come to these events with the atitude that we are responsible for entertaining ourselves not expecting to be entertained - there are many sights in the area and we have met TONS of really great people - made new long term friendships - and are walking away with great memories - that's what the international and all rallies are about

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Protagonist, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what is legally required for the business meetings. I wonder if much of the business couldn't be condensed. For example, if all reports were submitted in advance and printed out, members could get those reports in advance of the meeting. I assume that minutes of the previous meeting are handled this way already, as is the Treasurer's report. The reports section of the meeting could thus be shortened quite a bit, down to a few minutes for specific questions. Maybe the business meeting could be limited to an hour or so.

Many brands have their major national rally close to the factory, at least every other year or so. Maybe WBCCI should consider doing the same. The emphasis should be on meeting people and getting questions answered, with a large dose of food and fun.

This is our first 4th of July as full-timers, and I must say that having a Rally/convention for this weekend is somewhat attractive. On the other hand, if we're trying to encourage younger families to participate maybe that isn't the best choice. Why not put it to the membership?
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Protagonist, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what is legally required for the business meetings. I wonder if much of the business couldn't be condensed. For example, if all reports were submitted in advance and printed out, members could get those reports in advance of the meeting. I assume that minutes of the previous meeting are handled this way already, as is the Treasurer's report. The reports section of the meeting could thus be shortened quite a bit, down to a few minutes for specific questions. Maybe the business meeting could be limited to an hour or so.
A couple of comments:

1. The agendas for the IBT and delegates meetings, including committee reports, are published well in advance of the meetings on the WBCCI web site.

2. The only people who have to attend the IBT and Delegates meetings are the members of the IBT and the Delegates. Other members are welcome, but no one needs to attend these meetings unless they want to, and in my experience at several Internationals, most don't.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #19

2005 25' Safari
Golden Valley , Minnesota
Gnorts, Sorry we did not meet we were parked 2 doors down in 4-58. We love tea and could have shared a cup together without the decorated hats. I agree that the heat killed the fun and should have been foreseen. We would have been able to add a couple of items to your list together. I they hadn't parked that motorhome between us, when our first neighbors left.
We did meet some same thinking folks and enjoyed eating out and touring with them very much.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
I wonder if much of the business couldn't be condensed. For example, if all reports were submitted in advance and printed out, members could get those reports in advance of the meeting. I assume that minutes of the previous meeting are handled this way already, as is the Treasurer's report. The reports section of the meeting could thus be shortened quite a bit, down to a few minutes for specific questions. Maybe the business meeting could be limited to an hour or so.
The actual length of the meetings varies with the amount of business on the agenda to discuss, but is usually less than the allotted time. The biggest time-saver so far is the "unanimous consent" rule that was passed a while back for the IBT, and passed this year for the delegates. Dispensing with roll call votes will save a lot of time. Unfortunately two delegates cast "opposed" votes on the unanimous consent rule, for whatever reasonó whether it's hidebound traditionalism or just a desire to make sure they have an opportunity to hear their own voice during votingó and I can already see every "unanimous consent" motion being defeated in favor of roll call votes, thus undermining the progress we've made. "Unless there is an objection, the motion will be passed by unanimous consent." "I object, and move that the vote be by roll call." "Seconded!"
Quote:
Many brands have their major national rally close to the factory, at least every other year or so. Maybe WBCCI should consider doing the same. The emphasis should be on meeting people and getting questions answered, with a large dose of food and fun.
Airstream, Inc. already sponsors a non-WBCCI rally every year at the factory, called Alumapalooza. WBCCI members are also welcome to attend, or so I'm told. I haven't made it to Alumapalooza yet because I was working for a living and didn't own my own schedule, but now that I'm retired, I will make it to one, eventually.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
We come to these events with the attitude that we are responsible for entertaining ourselves not expecting to be entertained - there are many sights in the area and we have met TONS of really great people - made new long term friendships - and are walking away with great memories - that's what the international and all rallies are about
Ken J - I think that is a great quote and that is the exact way folks should attend any trailer rally.

Next year my family will likely have an opportunity to attend the International in WV since it is close to home. Does the International make you pay one price or is it something where we could come for a shorter amount of time? We are in our mid 40's, working and raising a kid - vacation time needs to be carefully planned out.
One comment I heard from another unit member is that moving the date of the International is going to conflict with some of the summer caravans. They are going on the Alaska caravan next year and he wasn't sure there would be enough travel time between the end of the International and making it to the first day for their caravan.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thank you for the kind words - as I understand it the WBCCI has a three day weekend rate as well as a daily rate - I met someone who was there for the first weekend - I understand she paid about $180 and also met some folks who were there for a night or two and think they told me they paid $55 a night - I saw them have a great time as well

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
One comment I heard from another unit member is that moving the date of the International is going to conflict with some of the summer caravans.
I've heard that as well. That's unfortunate. But except for IBT members, no one has to attend the International, so given a choice between a caravan and the International, I'm sure most will choose the caravan; there will always be another International the next year, and there's no waiting list for that.

Okay, Unit delegates/alternates have to attend as well, but no one has to be a delegate or alternate; any Unit member or affiliate member can be designated as a delegate or alternate. So anyone wanting to go on a summer caravan can just insist that they not be designated as their Unit's delegate or alternate.

I don't even see the schedule conflict as causing a decline in attendance at the International. The handful of people who have a schedule conflict with a summer caravan should be offset by new attendees who previously wouldn't attend the International because of a schedule conflict, namely wanting to spend time with non-WBCCI family for the holiday weekend.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote