Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
We joined, too!

We sat on the fence for the past 4 years, since buying our AS, before joining. Some of the politics surrounding the WBCCI of late actually did it.....we wanted to join while there is still an opportunity to, hopefully, point the club in a different direction!

Our original intent was to be MAL's (Members At Large), not associated with any unit.....but, we recently joined the Four Corners Unit in order to be able to vote! MAL's cannot vote, so join a unit if you want to have a say in the future of WBCCI. We can still attend rallies with other units, and that is what we intend to do.

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Purman,

Welcome aboard! Thats the best buck you ever spent.

Warbler5,

Always great to have another Californian in the group. We have loose plans for a Quartzside boondock rally this winter. Let's caravan on over.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Let's get back to the original discussion.

Devoman,

Take a look at all the units in FL and GA before making a decision. Look at their voting record at the last two International Rallies to see if their politics align with yours. Select a few, and attend some of their rallies to meet the people. I respect the FCU and WDCU for their politics, activism, and cheap dues but in my opinion it's nice to have a geographical base that you can identify with.

The FL Unit has a working rally, The Cracker Christmas Rally, coming up on December 4 - 8 at Ft. Christmas, FL. At this rally, we help set-up the fort for an annual event, and then act as tour guides for the attendees who come from the Orlando area. If you're interested let me know.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Hi Steve

I know your type of camping and suggest you consider WDCU. You can fill out the map as we have members from Ontario Canada, New Mexico, New Hampshire. That membership will give you access to all WBCCI function but help retain your sanity.

What ever unit you join please don't let them talk you into having the "Can Opener" as a WBCCI rally. The rules and regs will kill it.

See you in Jan.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Steve try some of the units you can actually meet with, since by your post that is why you joined to meet with Streamers. The Florida State Rally I attended a few years back was fun and friendly too if you are considering traveling to a larger rally. It's a fun experience to meet in a field with soooo many Airstreams. Coffee and donuts and smiles in the morning was great and the vendors' area was varied and interesting. There are door prizes and entertainment and a dinner together. Be sure to look up Hunter. She has her e-mail list party that would be sure to please and introduce you to a lot of cool and fun people.

Welcome aboard, tee hee.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We, too, made the decision to join, despite the "troubles in paradise" concerning the higher-ups in the club...we attended the 4CU Labor Day Rally and found the folks in the unit welcoming, friendly and inclusive...and all there with one main objective: to have fun camping together. After spending a great weekend with these folks we had no reason for hesitation in joining this group... I think the key is finding a local (or not so local) unit that you enjoy being with. The other stuff will work its way out eventually.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
You have my invitation too

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Hi Steve

I know your type of camping and suggest you consider WDCU. You can fill out the map as we have members from Ontario Canada, New Mexico, New Hampshire. That membership will give you access to all WBCCI function but help retain your sanity.

What ever unit you join please don't let them talk you into having the "Can Opener" as a WBCCI rally. The rules and regs will kill it.

See you in Jan.
Steve, I second HowieE's suggestion, you would love the WDCU. This year's Cherry Blossom Rally was my first with the group. I was welcomed with open arms. Each and every member I met was priceless. We are a diverse group, but cohesive depsite the fact we come from all over. You can have as little or as much participation as you want. Business is conducted through the web. There's lots of kids for Brianna to meet. Best of all, we REALLY have fun.

And yes, what HowieE said about the "Can Opener".

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Wbcci

Seems like the WDCU or the FCU are the ones who speak out the most and they seem to have a lot of things going on.
Any other units out there that would like to say something about there unit?I would like to know.Yea I could go to different units and look around but that can take a lot of time and money to do so.That is why I am on here posting this.
I will have to say though that I am leaning towards the WDCU AND I know a couple of people that are with them.

Oh....And the WBCCI will NOT get our Can Opener!EVER!

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Devoman, Florida has some very fine units and many would suit your needs. The Big Bend unit of Florida I believe is geographically closer to you and Walter Culley would be delighted to welcome you aboard. They do alot of interesting things, are a close group of people that lend each other a helping hand and like to have a good time. d
Drop Walter an email at wvculley@embarqmail.com tell him Rick sent you.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
WBCCI Units in Florida

There are quite a few units in Florida. They range widely from units that "camp" by travelling to different state parks in the area. Typically, units which own a park (like my unit - The GA Unit) rally at the same location always. If you are looking more to state parks and travel, try the Big Bend Unit.

Big Bend Florida

I'm not a member, but have spoken with several of their members and they seem to have a great time. You should try several of the units in your area...even after you join. Units like to have visitors and you may choose to become an Affiliate with other units.

Matt
Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #25
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Thanks

Thanks Tarheel.
I just sent them an e-mail.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #26
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Units

I would really like to join.Would it be ok to start off as Mal and then get to know more of what is going on before I actually join a unit.Would doing this at least put my foot in the door?
Would I be able to just pay my due thru the big bend group or do I go online to do this.Thanks All.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
I would really like to join.Would it be ok to start off as Mal and then get to know more of what is going on before I actually join a unit.Would doing this at least put my foot in the door?
Would I be able to just pay my due thru the big bend group or do I go online to do this.Thanks All.

That was what I had in mind, as well. However, it now costs more to be a MAL than it does if you belong to a unit, AND you don't get to vote! For this reason, and because they appear to be a free-thinking, fun-loving bunch, I joined the Four Corners Unit (FCU or 4CU). I hope to someday actually join one of their rallies, but I can join the rallies put on by local units in the meantime! I live about as far from the FCU as you do

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
...I just want to have some fun and meet new people like we do at the forum rallies cause those are really fun....
hi devoman...

that's a good goal above, now WHY do u wanna join the wb'?

it's scary to me that folks shout "JOIN OUR UNIT" without really going into the details, or finding out what YOU want.

it is representative of just how hungry units are for any new blood.

sure u can start as a mal (i did and remain one) but that gets u NOTHING but red numbers and the evil EYE from unit loyalist.

1. start by asking your self 'WHY the wb'?
-for example are u looking for other younger folks, or campers with kids?
-how about some other rv-surfers, or rv-young business owners?

and so on. you can make a short list of "whys and what u want" from a club in 5 minutes.

2. phone or email or otherwise contact 5 nearby units. tell them you are shopping a unit and wanna know...
-how many folks under 50? or how many couples UNDER 35?
-how many members with young kids?
-how many surfers? or small business owners?
-WHERE do they have unit functions (local denny's or fairgrounds or private parks or parking lots)

-ask them to mail or email u copies of their newsletters for the last few months.

3. then try to attend EVEN ONE local wb' function, really JUST ONE.

-my impression is that you like camping in areas with amenities, with a laid back routine...
-and a few shared meals and some kids running around playing.
-and you would like to do this within 4 hours of HOME.

i'm sure some unit camping is like this,
but OFTEN these folks like to get a group site to save money and park tightly together,
then share a pot of something for breakfast and dinner.

the point is will you get ANY of the things that forums rallies offer or ANYTHING ELSE useful from a local unit?

joining 4cu or wdcu is silly, except to save a few bucks and get2vote. are you gonna go to virginia or newmex/az to camp?

IF/when u do join a local unit, let us know how much they hound u to 'host a rally, run for office or some other thing,

beyond just camping...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote