Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
WBCCI International attendance: Holding is good

I'm glad that we seem to have at least stemmed the tide of reduced attendance at the International. It'll take more work, of course, but the signs are not quite as bad as they once were.

We're by no means alone in this. The much larger FMCA is meeting now in Madison with attendance at 1400 motorhomes. They were last in Madison in 2011, and at that meeting they had just under 2000 motorhomes. A friend of ours, a member of their board, says that they've been sweating over what to do about it. And it appears that they've got some work to do.

1,400 motorhome owners gather in Wisconsin | RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News and Campground Information

Lynn
Old 08-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
We plan to go to the 2017 International Rally. It's in Escanaba! Can't imagine a huge turnout because the UP is not exactly the easiest place to get to, but how can we not go when it's four hours from our house? We're not gunna wear badges or berets or ties though! 😉
Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If you won't wear a badge, don't expect anyone to address you by name. But rather, hey you.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
We plan to go to the 2017 International Rally. It's in Escanaba! Can't imagine a huge turnout because the UP is not exactly the easiest place to get to, but how can we not go when it's four hours from our house? We're not gunna wear badges or berets or ties though! 😉
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
If you won't wear a badge, don't expect anyone to address you by name. But rather, hey you.
That works for me. I answer to "Hey, you!" Call me anything but late to dinner…

But then again, I've learned the hard way that WBCCI has its own time zone, where everything starts at least 15 minutes early, so if you're just on time, you're late!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Yeahbut, now I know your name, thanks to the infamous name tags.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That works for me. I answer to "Hey, you!" Call me anything but late to dinner…

But then again, I've learned the hard way that WBCCI has its own time zone, where everything starts at least 15 minutes early, so if you're just on time, you're late!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Yeahbut, now I know your name, thanks to the infamous name tags.
As it happens, as of just a couple minutes ago, my WBCCI name badge says that my name IS "Hey, You." We'll see how long it takes anyone in my unit to notice.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Apologies for helping to drag the thread off-topic. Now to get back on topic, the 2016 International in Lewisburg, WV is already on track to exceed the 2015 Farmington attendance. Before the 2015 International ended, almost half of the attendees had already signed up for 2016, a full year in advance.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am signed up for 2016, and as a Cheesehead from my year in Milwakee, 1965, and a regular attendee at Road America, the Escanaba venue works for me.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We did our first and last International this year.

We are not WBCCI politically inclined and see no reason to attend again. We are approaching the local region rally this fall in the same frame of mind.

For us, the fun is not in mob scenes, but the smaller local events and individual trips to enjoy nature.

Have not been too pleased in the sardine commercial RV parks either.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
To each his own. Better to not go rather than go with false expectations and ruin it for others.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If your not into touring (caravaning) and do not like other people, maybe WBCCI is not for you. The large gatherings allow us to hire better entertainment and provide better benefits at a reasonable per attendee cost. WBCCI is in the entertainment business. If you do not want to be entertained, you can save $65/yr, by doing your own thing.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One must belong to the WBCCI in order to participate in most local unit events. We are signed up for a major caravan next year. As a life member, I contributed to the endowment to help WBCCI continue.

It was reported that there were about 412 trailers and Interstates that showed up at Farmington, which means about 95% of the membership was some where else.

We were glad to have had the experience this year at a relatively close by International event.

So our decision to be a part of other WBCCI and local events is not adversely impacted by our decision that the International will not be an event we wish to do again. Every one chooses what floats their own boat.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
It was reported that there were about 412 trailers and Interstates that showed up at Farmington, which means about 95% of the membership was some where else.
Let's look at it another way.

The Mid-Winter IBT is a business meeting and makes no effort to hide the fact. They even make a point of saying it's NOT a rally. Attendance is about 100 Airstreams per year, which is still more than they strictly need to conduct the club business. Nobody makes a big deal if attendance is up or down from one year to the next, as long as the business gets done.

The International Rally is a business meeting at the core of it, but it has a big rally wrapped around it. The same people who have to be at the Mid-Winter IBT have to be at the International to conduct the necessary club business. Pretty much everybody else is either a volunteer on one committee or another, or they're just there to have fun— and even the volunteers are there to have fun, 'cause if it's not fun, why volunteer? Everybody makes a big deal if attendance is up or down from one year to the next, but still the club business gets done.

I for one do not see attendance at the International as the primary measure of the club's success. To me, attendance at the Unit rallies is the true measure of the club's success, because that's the level where Joe and Jane Average get to play, and where they'll see the benefits of membership.

My unit had 26 members, and yet at any given Unit rally there are always the same six or eight members, and I've never even met most of the others. So what do the other eighteen-odd members get for their membership since they don't participate in the events? Obviously they must perceive some benefit or they wouldn't belong. Until I can figure out why they belong even though they don't participate, I won't be able to do anything meaningful to help boost membership— and participation— in my unit.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I thought about joining the WBCCI and I am sure there are many benefits. I talked to some people and read a lot of info. It just seemed to formal for me. I bought the trailer to hit the road and explore, the thought of chapter meetings and formality is not in line with that. I still have young kids, so maybe down the road one day I will feel different and join.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Oh man, I don't even know what WBCCI is, where 2015 will be and when and how to get involved. I'm only a three year Airstreamer.
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Attendance or participation....It's always the 80/20 rule. We attended the International in Madison ...out first ever. I had a great time; My wife not so much...camping on pavement is not her thing. We have not gone farther afield due to health reasons, and the cost of health insurance out of country following recent cancer treatments. But we will definitely be at Escanaba all other things being reasonable. We absolutely love the UP, using it to get to Thunder Bay Ontario from Southern Ontario and getting there for most from the south, east or west is not such a big deal. Straight up 75 in Michigan; a little more complex through Wisconsin, but either way it is a day plus of travel from the bottom of Lake Michigan to the UP and another short day in the UP.

Hope to see some of you there!

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
You will likely need your badges to see the entertainment. I think you will find it worth the effort!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:

Bill

Oh heck, I guess we'll get into the full swing of the experience - at least once - and go with an open mind. My wife tends to bristle when faced with rules, so it will be interesting. Packed in tight will be tough, but I used to love the old NCHA rallies for the great camaraderie they generated and hope to get a dose of that again.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Well, I have to add my 2 cents! WBCCI, IMHO, is all about the Units, and to a certain extent the Region. WBCCI is in the FELLOWSHIP business! We have never been to International, but we plan to in 2017 as part of a previously planned trip to Winnipeg, Manitoba and Fort William (Canadians will appreciate this!) in Ontario going on to the UP and then down to Dearborn MI for the Henry Ford Museum. WBCCI can stand all sorts of members; super casuals who attend very few Rallies on up to super politicals who are into EVERYTHING.
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We did our first and last International this year.

We are not WBCCI politically inclined and see no reason to attend again. We are approaching the local region rally this fall in the same frame of mind.

For us, the fun is not in mob scenes, but the smaller local events and individual trips to enjoy nature.

Have not been too pleased in the sardine commercial RV parks either.
Very well said!
For some folks RVing is not about any singular or social aspect - rather it is about individual appreciation of the wonders this country has to offer. We have made many friends through this forum as well as WBCCI, but also enjoy being "far from the madding crowd".
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote