Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
WBCCI Friend Finder by NOVA!

Please visit www.campnova.com to find a new online utility to identify and locate all your WBCCI members!

Midpage, you will find a button called "WBCCI Friend Finder". Clicking it will open a new window. Here you can use the "options" button to plug in a variety of information such as WBCCI number, name, or state to find someone. Be sure to "Apply" the filter after making your selections.

Finally, click on "Visualize", then "map" to see their pinpoint location. Be sure to zoom in and pan around!

Enjoy! A smartphone app may be "down the road".

Brought to you by your friends at NOVA! Looking for a progressive unit? Well here ya go.........

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
I have no problem with my name, etc being public, but their are some members who will NOT be happy to find their information in the pbulic view.
Bigdaddy_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Welcome to the digital age!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I found us, but the locator puts us in the bottom of the south Pacific. Pretty bad, given that Angel Fire is land-locked.

Lynn
Old 01-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Actually, I would be one who is not quite happy that my name and address have been published publicly. I can see something like a PDF available to members ONLY, but this is open to the public, everyone and every BOT, which means that I am now open to data-mining bots who look for exactly this sort of data for valid addresses.

If this were set up so that members and members only could see it , it would be perfect.

You get an A for efforts in putting this together - I wish we had more people on the ECC who knew how to do this sort of thing. Now who do I contact to have our 3 listings removed?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_2 View Post
I have no problem with my name, etc being public, but their are some members who will NOT be happy to find their information in the public view.
Yes, a lot of them, including me. You appear to have put the whole WBCCI directory in searchable form on a web site open to ANYBODY. (For that matter, Google is one of the most aggressive data miners, so that much WBCCI members' privacy is down the drain already.)

Please provide a way for members to opt out of this list, or figure out how to limit access to WBCCI members.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I agree, you either need to take the list down or password protect it for current WBCCI members only. There are many of the 5,000+ members who will not be pleased that the personal information is available on the internet, me included.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I see that NOVA has taken the database down. I think many people will be happy about that.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I'm not here to argue the merits of the link on the NOVA site, Just wanted to remind folks that if your active on the internet, belong to clubs, own real estate, etc. - your personal information is already out there.

I chose a person from this forum and in less than 90 seconds - I have your name - wife's name - mailing address - email address - your cell number and where you work. Give me a few more minutes and I'll tell you when you bought your house - how much you paid for it and what your annual property taxes are.

My only point is - that information (and much more) is already out there. You certainly have the right to try and protect that and not add to it but, as Paul said above "welcome to the digital age".
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
I'm not here to argue the merits of the link on the NOVA site, Just wanted to remind folks that if your active on the internet, belong to clubs, own real estate, etc. - your personal information is already out there.

I chose a person from this forum and in less than 90 seconds - I have your name - wife's name - mailing address - email address - your cell number and where you work. Give me a few more minutes and I'll tell you when you bought your house - how much you paid for it and what your annual property taxes are.

My only point is - that information (and much more) is already out there. You certainly have the right to try and protect that and not add to it but, as Paul said above "welcome to the digital age".
Tell me more. You may know who I am from context over many posts, but if you don't know my name, where do you start?

I deliberately don't put my WBCCI number or my amateur radio call sign in my posts for just that reason. If you have my call sign you can get my name and address in seconds. (If you're a ham, you know where.)

People with Airstreams travel. So, all someone has to do is find a picture of a rally in progress (right here on Airforums) note down a bunch of big red WBCCI numbers off of trailers, look up the owners addresses on the database that NOVA courteously provided, and go burglarize them.

IMHO, not too bright.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Gary,

You are spot on! If most folks only knew half of what can be found out about them via the web they would have trouble sleeping at night. I started in the IT biz in the early 80's and have seen it come a long way.

If people don't want to be tracked now days, one must pay cash, ride a bike and never buy a piece of land, etc... from being a newborn on.

I'll go crawl back under my rock,

Enjoy,
Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Well then, I suppose that there is no reason to lock my home or my car or my Airstream. Next time I go to the store I will leave the car running with the doors unlocked and a sign that says "Please take me".

Why make it any easier for the bad guys?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Ummm - not exactly. We all know that Google data-mines for everything, that is how they stay in business - selling ads and addresses to whomever will buy them. Somebody just handed the 5000+ addresses for free so I expect that I will be getting all sorts of new spam for Omaha Steaks and Chase credit cards in my mailbox at home any time soon... Just because you have an online presence doesn't mean you also have a large foot-printed "offline" presence as well.

NOVA may have oversold it's own online capabilities at the expense of those who prefer to maintain a low profile online and offline....

Seriously though - the person(s) who put that together - we need skills like that for the new WBCCI web site - PM me. We need people who know that sort of thing to help with the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
To All:

I wish to make the following fact clear. The decision and execution of the creation of the WBCCI Freind Finder previously linked on the NOVA website was soley mine.

-Dan Bihary
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
This is information that most of us would like to have access to online, or better yet in the form of a downloadable file.
I am not particularly concerned about the info being available to anyone as a search will bring it all up anyway however I do understand the concerns others may have.
This simply emphasizes the need for a WBCCI forum with a members only area.
Several years ago many e mail addresses were left out of the directory.
The problem was solved by posting the member list in a restricted area on the now defunct WBCCI forum (yes, that one).

I personally doubt that anyone is watching my travel schedule in hopes of backing a truck up to my door and making off with all my worldly possessions.
While I do believe in reasonable precautions, I don't want to ever reach the point where my "stuff" owns me instead of the other way around
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I would second the thoughts about digital access to t he member directory. I use my iPad fr almost everything now, and have thought about scanning the new directory jet to have access to it in my preferred format.

As to the web presence of our collective personal information, it is irretrievably out there. It started with direct mailings in the '60s and grew into the present form. Any information now out there will continue to exist forever now, and any new events will be added to it. That said, I certainly don't post my travel plans on Facebook, but how many of us have discussed rally plans publicly?

I applauded the thought behind NOVA's friend finder. More security is always better, but the idea was/is great. This is exactly the kind of out of the box ideas we need for the future of WBCCI.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I hate to pile on . . .

On one hand, I do like the idea, but more importantly I do not want my contact information on the web in a format that is open to anyone - that is why I don't even post my home town and I made up a fake birthday when I signed up for Airforums, too - there is no need on this forum for that information.

I never saw the campnova feature, but I am wondering where you got the information to post in the first place. I will agree that a pdf or other electronic format of the WBCCI directory that I could download to my laptop or smartphone would be nice.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
WBCCI Bylaws & Policy

WBCCI Blue Book - Bylaws & Policy, p. 27, Article XII Official Publications, Section 4 Bylaws Policy – Club Publications, Paragraph A (5) - Annual Membership Directory:

"Except as authorized by the Executive Committee, the Annual Membership Directory of the International Club or the Membership Directories or Rosters of Units shall not be made available to any individual who is not a member or to organizations not a part of the International Club in order to prevent the use of such Directories or Rosters for mailing lists and soliciting purposes. (1/19/96)".
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
...I personally doubt that anyone is watching my travel schedule in hopes of backing a truck up to my door and making off with all my worldly possessions.
Check with your local law enforcement officials about folks who read funeral announcements in the newspaper; then burglarize the grieving family while they're at the service. Happens all the time.
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Sher View Post
Check with your local law enforcement officials about folks who read funeral announcements in the newspaper; then burglarize the grieving family while they're at the service. Happens all the time.
I have read of this but have never known it to happen in a rural area where every strange vehicle is noticed. Also the funeral watchers would likely be local where the WBCCI watcher is going to have to travel long distances. (only to be disappointed here)
At any rate we pay a nice lady at an insurance company to worry about that stuff so we can have fun
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote