Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I've never read the WBCCI constitution and bylaws, but part of the problem may be that they are poorly drafted and need a team of lawyers to understand them. Whenever there are ambiguities, that leaves plenty of room for people to interpret them in a way that supports what they want to believe.

Anyway, glad you guys got your amendment moving along. I don't think it will solve all the problems, but it's a start and you've got to keep at it.

Gene
I agree with what you are saying Gene, but I'm still troubled that the initial reaction of leadership was to deny the wishes of membership rather then embrace them. This group of members went through a good faith effort to present an idea and that effort was dismissed.

I'm glad Forest was able to defend his position and this may be the start of good things to come.

Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I agree with what you are saying Gene, but I'm still troubled that the initial reaction of leadership was to deny the wishes of membership rather then embrace them. This group of members went through a good faith effort to present an idea and that effort was dismissed.

I'm glad Forest was able to defend his position and this may be the start of good things to come.

Dan
From what I see, WBCCI leadership was doing what they have been doing for far too long. They decided to find a plausible way to quash the wishes of a significant number of mere members, and did. Despicable.

Forrest of course deserves an enormous amount of credit, here, but so do the Region Presidents who called for a special meeting of the IBT and convinced President Beu to reconsider his position. It sounds like it was their pressure that finally turned this.

Good job, all.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Thank you all for the compliments. One of the things that Region President Neumarkel wrote to Int'l President Beu was that Robert's Rules were never intended to be used as a means to keep the membership at bay (he said this a little differently - I'm paraphrasing). And that is my outlook. Rules and laws should serve us, not the other way around. But there are a lot of people in the world that feel rules are more important than people. I know because there was a time when I was one of them.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #64
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Forrest, what I admire in all this is your ability to take a long view toward a goal and then perform all the large and small tasks that had to be done in order to keep moving forward. Most of us are so much into instant gratification (in my case, I fear that it is a chronic lack of focus I suffer from).

Anyway, thanks. Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Can someone please point me in the direction of what the actual Denver Unit proposed Amendment says? If is already covered in this or another post, I apologize.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Post 1 of this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...n-59520-7.html

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
Can someone please point me in the direction of what the actual Denver Unit proposed Amendment says? If is already covered in this or another post, I apologize.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Thank you very much wkerfoot. I also found post #10 very helpful.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
drum roll, please; and the envelope ? ? ?

So the meeting was last week -- and the much awaited results are ? ? ?

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #69
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
followed by more
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
My particular interest in this past Mid-Winter IBT meeting was in the 2020 Committee, Constitution Revision Committee, the Motorhome Committee and Forrest's amendment. All were disappointingly incompleted. Basically every thing was just slowed down, put on hold, and the clock left ticking. I haven't heard a report on the food, tours and entertainment however. It may indeed have been a roaring success of an IBT party.

The WBCCI posted agenda is complete with committee reports and a reading here will be very informative.

http://www.wbcci.org/documents/IBT%20Agenda%20January%2028%202010%20revised.pdf

From memory, these are the points I remember most about the meetings. Anyone please fill in as desired what struck you most or what I have left out.

-million dollars in assets

-for 2013 and 2014 and forward there will be a $20,000 limit on International spending to set up rally unless approved for additional funds

-promotional items for internationals curtailed such as notebooks, magnets, etc., and or limit giveaways to a much smaller amount to the first sign-ups for the rally

-2020 did not proceed as much as possible not knowing direction club would be heading

-Motorhome study committee incomplete, no commitment from Airstream or Thor or representative in attendence

-New motorhome committee to be formed (beat that drum!) This does not originate from the general membership but from the leadership again even after being voted down overwhelmingly by the members

-How to get membership money from deceased members(though it was commented that they would no longer be members)

-constitution revision committee is led by the parlimentarian (note: the constitution and bylaws committee is headed by PIP Don Shaffer, that sets a tone.) The report says the new constitution is incomplete and though it was not presented at the meeting it will be forthcoming... not the report for any meeting discussion but the then completed amended constitution for a unit vote to be delivered for our yea or nay (???) It eliminates delegates entirely and will give fewer individuals leadership control of the club, and guess which ones that might be.

-Forrest's member driven amendment thrown out on technicality after prior assurance of it going forward with the subsequent withdrawal of the backup motion for consideration

-shall, may, or can word selection discussion, then discovery it was not part of item

-two new flags voted in and parlimentarian found new way to save time by approving a grouped number of items for acceptance

-membership down- MALs alive and strong in numbers

-2 new special event or national rallies added, some rallies dropped

-one grievance and was dismissed as being a matter for the courts of possible slander

-one child registered for Duquoin international rally but more expected. Trip to buffalo farm planned.

-2011 International will have Frank Sinatra soundalike vocalist, bluegrass band and special doll BYO seminar for the ladies

-2012 international will have 3 point hookups

-Most regions missed the required number of points to earn merit award by a small number and should work harder with the merit award packet, many regions did not have a plan or a goal outlined, 4 regions recognized

-use the rv parks in the index to keep them participating in the discount program

-international relations no guests are currently expected

-pr and rally promotions looking for local radio and newspaper in DuQuoin to promote WBCCI and International

-marketing has led interst to club and now up to members to recruit and retain membership

-electronic committee report had no mention of forum (?)

-historical has much at WBCCI headquarters and wants to display more

-geneology intra club dropped
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #71
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
My message to the IBT president

We are honor bound - Norm Beu

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
The longer they have their committee work or executive positions, the longer they can enjoy their perks and the farther they can travel for yet another trip and more of the club's necessary business that involves all their friends coincidently. It also avoids messy reactions, and critical comments hard to deal with and questions which could be quite disruptive and lengthy if allowed. These people have others things to do, times awasting. Dinner's ready! And lastly you can't fail at what you haven't finished, probably a very big plus for their terms of office.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #73
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If I were a member of the WBCCI, I'd be upset and angry at how much the leadership spends on themselves, but, let's look at the other side of this.

Being a board member or officer of a nonprofit takes a lot of time. In some nonprofits, the leaders are expected to make donations to the organization. If the nonprofit can survive on dues and endowment investments, there is less pressure to donate, but there are costs that can run pretty high as part of the job. If there is not some compensation for travel and lodging, people with less money cannot serve and the leadership starts to represent the most wealthy members only. It also tends to mean mostly retired people dominate because of time issues.

The problem as I see it is not compensation, but how much? Is the system set up so there is too much required travel? Is there a way people with jobs can serve and have the time to do so?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I see it as refusing to embrace the electronic benefits and savings of the internet. While the club can be a travel club we don't have to pay to send leadership to conduct their business. There are evident abuses of this in the early parkers/workers/friends system alone. Watch the early workers, 6 hanging onto a golf cart to park you while plenty of other workers are standing and looking on, short shifts on alternating days. The first line you come to to register must have 30 people in a row to validate your registration and tape your ribbon on your badge. Workers arriving weeks ahead of schedule doing unneccessary work for short periods of time to qualify for a month of rally for a week of rally prices and plenty of free perks. It is not unintentional it is directly to accommodate as many firends as possible. laying lines for utilites at full service parks is ridiculous and it had happened. We should all travel on our own money. Anyone should be able to serve whether retired or not.

We see the forums and Tac rallies succeed without this extra layer of governance and expense. I cannot be sold on the idea it is necessary and not being milked or bilked by the current leadership. Leadership has not even performed fairly with the general membership or fulfilled its duties during their terms of office executing their duties without prejudice and with equality throughout the membership.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1968 30' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Appleton , Wisconsin
The questions that need answered:

What was the cost to the club for this IBT meeting?
For the business accomplished, was it worth that cost?

My opinion, no.
redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The February letter is the last one I have received. Is there a letter for March?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I don't know but I just got notice of the march Blue Beret online, but its probably the April one, April Fool!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It real doesn't which date the new issue carries what matters is the Presidents letter with the announcement of the release of the proposed New Constitution.

I urge all to read it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
What letter is that? Has one been sent?
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
What letter is that? Has one been sent?
I haven't seen a president's message email since the February issue either.

I think he is referring to the president's column in the April Blue Beret which is now online at the link below.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=9zuqas...6eBbpjNG-OXQ==
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, president's remarks, wbcci