Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Favorite part of Alumapalooza was Happy Hour. The International could sure use one.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sounds like Alumapalooza was a good deal. This is the 2nd year we haven't been able to fit it into our lives, maybe next year.

As for old people's music, I was raised on rock 'n' roll, rhythm and blues, blues, jazz, and more rock 'n' roll and I'm plenty old. This music became popular in the early to mid '50's, so anyone 65 and older had an opportunity to choose it or champagne bubbles. My parents didn't like Lawrence Welk either though Perry Como was their style. When Alan Freed came to NYC in 1954, music changed fast, but not for everyone.

This is really a culture wars issue—the WBCCI leaders seem to prefer Welk, a military styled organization, and little democracy. Formality is disappearing and even news anchors are starting to not wear ties. 1940's culture may doom the WBCCI.

Gene

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
We had a great time at Alumapalooza and we are signing up for next year. I'm 78 and I really enjoyed the kids and dogs and happy hours.

I stick with WBCCI only because of good friends in the unit. I will never attend another International rally. WBCCI is stuck in the Senator McCarthy era and will probably die before it.breaks those shackles. It was nice to spend a week at JC without having folks marching around with flags and praying. IMHO, marching around with with flags belongs in the military and public praying belongs in churches.

WBCCI could learn a lot from Alumapalooza for the international rally, but they will not "lower themselves" to do so. This year, the international rally will be another cash loser with way less than 600 rigs and attendance at future years will be even fewer as the old guard dies off.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
We are new Airstream owners and attended Alumapalooza. My wife and I feel we are young (47 yrs old) with 4 teenage boys. We didn't bring the boys this time. We really enjoyed Alumapalooza as our first Airstream event. We considered the International but in no way can we justify the cost of the event. Hopefully, ASL Alumapalooza will be able to figure out how to get a lot more trailers into the fields at Jackson Center. This event will get huge.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
Favorite part of Alumapalooza was Happy Hour. The International could sure use one.
For a good Happy Hour at International, go over to the vintage parking area.

(The International at Bozeman was the first place I ever saw a gas-engine-powered Margarita machine. . . )
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
For a good Happy Hour at International, go over to the vintage parking area.

(The International at Bozeman was the first place I ever saw a gas-engine-powered Margarita machine. . . )
And that's the point. Happy Hour at Alumapalooza was for everyone. The International does not have one.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
All are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
And that's the point. Happy Hour at Alumapalooza was for everyone. The International does not have one.
Just as an FYI, the Happy Hour in the Vintage area is always open to ANY Airstream owner.................

This is always the case with any Vintage Airstream Club event.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #22

1966 24' Tradewind
Windham , New Hampshire
Alumapalooza vs International

Wayne and I also went to Alumapalooza for the first time. When arriving and seeing how everyone was parked came shades of International ran through my head!

BOY was I wrong!

We had a great time at Alumapalooza. It was simple, uncomplicated, fun, interesting and educational. We saw people we had not seen in years and enjoyed every minute of it. Another thing I really enjoyed was there was exercise with biking and yoga.

Alumapalooza was very refreshing!

PS, We loved seeing you guys again, Ed and Sandi.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Dieing rally

To find an international rally with poorer attendance than this one, or even last years it is necessary to go back to the SECOND international rally held in Wisconsin Dells in 1959. (515) Then the attendance was increasing with each passing year.

The death spiral is spinning faster
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I checked out the International Rally in Southern Illinois. We were boondocking on our property when it was going on. I wanted to see what it was all about so we took a ride up to check it out. I don't know what a respectable number of airstreams is supposed to be at these rally's, but I will say the place was a sea of airstreams.

We walked around and talked to some people and we were even recruited to join the organization. Everybody we spoke with was nice and kind. We checked out the Vintage airstreams and we took back some great ideas for our 1960 Overlander. I don't know what a respectable size is supposed to be for the vintage numbers but there were some nice trailers there, but not a bunch.

Everybody was very nice and kind and let us check out their rigs. I guess I have a wild hair because it was way to quiet and peaceful for me. I need a bit of craziness in my life. They got rocked with some storms, but it always cleared up and was nice.

Brian