Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
WBCCI Good Read

If you have any questions about or interest in the future of WBCCI these letters from an insider might be worth reading.

http://www.wbcci2.org/Pons-on-change.pdf

If the future leaders are quitting in protest that may indicate a problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Excellent!!!!!!!!!! I agree, his writing blew me away. He has it right on the money. If you like that read, Phil has two more here.

3-part series:

1. Change Within Organizations
2. Leadership for the Future
3. Concerns for WBCCI

Phil Pons Writes About LEADERSHIP

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That is very thought provoking. I hope that the people in charge, read, understand, and digest it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

One of the best reads I've had in a while on the subject....I found myself agreeing more and more each paragraph......this guy know what he's talkin' about. I agree, hope people in the altitudes I neither fly or breathe in take his words to heart.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
With all due respect to Mr. Pons, I find "management-speak" incredibly dull. I slipped into a coma reading the first two essays. The third (Concerns) wasn't bad, but it really could be distilled into a single page.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I think someone with Pon's credentials would be a bit more careful about unsupported assertions of a vague nature. The good points tend to get sidetracked by the catering to the mob, I think.

I will remember him as the person to whom I gave an immediate and concrete example of equity theory motivation at his leadership seminar on motivation - he chose instead to use my suggestion as a means to impugn me and do all those nasty things many accuse the IBT of doing to ideas and opinions they don't like.

It does little of any good to call change a crisis. It does little good to define a straw man to blame for your ills. If you do not have an accurate measure of just what you think is a problem, you are at severe risk of missing the mark on your solutions as well.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I don't know how much success there will be in the upper leadership heeding, caring, and accepting Phil's words. I think Phil offered to have his papers published in the Blue Beret and I have not seen them there so far... (Sorry Howie I see all three papers are included in the single document, my error.)

But what I have seen is Leo Garvey come out to run from the floor again this year at International. He made a great showing last year and this year it could be the year he makes it all the way to become elected to the nominating committee!!! It just goes to show... as much as they tried... you just can't keep a good man down. Make sure you and your entire unit votes. It's time for change!!!!

VOTE FOR LEO!!

Here's another real good read...Leo's candidacy statement for International Nominating Committee for 2009.

2009_WBCCI_International_Nominating_Committee.pdf

Then you can also post directly over to Save Wally as well as here on Air Forums and WBCCI. Let's show our support for positive action.

From-the-Floor Candidate for International Nominating Committee

photography
Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for sharing - VERY interesting reading.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs down

Breaking news! What's going on?

Censorship and obstruction and a missing web master's name all after uploading Leo G's position statement for running for nominating committee this year. Nothing remains of candidates statements on Region 9 website. Running for office in the WBCCI seems to be inappropriate material to post or distribute according to the current Executive Committee. There will be no Blue Beret space alloted for position statements or statements viewable online at any site controlled by the WBCCI. UMMMM....

http://savewally.org/forums/index.ph...10091#msg10091

photography
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
With all due respect to Mr. Pons, I find "management-speak" incredibly dull. I slipped into a coma reading the first two essays. The third (Concerns) wasn't bad, but it really could be distilled into a single page.
Anyone of us that is in business and has had this crap shoved down our throats from too many "How to be a great Manager" books knows that this "paper" is a bunch of quotes taken from those books. NO original thoughts here.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
Anyone of us that is in business and has had this crap shoved down our throats from too many "How to be a great Manager" books knows that this "paper" is a bunch of quotes taken from those books. NO original thoughts here.
I wonder if it was written while sitting around a campfire enjoying all that our wonderful trailers have to offer. If I even thought about having to write a paper or article about an organization which I belong to for pleasure such as the one Mr. Pons penned I know it would be time for me to move on. Not detracting for Mr. Pons effort, loyalty, and insight but it doesn't seem like a fun way to spend your time.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
I am a bus driver but never get naked on the job so you can trust me.

I did not post this for its literary content original or not but rather to demonstrate that there is a crack in the hierarchy of the WBCCI. We sit around the campfire and frequently discuss the need for change in the WBCCI leadership. Now you can see that at least one of those leaders agrees.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Do actions speak louder than words?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I did not post this for its literary content original or not but rather to demonstrate that there is a crack in the hierarchy of the WBCCI. We sit around the campfire and frequently discuss the need for change in the WBCCI leadership. Now you can see that at least one of those leaders agrees.
Ex-leader, actually. Phil punctuated his third paper--the gist of his concerns--by resigning his position as Region 2 First Vice President.

Which may (or may not) lend insight into his assessment of the likelihood of any improvement in the situation.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Honestly, Ed, I'm not sure how many "original" thoughts there are on leadership. To borrow a quote, the ancients stole all of my greatest ideas.

The "management culture" has given rise to the wonderful, comedic rebuttal of "Dilbert" and my favorite calendar.

In my experience, the best way to lead, or to change an organization, is to use plain language. Soldiers don't charge up a hill to take an enemy position because they want to go from "good to great." As noted on another thread, ex-military (particularly officers) are often handicapped by a lifetime of professional experience in the type of management approach Dilbert lampoons and by a culture steeped in bureaucratic imperative. When an organization faces a transformational challenge, everything these managers know is working against them.

I don't know if any of this relates to the WBCCI, but I see this dynamic in other organizations. Old school managers are looking for the next book to help them solve the problem while leaders improvise, adapt and overcome. Honestly, we've never needed leaders more... nor have they ever been harder to find.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote