Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Are leaders hard to find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
<SNIPPY>

Honestly, we've never needed leaders more... nor have they ever been harder to find.
I agree completely about never needing leaders more. I disagree completely about them being hard to find.

Every time I read threads about the WBCCI there are numerous posts by people who have nothing but "the good of the order" in their heart in relation to the WBCCI. Some are very actively involved in the WBCCI.

What is beyond sad is that there are so many people who would love to be able to lead the WBCCI out of the past and into the role of an organization in which today's Airstream purchasers would like to be involved but are thwarted in every possible way such that they are not "allowed" to get into a position that would allow them to foster change in the organization.

This post and anonther one currently running about someone who would love nothing better than to get elected to the IBT, demonstrate how the WBCCI is NOT going to change until the current leadership dies. These folks do not want change and contiune to do everything in their power to prevent change.

We continue to work toward the creation of an Airstream club that will provide the type of experience in which today's Airstream purchasers will want to participate.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Just received the annual report from REI. REI,as you may know, is a cooperative. I signed up to be a member at no cost and made a $93 purchase in 2008 and received a $9.30 dividend check. Upon reading their report, I found it interesting to read. A few lessons for WBCCI can be found in the report.

Here are a few highlights from the REI annual report:
1) Members can vote either online or by mail. All votes are tallied.
2) Remained profitable in spite of economic conditions by adjusting expenses.
3) They see the downturn in economy as an opportunity for more people to enjoy the outdoors and their products.
4) They made sure members receive value and have been able to grow membership.
5) Their nominating committee selects based on business experience at the executive level in large organizations, qualifications as a financial expert, prior board experience, strategic planning, and leadership skills. Committee employs a recruiting professional to help identify candidates. Nominees determined by review of incumbent candidates, active nominee recruiting, and member self-nomination process. Self nomination is promoted at their website. Resumes are on-line and each provide candidates statements that go beyond past involvement.
6. Their long-term view is to provide great products, quality service, a fun, welcoming, and informative experience both in person and on-line.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well we are certainly being surrounded from boths once again with a bunch of words, some common and others fancy, some old not too much new. The one thing everyone agrees on is "CHANGE", gee where have we heard that before? "Good ol' Boys" etc. The one very painful truth is that through the WBCCI process by the time you become President you are so brainwashed you become nothing but a figure head with no powers at all. I love being a member of the WBCCI because: I wish we could send out this simple question to every officer from the bottom up and see why! Wouldn't that be great? In the real world, the cost of belonging to WBCCI is very high for what you get. I belong to several other "RV Organizations" and they provide all sorts of services and discounts and not once have I had to listen to anyone gripe about some committee or uniform or how to fly my flags. The 20/20 commitee is doing an incredible job and I wish them all the best.

Venting complete........ please resume your normal activities.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, Jim, but my comment about a shortage of leaders was not targeted at the WBCCI, but our society. I work in local government as a city administrator. I know many managers but very few leaders. Too many folks are more worried about keeping their job than doing it. They delegate responsibility but not authority. They sit through too many meetings. They participate in too many committees. They are more worried about process than product. Among these managers are some very nice people who I think of as friends... they just aren't leaders

I would agree that there are plenty of folks who want to power, authority and control. Far fewer, however, are ready to make the necessary sacrifices to lead. How many people have you worked for in your career that were willing to take a bullet for you? How many were willing to put their job on the line for what was right? Leadership is disruptive in a world that doesn't like ripples on the water. I'm not going to poke a sharp stick into the WBCCI for what I see as an endemic problem.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
We continue to work toward the creation of an Airstream club that will provide the type of experience in which today's Airstream purchasers will want to participate.

Jim
Glad to hear it. Any hint as to when it will be announced to the world?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Hint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Glad to hear it. Any hint as to when it will be announced to the world?
There is a core group of people who are very interested in the creation of a new Airstream camping club.

Anyone who is interested in participating only needs to PM or email me.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
I thought AirForums rallies were already an alternative to WBCCI rallies. Now there is talk of a third group forming? I'm running out of weekends as it is already!

Between Metro NY rallies, WDCU rallies, Watchung NJ unit rallies, state and region events, International, Airforums events, and Vintage Trailer Jam, I think I will get to enjoy Jersey Shore Haven Airstream Park six weekends between April and Oct. Aarrgghh - the season is too short here in the NE.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
I'm in wbcci for the great local folk we can camp with . I couldn't give a rat's a** about the high and mighty! They can do what ever self gratification they want. On the local level the folk are great and I'll pay the cost to camp with them! Don't think this will get me thrown out!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
he chose instead to use my suggestion as a means to impugn me and do all those nasty things many accuse the IBT of doing to ideas and opinions they don't like.
Seems I've heard this line before. Does bryanl=leipper? If so, why the username change?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
What, did you quit after the 1st two lead-up papers? Nothing positive to say about what was clearly and concisely spelled out in the third?
No surprises here bud...
I guess what I see is a waste of my time reading the first two papers, and to be honest I want it back. The third has been stated over and over again by all kinds of people in the club, I want that time back too. NO surprises, yep you are correct.

What I do see is is more of the same but no activity to getting a solution. I do see more negative information on the club that will not help draw new members with that bad press. With this kind of stuff out and about and all the fussing without REAL action the WBCCI will die.

What I see is complaining and threats to the leadership, this pushes them into a corner and also closes their minds further, boy that's a step in the wrong direction. This gets us no closer to a solution and continues to cause a split.

I say give it a rest and go pull your trailers.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
What is driving the conversation of change at the WBCCI is primarily declining membership. my observations of the problem with attracting new members comes down to ageism. the club is run by kind folks at the IBT level who all happen to be retired persons. makes total sense - what younger working person could possibly hold an IBT position? the demands of travel that the positions hold throughout the year are too great for a working stiff.

a new airstreamer in there thirties, forties, or fifties, looks at the club from afar and see's clicky old folks at unit events and are immediately turned off. these aspirants from what i have observed here at the forum are close minded, and most likely, anti-social people are not interested in becoming friends with people outside of their own comfort zone or generation. as a forty something with wbcci members i call good friends in who are in their 60's, 70,s 80's, and 90's...all i can say is too bad for the naysayers.

the IBT has an impossible task in overcoming these first impression encounters at the unit level. admittedly they have made a number of weak moves over the past couple of years to counter this trend - name change, open club up to thor brands, etc. as a way of fixing the problem.

it's my opinion that there is no plausible fix. it is up to individual airstream owners as to whether they are open to socializing with people outside of their own comfort zones. it would take a slick marketing effort AND a complete make-over at the unit level for this to happen. neither of which do i see ever happening.

i am convinced that the wbcci will continue to attract only new airstreamers of true charachter who are comfortable engaging and socializing with folks outside of their own generation. this is fine by me - as the quality people of all ages that i meet at wbcci rallies fit that wonderful mold. happy hours, pot lucks, campfires, amazing camping places, and wonderful people - the wbcci is for me and my airstreaming friends and thankfully not for all.

we do not need to go out of our way to dillute this wonderful dynamic. Leo offer an interesting solution to club finances at...http://savewally.org/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1369.0;attach=1453

--dave
Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Sidelines??? I Think Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Is that all you have Ed? Follow that one golden rule and we'll suddenly be running in the black and membership will grow? Or by just joining you on the sidelines, the club just might last long enough to get us another 10-15 years down the road, and that should be good enough?

If somebody doesn't drive home these points and directions, those at the top will ignore them, pretty much like everything else that gets ignored...

__
Sit on the sideline? Hum, let me count the number of new members I have helped join the club, Hum, let me count the number of rallies I have hosted or will host this year, Hum let me count the number of caravans I have organized or participated in, Hum, let me count the years in the club and the years I have worked from the inside to help it, Hum, if anything you can't say I sit on the sidelines. Let's compare who is doing what..........

What am I willing to do???
Well continue to work with my Unit to help it grow, to help reduce the conflict that this bad press causes. To look for openings that will make my Unit more cohesive and welcoming. To continue to invite more to join us, to host rallies and caravans, to help the VAC to stay strong, to help people restore their units and provide information that I have gathered over the almost 12 years I have been in the club. That's what I do, I'm not standing on the outside bitching all the time.

I have seen these points driven home many many times, heck I have been in the room with the IBT I HAVE SEEN IT LIVE!!!! One on 7!

Hey, they get it, they know some of us are not happy, they know changes are needed but its beyond them. They don't get enough time in office to do anything but the same old same old. Maybe if some of their time was freed up by not having to deal with the little fires they could take that time and deal with the Fire Storm we might see some headway.

The approach needs to change, calling them names, calling them incompetent, calling them out each and every time every little thing comes up that we don't like is just another wedge driven between us and them. (lets face it look at the amount of time wasted complaining about the time the IBT took to discuss Badges!!!! and this is just one example)

To me its all a big waste of time, what is important is my next rally, my next Airstream renovation, my next positive impact on a non-WBCCI member. That's how I choose to spend my time, and its not on the Sideline.

Lets talk 10 - 15 years from now, I'll still be Streaming I just hope you can be out there too.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well hey, don't feel as if you are obligated to single out these threads and waste your time telling us what a waste of time these pursuits and posts are, that's like wasting our time we could be using to do more name calling and badge complaining! But thanks for sharing.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
So tell me

Beyond reading and posting and starting threads, tell me what all of us can do to strengthen this club. I want actions, physical activity, organized, positive impact items not thoughts, theories and quotes that have been over used.

See, I run into this all the time at work, thoughts, meetings and over thinkers. Those of us that make an impact put rubber on the road and go to work.
Hosting any rallies? Helping someone? Looking for one good thing to share?

59 Traveler
68 Sovereign