Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
I thought AirForums rallies were already an alternative to WBCCI rallies. Now there is talk of a third group forming? I'm running out of weekends as it is already!

Between Metro NY rallies, WDCU rallies, Watchung NJ unit rallies, state and region events, International, Airforums events, and Vintage Trailer Jam, I think I will get to enjoy Jersey Shore Haven Airstream Park six weekends between April and Oct. Aarrgghh - the season is too short here in the NE.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
I'm in wbcci for the great local folk we can camp with . I couldn't give a rat's a** about the high and mighty! They can do what ever self gratification they want. On the local level the folk are great and I'll pay the cost to camp with them! Don't think this will get me thrown out!
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
he chose instead to use my suggestion as a means to impugn me and do all those nasty things many accuse the IBT of doing to ideas and opinions they don't like.
Seems I've heard this line before. Does bryanl=leipper? If so, why the username change?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
What, did you quit after the 1st two lead-up papers? Nothing positive to say about what was clearly and concisely spelled out in the third?
No surprises here bud...
I guess what I see is a waste of my time reading the first two papers, and to be honest I want it back. The third has been stated over and over again by all kinds of people in the club, I want that time back too. NO surprises, yep you are correct.

What I do see is is more of the same but no activity to getting a solution. I do see more negative information on the club that will not help draw new members with that bad press. With this kind of stuff out and about and all the fussing without REAL action the WBCCI will die.

What I see is complaining and threats to the leadership, this pushes them into a corner and also closes their minds further, boy that's a step in the wrong direction. This gets us no closer to a solution and continues to cause a split.

I say give it a rest and go pull your trailers.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
What is driving the conversation of change at the WBCCI is primarily declining membership. my observations of the problem with attracting new members comes down to ageism. the club is run by kind folks at the IBT level who all happen to be retired persons. makes total sense - what younger working person could possibly hold an IBT position? the demands of travel that the positions hold throughout the year are too great for a working stiff.

a new airstreamer in there thirties, forties, or fifties, looks at the club from afar and see's clicky old folks at unit events and are immediately turned off. these aspirants from what i have observed here at the forum are close minded, and most likely, anti-social people are not interested in becoming friends with people outside of their own comfort zone or generation. as a forty something with wbcci members i call good friends in who are in their 60's, 70,s 80's, and 90's...all i can say is too bad for the naysayers.

the IBT has an impossible task in overcoming these first impression encounters at the unit level. admittedly they have made a number of weak moves over the past couple of years to counter this trend - name change, open club up to thor brands, etc. as a way of fixing the problem.

it's my opinion that there is no plausible fix. it is up to individual airstream owners as to whether they are open to socializing with people outside of their own comfort zones. it would take a slick marketing effort AND a complete make-over at the unit level for this to happen. neither of which do i see ever happening.

i am convinced that the wbcci will continue to attract only new airstreamers of true charachter who are comfortable engaging and socializing with folks outside of their own generation. this is fine by me - as the quality people of all ages that i meet at wbcci rallies fit that wonderful mold. happy hours, pot lucks, campfires, amazing camping places, and wonderful people - the wbcci is for me and my airstreaming friends and thankfully not for all.

we do not need to go out of our way to dillute this wonderful dynamic. Leo offer an interesting solution to club finances at...http://savewally.org/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1369.0;attach=1453

--dave
Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Sidelines??? I Think Not!

Quote:
Is that all you have Ed? Follow that one golden rule and we'll suddenly be running in the black and membership will grow? Or by just joining you on the sidelines, the club just might last long enough to get us another 10-15 years down the road, and that should be good enough?

If somebody doesn't drive home these points and directions, those at the top will ignore them, pretty much like everything else that gets ignored...

__
Sit on the sideline? Hum, let me count the number of new members I have helped join the club, Hum, let me count the number of rallies I have hosted or will host this year, Hum let me count the number of caravans I have organized or participated in, Hum, let me count the years in the club and the years I have worked from the inside to help it, Hum, if anything you can't say I sit on the sidelines. Let's compare who is doing what..........

What am I willing to do???
Well continue to work with my Unit to help it grow, to help reduce the conflict that this bad press causes. To look for openings that will make my Unit more cohesive and welcoming. To continue to invite more to join us, to host rallies and caravans, to help the VAC to stay strong, to help people restore their units and provide information that I have gathered over the almost 12 years I have been in the club. That's what I do, I'm not standing on the outside bitching all the time.

I have seen these points driven home many many times, heck I have been in the room with the IBT I HAVE SEEN IT LIVE!!!! One on 7!

Hey, they get it, they know some of us are not happy, they know changes are needed but its beyond them. They don't get enough time in office to do anything but the same old same old. Maybe if some of their time was freed up by not having to deal with the little fires they could take that time and deal with the Fire Storm we might see some headway.

The approach needs to change, calling them names, calling them incompetent, calling them out each and every time every little thing comes up that we don't like is just another wedge driven between us and them. (lets face it look at the amount of time wasted complaining about the time the IBT took to discuss Badges!!!! and this is just one example)

To me its all a big waste of time, what is important is my next rally, my next Airstream renovation, my next positive impact on a non-WBCCI member. That's how I choose to spend my time, and its not on the Sideline.

Lets talk 10 - 15 years from now, I'll still be Streaming I just hope you can be out there too.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well hey, don't feel as if you are obligated to single out these threads and waste your time telling us what a waste of time these pursuits and posts are, that's like wasting our time we could be using to do more name calling and badge complaining! But thanks for sharing.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
So tell me

Beyond reading and posting and starting threads, tell me what all of us can do to strengthen this club. I want actions, physical activity, organized, positive impact items not thoughts, theories and quotes that have been over used.

See, I run into this all the time at work, thoughts, meetings and over thinkers. Those of us that make an impact put rubber on the road and go to work.
Hosting any rallies? Helping someone? Looking for one good thing to share?
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Extreme makeover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
it would take a slick marketing effort AND a complete make-over at the unit level for this to happen. neither of which do i see ever happening.--dave
Not sure what you mean about "a complete makeover at the unit level". The fact is that many units are successful, meaning that they are growing, or at least maintaining their membership levels as their older members age out of Airstreaming. Jerry Larson recognized this in his "State of the WBCCI" presentation.

The fact is that the WBCCI of the future, the one that everybody wants, exists today in successful units. I don't know if the Executive Committee has studied the differences between units that are growing and units that are shrinking. And if they have, I don't know if they are willing to accept the results.

Like Ed, I don't see that I have any control over what the International club is going to do. I will put my effort into making my unit successful, in the hope that it will survive, even if the International club does not.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
So What are you going to do!!!

Quote:
Who is on the outside bitching? The only ones I pay any real attention to are fully engaged, and there are plenty.

We all work our own backyards, there's nothing less going on here. But as you're off taking care of your unit and your rallies, what's happening to the club? We lost 5 units in '08, it doesn't matter if they dissolved or merged. How many did we lose in '07? How many will we lose in '09?

Allowing things to continue on course hurts us all, and no matter what you think about the criticism, nothing is being done to turn this around. Show me the initiative, show me the changes, show me the modernization.

It's great what we all do locally, but numbers don't lie. This club is in trouble, and all of our local efforts aren't turning this thing around. What you do locally is relevant, what this club focuses on at the top is not. Time to get them in sync with what should be going on...

Running in the red is not acceptable. We have to get away from these twilight zone images of a 50's paramilitary squad. We need to focus on what you and I both focus on locally, but they just don't get it.

You might think you have a say, but you don't. Try and raise a topic that you're concerned about, from the floor, at the Delegates Seminar. Let me know what happens.

These folks claim this is a bottom-up organization, yet they completely control the Delegates Seminar, the only place where 130 units have representation. They can sit next to one another, but they are not allowed to work together in this bottom-up club.

You don't fix that, you don't get units working together forcing change at the top, you're going to see this financial and membership spiral accelerate. You're not going to fix that with local meetings and local rallies, and local caravans. It's way beyond that.

All in all, it's nice to get your opinion out there once in a while. Thanks for playing!

__
Hey Leo, we all have our way of looking at things but what are you going to do to clean up the red ink, the dead units, modernizing of the club. WHAT are you doing other than trying to run from the floor and we all know how that will turn out again. What are you doing? Thats my question?

I seen some of your planned actions, not that I agree buy hey we all have our own way. (Madison)
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Stepping up to the plate to try to get into office is the MOST anyone can do if they are not strong arming IBT, maybe you could do that, being a man that wants to see action. Leo is trying to play by the right rules, only they keep changing them the closer he gets to succeeding. It appears it makes you uncomfortable that all others have not abondoned the goal of trying to have members concerns addressed and represented, when you gave up. No time for that effort anymore? Fine. But why misdirect all that energy that rightly should go up against current leadership now towards those that would try zealously to make a difference? Your frustrations are misplaced.

I say Hooray for Leo and Phil Pons and Bob Thompson and all the others that care deeply over important issues and do not get mesmerized with distractions and forget what leadership is all about. They aren't your target really, they just happen to be easier for you to hit.

photography
Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
65GT
Thats terrible losing 5 whole units. ITS a shame that no one at the top is looking down and Seeing the Red Ink and the spiraling out of control loses. Whats really gut wrenching is the people like U that are fighting to keep the Club afloat are being pulled under by the militaristic people at the top that are not willing to give up Roberts Rules and dress codes and the like.
I hate to say this, But let em crash an burn and then when there is no more WBCCI, Start over . I know I will not live long enough to see it but it will come if they continue on the present path.
Under new management and complete overhaul, I just might even consider joining.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
not sure

I've read all these posts and replies, while wanting to join the WBCCI you have given me a reason to rethink my position
I have enough thinking and meetings and "Richards Rules" to last me and I don't want to think about them when I'm away with the stream.
I do beleive that your stance for change is valid for the survival of any organization, so I will watch and see where I need to be

Take Care
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman View Post
I have enough thinking and meetings and "Richards Rules"
Are you referring to Robert's Rule of Order? Robert Rules come in to play little if at all at the Unit level. If you are on the fence about joining I suggest attending a local Rally this summer to get a better sense of the club. Without doing that you'll never truly know what you're missing out on.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
What can any of us do to help the club grow? ...to help the club change? ...to help stem the flow of red ink?

1. Participate in the process.

2. Sign up new members who want to have fun.

3. Vote for those who share your views.

4. Keep having fun. Be a carrier!

I wonder how many unit officers are here on the Forums?

As for backing the IBT into a corner, isn't that when real leaders come forward? Keep up the pressure, but keep having fun. Change is coming, but you don't have to wait for it to change your own unit.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I couldn't agree with you more, Leo. You are going above and beyond. From speaking with members of your unit, I'm certain they are having a great time in the club. If every unit makes the changes you have made, change is certain. After all, the Region Presidents come from the ranks of the Units and the IBT comes from the Region Ranks. Do we need to wait 6 years or so? I hope not.

The things we can change, we change. The things we can influence, we try to influence.

Everything else, we save for the future and the will of the masses.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Did you see Leo's wide panaramic photos of the Wagon Wheel rally? That's over in the photo section on SaveWally.org forums section. http://savewally.org/forums/index.ph...y;sa=view;id=7 (Be sure to scroll the entire width side to side.) That is super cool and the locations have been super. He has members of all ages looking forward to the rallies. Hes a good promoter and how many times have you heard him encourage someone to go have fun at their local unit? EVERY single opportunity he gets!!! The unit guide is also very helpful and a huge effort to create and maintain it for the entire WBCCI. The in multifaceted indexing will blow you away and have you happily at your destination within a click or two. Great work!

photography
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
we do not need to go out of our way to dillute this wonderful dynamic. Leo offer an interesting solution to club finances at...http://savewally.org/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1369.0;attach=1453
--dave
Dave

This link did not work for me. Is it correct or can you repost?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
try this

http://savewally.org/forums/index.ph....0;attach=1453

photography
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Nice Writting But............

[quote=65GT;674762]I'm doing everything I can do as a working member. What, are you no longer following along? Having trouble finding out what I will do, and what I would do (if I could)? I'm surprised Ed, but I'll lead you to water if you like...

Candidacy Statement:
http://region5.wbcci.net/files/2009/03/garvey.pdf

Positions (well half of them, the other half is coming):
Only Improvements » All Those In Favor

...and its all easily DOABLE!

That's just some quick fixes, plenty more to come. So Ed, how do you propose to fix things on the National level?

DOABLE???? not from the outside.

Nice piece of writing, I have seen it over and over again. Now let’s get some rubber on the road:

How are you going to mend the bridges that you have destroyed with the majority? You lost last year, how are you planning to gather enough votes to get in to do the great things you write about? How are you going to sway the majority that is in control to your ways? To be truthful most are pissed at you. You see, your history is against you, they don't forget and they have the keys to the car, do you really think they are going to let you drive? Hey I've seen what they will do and you have too.

What do I propose? Well that's a good question. I think first of all you need to look to working with Regional Reps and see what they truly want and build those relationship(s). I know that in my Region you do not control the majority anymore. I would hold out the olive branch to the IBT and see if they will meet with you and those that think like you. Establish some constructive conversations instead of taking pot shots with forums' postings. I think you need to give consideration to who you have joined forces with and weed out the ones that just don't make any sense and want to stir up commotion for the sake of commotion now. (A CHANGE IS COMING!!!!)

You have to become a mainstreamer no matter how bad it hurts you to do so! Sadly you will not do this and will again be on the outside looking in

See I don’t disagree with what you preach, I just disagree with your methods, flying off the handle at most things you don’t agree to, continuing to hand hold those that will never get it, threats, lawyers, and other ways to destroy the club in the name of progress. I have problems with your approach, but hey I’m only one person speaking out, what I think you need to do is look at yourself and ask is this the best way?

So what am I going to do? Support my Unit, influence my Unit and Regional leadership with positive feedback and try to draw more into the fold with that positive way of approaching this crisis. See, I am going to work the system by working in it not against it. I will pick my battles and do the best that I can. My running for Region Rep taught me a very important lesson; you CAN’T win fighting them with a frontal assault you have to infiltrate them by looking like the majority.

Don’t worry about me and what I will do, worry about the IBT and the others they control and what they will do to you.

So again here I sit waiting for the flaming. Lets win the hearts and minds while burning the villages.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign