Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #57
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my bus driver in middle school was very attractive. At 13, I would have trusted her with anything.

But on a side note... camping every weekend in May, two weekends in June plus one week to and at International in June, then a week of July at and back from international plus another weekend in July, Trailer JAM in August during my birthday, two weekends in August, two in September, and one in October.
Yes folks, I am dreaming of camping. My carlisles will pull many miles to the road this year for sure.

Ed, I will have an unlimited supply of cold ones under my awning for you. If we chase the kids off, there might be time for us in the pool too.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I'm a newbie that has had concerns with joining the WBCCI. I have read the third paper, don't really feel like taking the time to read 1 and 2. Bottom line is that like many companies out there right now that are on the brink of going under, the WBCCI suffers from the syndrome of doing things the way they've always been done and not adapting to the future. There's many statistics out there that say that younger folks (myself included) are not really interested in "grouping". The way that the WBCCI does business must change with the times. Quitting is not the answer though...joining and working is the answer. We have to be willing to say when something needs change and we have to work to change things for the better. I have to say that my wife and I were recently contemplating NOT joining the WBCCI because we didn't see much advantage to it. We still plan to visit one more local unit before abandoning all local units and joining WDCU. WDCU has it together, they have it right, and they have it in the 21st century.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up That's the spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
The way that the WBCCI does business must change with the times. Quitting is not the answer though...joining and working is the answer. We have to be willing to say when something needs change and we have to work to change things for the better. I have to say that my wife and I were recently contemplating NOT joining the WBCCI because we didn't see much advantage to it. We still plan to visit one more local unit before abandoning all local units and joining WDCU. WDCU has it together, they have it right, and they have it in the 21st century.
I appreciate your willingness to be part of the solution rather than just avoiding the problem. I think WDCU will be a good unit for you, and don't forget that as a member of any unit (or as a member at large) you can attend any unit's rally. If you visit several units you will find widely different styles, and you may find some you want to spend more time with.

Welcome to the WBCCI!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I see lots of complaints about Robert's Rules of Order. They are a neutral thing. They can be used to squash things or to open up things. There has to be some order to a meeting because a chaotic meeting is just as bad as a heavily controlled one. Read them and learn when they are being misused and how to counter misuse or to open up things. They are not terribly interesting (or even understandable) to most people, but those who try to control things can be countered. There may be WBCCI rules which operate against or for change. Read them too, master them, use them to democracy's benefit.

Gene
Old 03-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #61
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
WDCU has it together, they have it right, and they have it in the 21st century.
The WDCU is definitely one of the more progressive units out there. There are others as well of course, (like mine, the NEU ) and thankfully more are starting to see the light everyday.

Interestingly, the WDCU will be caravanning through your state of Ohio during late June on their way to the International Rally. From Pittsburgh, they'll be stopping at the Mothership (Jackson Center), take the factory tour together, stay the night, and then head off the next morning for the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart, Indiana.

Maybe you might want to hook up with them somewhere on the road?

WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170)
Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Years Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
That's a scary thought!

Anybody particular you had in mind?
I drove in the 70's, I think I was dressed............ most of the time!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Mine Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
my bus driver in middle school was very attractive. At 13, I would have trusted her with anything.

Ed, I will have an unlimited supply of cold ones under my awning for you. If we chase the kids off, there might be time for us in the pool too.
Audry was her name and she was HOT!!!!

I'll bring my Speedo!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Enough about the people being younger than the trailer! This happens to be the situation of my wife and I!

I realize this is said in good fun, but it's also part of the stigma that is slowing down the WBCCI. Unless people buy new trailers (has anyone checked the prices lately?!??!) there are going to be increasingly more people with trailers older than themselves. Besides, we like old stuff. Everyone ought to be happy that I chose and AS to be my first vintage purchase vs. a John Deere!

I am not going to name names...oh wait, yes I am...65GT needs a pat on the back in my book. My wife and I were trying to jump whole-heartedly into the WBCCI and received a less than enthusiastic welcome by our local units when we contacted them via email and inquired as to their "young family" content. We complained here on the forums and without us knowing or asking, 65GT kicked some asses and what'd ya know...we get a warm, welcoming email from one local chapter's membership coordinator and it said, "please call, let's chat". I even commented to my wife that it seemed like someone had their ass kicked somewhere by someone. Turns out they had. We did indeed visit that chapter at a luncheon and they are nice people. I'd like to rally with them sometime, but I'm not interested in going to lunch with them all the time. This is a camping club, not a lunch club. We're going to try one more local this weekend for lunch, but I'll be honest, I have little faith.

Now back to the WDCU. After looking over their website, newsletter, rally pics, etc. I realized that they most likely were the group for us. I contacted their membership chair via email and lo and behold, I received a REPLY! Holy crap, someone knows how to use email in the WBCCI. I called Margaret (hello, if you're reading!) and she had all the right answers. I asked how they hold "online" meetings and she basically said that meetings are held to minimum and camping is the concentration. I think the heavy hitter for me was when she said, "we have buttons that we wear and they read: 'just camping'". That says it all. The WBCCI is a club founded for the purpose of caravanning and camping, not for having meetings, making sure people wear what they're supposed to, etc. It ought to be a rule that if you're going to have a meeting, it has to me when camping trailers are present and setup for CAMPING! Alcohol helps, too.

On the topic of joining and promoting change...I have an issue. What they heck is up with the "staging" of presidents? I.e. the 1st VP becomes the pres. next year and the 2nd VP moves up to 1st, etc.? If there's someone that wants to come in and make a difference they have to go thorugh a minimum of 2 years of mental conditioning? BS. If there's a rule that governs this "order of progression", then it needs to be changed. It effectively prevents anyone from getting in there and making major overhauls. Again... Where's the wine...argghhh.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Interestingly, the WDCU will be caravanning through your state of Ohio during late June on their way to the International Rally.

Maybe you might want to hook up with them somewhere on the road?
Yup, we know. Unfortunately, July 4th is a time for our family to join together with one another and not necessarily to travel. We have a standing tradition of hitting the water, not so much the road for the 4th. If the WBCCI should happen to decide in the future that Vermont is the place for a national rally, then we will hope that the 4th falls on a Monday or something early in the week and that the rally will be the week before / after so that we can attend. We'd be going, but the 4th is just a bad time to ask up to hitch up and travel for a week.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #66
Certifiable

. , .
Actually, I think they'll be in your neck of the woods June 23 - 27.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
order of progression

Quote:

On the topic of joining and promoting change...I have an issue. What they heck is up with the "staging" of presidents? I.e. the 1st VP becomes the pres. next year and the 2nd VP moves up to 1st, etc.? If there's someone that wants to come in and make a difference they have to go thorugh a minimum of 2 years of mental conditioning? BS. If there's a rule that governs this "order of progression", then it needs to be changed. It effectively prevents anyone from getting in there and making major overhauls. Again... Where's the wine...argghhh.
Ummmm. . . errrr. . . if you are thinking about becoming International President, better plan on investing about 15 years or so. . .

Here's the progression: first you join a unit and make yourself useful. Next they'll invite you to become a Director or something like that and you spend a couple of years doing that.

Then if you and the rest of the unit got along OK, you will be nominated to be Second Vice President, when you learn how to be First Vice President.

Then if you didn't alienate the Elders of the Tribe too much, you advance to First Vice President, where you learn how to be President and plan what you will do the year that you are.

If you and the unit survive that, next year you become Unit President. You get to set the tone for the unit and run the business meetings with an iron hand. (If and when I get there I think I will use a six gun for my gavel, like Judge Roy Bean. Maybe buy a Napoleon outfit with the nifty hat and epaulets.)

If you and the unit survive your Presidency, you thankfully accept your Unit Past President flag and hand off the job to the next poor sucker.

All this time the higher level muckety mucks at Region have been watching you and if they like the cut of your jib, you may be invited to advance to Region office. If you would like to know the qualifications for Region office you can talk to Ed Emerick--he was an exemplary unit president (also did a hitch as VAC President)--but they didn't like the cut of his jib. (Fortunately I have a catboat, so I have no jib for them to like or dislike the cut of.)

There's two years at each level of office in Region, so the still higher muckety mucks at International have plenty of time to indoctrinate you with the WBCCI Way, and decide who will be the Chosen Few invited to International office.

Bear in mind that the WBCCI is organized in such a way that the officers essentially pick their successors. Only one candidate is nominated for each office, so few elections are actually contested. Competing candidates can run from the floor, but I am not aware of any having been elected. (You can ask 65GT about the hazards of running from the floor against the Establishment.)

But none of this need concern you as a member. Join WBCCI, join WDCU, go play with them and have fun. Bring lots of alcohol--it does help!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Whew, that's scary. I have no intention at this time of going for international or even regional president. But, if there's any chance of survival then we've got to start the change and soon. If the current system & attitude is that of "you must come up through the ranks and learn the ways" then the ways that are learned will only be that of those who already exist.

Why don't people get this? CHANGE must happen. Maybe I misinterpreted the last post but the system of: you learn this and then you can move up if we approve of your learning MUST change. Those of us on the outside looking in see this and we think, "why should I join an organization that shuns the outside thoughts and new ideas?" And then when we see that the organization is SETUP to quell us, we turn the other way. Those of you that want to see the WBCCI still active 20 years from now take note! If you want to retain the hard line and make new members succumb to what you want things to be...you're only going to alienate. You have to be accepting of what the new people want and you have to be willing to say, "yes, I will listen to you and I will actually think about what you say and think about the value of what you are suggesting." The attitude of "this is the way it is, the way it has been, and the way it will be" MUST end.

Re-read the creed of Wally Byam. There's nothing in there about meetings, rules, or how things "must" be. It's all about camping, caravanning, and togetherness. Man, this club has really gone awry.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #69
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Jason, Firstly welcome. Hope you come see us on our caravan to Madison this summer. Some of the WDCU will be coming through your region and you are more than welcome to come visit and even caravan with us. No one cares if you are in the club or not, heck you have an Airstream... We are meeting in Pittsburgh on the June 23 in a park down town where the rivers all come together. The Mayor is planning some kind of event for us, details are still being worked out. Then on the 24th we will be going to Jackson Center. We have arrainged a special tour and after that we are hosting a BBQ for the guys at the factory and anyone staying at the Terra Port. Rumor has it that Bob Wheeler and his family will be joining us from this point on. Dickie Regal is being worked on too. The 25th we go to Vintage Campers in Peru Indiana for a visit and then on to the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart. A special talk on the history of RVing is going to take place and we are camping there. Then the 26th we head up to Jefferson County Fairgrounds to join the rest of the Vintage Airstream Club for the parade into the International. That evening I will finding Ed and sharing a few cold ones with him. Come join us for any part of that if you can. The more the merrier, and you will feel right at home, red numbers or not. Anyone reading this from any unit anywhere is welcome to come join us.

So now as a 42 year old member, I kind of like the idea of working your way through the ranks. I have done that in every job I have ever had. Learning the ropes is important in my opinion. I do not think that one can just come from nowhere and run the show. Personally I have no desire to be a president or vise president. My goal is to just be there and help with what ever needs to be done. My goal is to host at least one rally each year that bridges the gap between the WBCCI and those that know nothing about it. My ambition is to host a rally that no one forgets. Because for me, it is about camping and Airstream fellowship.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I kind of like the idea of working your way through the ranks. I have done that in every job I have ever had. Learning the ropes is important in my opinion. I do not think that one can just come from nowhere and run the show. Personally I have no desire to be a president or vise president.
I agree, sorta. In most cases I do think that the best person for a particular job is one with experience first-hand and typically this means one that has come up through the ranks, or the company as the case may be. However, as the case sometimes is with a corporation, or as I and apparently a few others within the WBCCI or perhaps not in the WBCCI see it; when things are turning downward and the current setup and way of doing business isn't working...then it's time to change. To me, this means that if someone comes into a unit, region, even the whole international group and has virtually never been heard of but they're excited, have good ideas, and truly want to do what's right regardless of what other around them have done for the last 5 years, then we ought to let that person have a shot at it. I think the USA did this rather recently...I think the guy that wanted the job was Barak Obama. Maybe he'll fail, maybe he'll come out smelling like roses after 4 years. But at least he's "green" enough that he'll do things and enact things because he thinks it's the right thing to do and he's never been through the whole brainwashing of "this is the way it's always been done, so this is the way you will do it."