Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2002, 05:56 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
WBCCI First Years Dues?

I understand that if I submit my application after July 1, my first year and a half are dues free. Does this mean that the $60 that accompanies my application is actually dues for the calendar year 2004? No more dues would be payable then until 2005?

If so, wow, what a deal! Now, if I can just hang together until 2005
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
As a new AS (Airstream) owner you can get your first year dues free under the current recruiting campaign, I dont know if they would count it toward 2004 dues though, you could go to their website and email the membership person.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:12 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: WBCCI First Years Dues?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
I understand that if I submit my application after July 1, my first year and a half are dues free. Does this mean that the $60 that accompanies my application is actually dues for the calendar year 2004? No more dues would be payable then until 2005?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but by joining after July 1 you will be credited with membership for the balance of 2002 and for the year 2003. Still better than having to rejoin in January for the 2003 year.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:05 PM   #4
Contributing Member

This still doesn't compute

So what's the difference in waiting till after July 1?

The WBCCI office told another poster to wait till after July 1 to join and that way 1 1/2 years would be free. In my case, that would be the balance of 2002 and all of 2003. Ergo, the $60 dues would seem to apply to 2004. I can't see how the arithmetic works out any other way.

Otherwise, why would July 1 have any signifigance at all? I did e-mail the membership person, but no response yet. Probably on their way to the International Rally or on on vacation.

I will join regardless, but I'm really curious.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-22-2002, 01:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
That's true they may be on their way to Bismark or closed for the weekend, I know when I joined around mid-year I did'nt have to pay dues until the following end of the year, I assume the recruiting drive requirements are the same as regular joining, either way your saving the $60 for a year and a half.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 01:29 PM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Re: This still doesn't compute

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
So what's the difference in waiting till after July 1?

Beacuse if you join before July 1, your first year ends December 31, 2002. Its not one year from the date you join. WBCCI dues cover a calendar year. Jan. through December. You are given a perk and are given the coming year plus the balance of this year.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-24-2002, 07:12 AM   #7
Contributing Member

The final word

I was basically correct, but I was working with bad information.

I received an e-mail from WBCCI this morning. Both the dealer and the local guy were mistaken as to how the new member process works. It appears that I need to wait for the complementary membership form from WBCCI rather than use the membership form given to me by my local contact. Here's the e-mail I received from HQ:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Irwin:

When we receive notification from the Airstream Co. that you have purchased a new Airstream trailer, we will send you a special complimentary application which states that you are entitled to a free membership in WBCCI. Joining after July 1st will give you a membership for the rest of 2002 and all of 2003. Joining as a "member at large" you do not need to send us any money.

If you are joining a local unit, some units give you complimentary unit dues also, some do not. If they request unit dues, then you send them the unit dues and your complimentary application. They will then forward this to headquarters for processing.

If you join WBCCI as a "member at large", you can transfer to the local unit at a later date when you are able to reach the unit contact.

Kathy Adams, Membership Director
Maybe this can reduce the confusion factor for other new members.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-24-2002, 07:25 AM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
John,
Normally WBCCI will also contact the local chapter nearest to you. You will most likely get a call or a letter from them encouraging you to consider joining them. I know our local chapter waves the first year's dues for those who come into the organization via the free membership offer.

I got a couple of letters (even though I bought my trailer 60 days before the free membership offer began) from the local chapter. I joined WBCCI and the local chapter last fall while attending my first (state) rally.

Great folks. They really took us under their wing and made us feel welcome.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-24-2002, 07:53 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Great!

When I bought the trailer, I very soon contacted a fellow who worked with me for years that I knew was active in the local WBCCI unit. We had remained good friends, but due to distance and everyone being busy had pretty much lost contact the last few years.

My friend, in turn, contacted Don Bachman, the local membership chairman who sent me an application and other material. Don's note said to wait till after July 1 and then send in the application with a $60 check for 2003 dues. On one hand I was told there would be a free 1 1/2 years. On the other hand, I was being asked for 2003 dues. That's why I was confused. I knew there had to be a mistake somewhere. Apparently Don didn't know of the special membership form or that no money need to be sent at this time. That would be a WBCCI communication problem.

Of course, both my friend and Don Bachman immediately took off for South Dakota and I didn't even have anyone to ask.

I'll happily pay unit dues or not, depending on how they handle it locally. Even regarding the national dues, I was a lot less worried about getting something free than I was about understanding the situation.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-24-2002, 08:52 AM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
Now I see why you were confused. The free membership for owners of new Airstreams started last July and now encompases first time owners of Airstream products, regardless of whether they are new or not.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15