Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
This is information that most of us would like to have access to online, or better yet in the form of a downloadable file.
I am not particularly concerned about the info being available to anyone as a search will bring it all up anyway however I do understand the concerns others may have.
This simply emphasizes the need for a WBCCI forum with a members only area.
Several years ago many e mail addresses were left out of the directory.
The problem was solved by posting the member list in a restricted area on the now defunct WBCCI forum (yes, that one).

I personally doubt that anyone is watching my travel schedule in hopes of backing a truck up to my door and making off with all my worldly possessions.
While I do believe in reasonable precautions, I don't want to ever reach the point where my "stuff" owns me instead of the other way around

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I would second the thoughts about digital access to t he member directory. I use my iPad fr almost everything now, and have thought about scanning the new directory jet to have access to it in my preferred format.

As to the web presence of our collective personal information, it is irretrievably out there. It started with direct mailings in the '60s and grew into the present form. Any information now out there will continue to exist forever now, and any new events will be added to it. That said, I certainly don't post my travel plans on Facebook, but how many of us have discussed rally plans publicly?

I applauded the thought behind NOVA's friend finder. More security is always better, but the idea was/is great. This is exactly the kind of out of the box ideas we need for the future of WBCCI.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
I hate to pile on . . .

On one hand, I do like the idea, but more importantly I do not want my contact information on the web in a format that is open to anyone - that is why I don't even post my home town and I made up a fake birthday when I signed up for Airforums, too - there is no need on this forum for that information.

I never saw the campnova feature, but I am wondering where you got the information to post in the first place. I will agree that a pdf or other electronic format of the WBCCI directory that I could download to my laptop or smartphone would be nice.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
WBCCI Bylaws & Policy

WBCCI Blue Book - Bylaws & Policy, p. 27, Article XII Official Publications, Section 4 Bylaws Policy Club Publications, Paragraph A (5) - Annual Membership Directory:

"Except as authorized by the Executive Committee, the Annual Membership Directory of the International Club or the Membership Directories or Rosters of Units shall not be made available to any individual who is not a member or to organizations not a part of the International Club in order to prevent the use of such Directories or Rosters for mailing lists and soliciting purposes. (1/19/96)".
Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
...I personally doubt that anyone is watching my travel schedule in hopes of backing a truck up to my door and making off with all my worldly possessions.
Check with your local law enforcement officials about folks who read funeral announcements in the newspaper; then burglarize the grieving family while they're at the service. Happens all the time.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Sher View Post
Check with your local law enforcement officials about folks who read funeral announcements in the newspaper; then burglarize the grieving family while they're at the service. Happens all the time.
I have read of this but have never known it to happen in a rural area where every strange vehicle is noticed. Also the funeral watchers would likely be local where the WBCCI watcher is going to have to travel long distances. (only to be disappointed here)
At any rate we pay a nice lady at an insurance company to worry about that stuff so we can have fun
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I have read of this but have never known it to happen in a rural area where every strange vehicle is noticed. Also the funeral watchers would likely be local where the WBCCI watcher is going to have to travel long distances. (only to be disappointed here)
At any rate we pay a nice lady at an insurance company to worry about that stuff so we can have fun
Rural isn't necessarily low-crime these days, but you're right.... that's what insurance is for. It's a hassle to go through the insurance/replacement process, though. We prefer to make it tougher on the jackasses in the first place so that they'll choose an easier target
Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Don't let this discussion die!

I do not want to see this discussion die. I believe the issue here is the proper access controls rather than whether the information should be available electronically. All units could benefit from having a centralized and maintained membership data base supported by an access control infrastructure that could be extended to the units and regions as well as WBCCI.

I would hope the ECC (Electronic Communications Committee) would be working to provide then necessary infrastructure. With this in place all sorts of additional services could be offered. These could include real online membership renewal, online address change. automatic access controls for units, regions, to use in their on ways, as well as the ability to look up others.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
tbaugh,

While I do not know what programs are used, what you describe is certainly feasible. The company I work for has that capability for all 80,000+ employees. I also belong to another organization with 45,000+ members which maintains secure databases accessible to the members. It would be a big help to the unit membership chairs if we as members could log in, update our address', pay our dues, etc. It would also make the WBCCI that little bit more attractive to many of the current non-member owners who are used to this kind of access in almost any other organization........
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
The ECC is indeed working an suggestions like these and more. May not be able to give everybody exactly what they want but will give everybody what they need for sure (reminds me of a song).

One big issue that the ECC faces is the current database system the club uses is out of date and needs to be upgraded or changed. Cost to upgrade is somewhere on the order of $13,000. Cost to replace with a new system far, far less. The ECC has several team members versed with Filemaker and that could be used to augment the site data so that some of these things can be realized. So we are suggesting that the club switch to that.

As for online renewal, and joining - it is in the works. The ECC was recently asked to investigate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaugh View Post
I do not want to see this discussion die. I believe the issue here is the proper access controls rather than whether the information should be available electronically. All units could benefit from having a centralized and maintained membership data base supported by an access control infrastructure that could be extended to the units and regions as well as WBCCI.

I would hope the ECC (Electronic Communications Committee) would be working to provide then necessary infrastructure. With this in place all sorts of additional services could be offered. These could include real online membership renewal, online address change. automatic access controls for units, regions, to use in their on ways, as well as the ability to look up others.

Thanks
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
Great news, and thanks for the work.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaugh View Post
...... I believe the issue here is the proper access controls rather than whether the information should be available electronically. All units could benefit from having a centralized and maintained membership data base supported by an access control infrastructure that could be extended to the units and regions as well as WBCCI.

These could include real online membership renewal, online address change. automatic access controls for units, regions, to use in their on ways, as well as the ability to look up others.

Thanks
Totally agree. It would be nice to have such access on the "protected" side of the WBCCI server.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Given the common occurrence of database hacking, the word "protected" is a relative term. Proper security costs money. Is the benefit worth the cost? We have had a central database since when Helen kept the membership cards in a shoe box at the California plant. HQ uses our current database daily. They are very good at supplying data from it to those with a "need to know" when properly requested. We are in the process of contracting for an undated program. Just how broadly the access will be allowed, is currently being discussed. If everybody has access to the "protected" side of the database, how protected is it?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've been trying to think of a way to do this myself, and I keep coming back to the fact that it's hard to validate whether someone on the internet is the WBCCI member they claim to be. I love the idea, but it's just a difficult problem.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote