Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
WBCCI family/children/pet friendly?

There has been an allegation based on a bad experience at Top of Georgia that WBCCI is old, stiff, and does not welcome the younger generation with their kids and dogs. I thought I'd open it up as a general discussion topic.

What should be done?
What has been done?
Has the national leadership addressed the issue?
Has anyone else had a bad experience at TOG?
Is leaving WBCCI a smart/realistic thing to do?

I was informed of one WBCCI group that is particularly family friendly. I lost the info but I'm sure someone knows. I think it was in the D.C. area.

'WBCCI Family' Rallys?

I do have to admit, I was disgusted when a WBCCI member complained about all the kid's running around at Disney's Fort Wilderness! What a joke!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 11:59 AM   #2
Finally Retired

, Washington
Joke!!!

More than a joke it was a oxy-moron! What else would kids be doing at a place with Disney in the name. Maybe that member should have checked in to a "home" instead of RV'ing around the country inflicting themselves on others. Just a thought
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
From an earlier post by Alan: "Sorry but I won't go back there (TOG), and might even have to say I would not be a very interested WBCCI member in the future if this is the general atmosphere at the Rallys."

We just returned from a weekend WBCCI rally in Gainesville, FL. We left for the rally with great trepidation after reading about Alan’s experience at TOG. We’ve been members of WBCCI for nearly 10 years, but this was our first rally with the Argosy instead of an Airstream. We haven’t been to a rally for about four years.

The group was very warm and friendly. I cannot say how they would have responded to kids, but they are very pet friendly. Fourteen rigs attended. There were six dogs, two cats, and one bird in attendance. The dogs attended happy hour and the business meeting!

As a member of WBCCI I want to personally apologize to Alan and his family for the way they were treated. I also want to say that based on personal experience, your treatment was the exception, NOT the rule.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:49 PM   #4
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Great Reception Too

Edie, that was nice of you to post that item above. We too visited the Palmetto Cove Airstream Campground in the Smokies above Walhalla, SC - It was gorgeous - the people could not have been more warm and receptive. Very pretty with lots of amenities for children to play, a small golf course, fishing site, beautifully grassed - It would be a wonderful place for a Rally They welcome Children and Dogs, so our fears about becoming members has been allayed. We too think Alan's experience now was an exception and not the rule. On the basis of our visit and your post Edie, we have processed our application and we are now Number l5508
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 07:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks for the input. I was pretty unhappy at the TOG experience.
We will not rule out future Airstream park visits, although so far my experience at the state parks and Corps of engineer lake parks has been outstanding.
Dr Joe- just where is that SC park, and how did you find it?
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:32 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I will have to admit we had some reservations when we joined the local chapter last fall. Quite honestly other than a yearly campout with some of our close friends, we have been loners since first starting out camping in the early 70's.

Compounding that was the impression that WBCCI was really a seniors group not conducive to those of us who are still working and quite a few years from retirement.

Late last fall the current International President published an article in the Blue Beret promoting the 2002 International Rally and encouraging the membership to bring their "grand daughters" to enter the teen queen contest. At that point I pretty much felt that maybe I had made a mistake in joining and posted my views on Hunter Hampton's Yahoo listserve. That generated a pretty lengthy thread from those supporting and disputing my concerns that International President's comment maybe unintentionlly showed why there is a high turnover in first year membership.

As it ends up we attended our first gathering as members at a local resturant in Feburary and our first chapter rally in April. While we are the younger members of the chapter, we were immediately taken under the wing of all the membership. I can't say more about the friendliness that this group of folks showed to us. On the rally many of us had animals, including our two dogs, and one couple even brought a grand child. Our concerns melted amongst the warm words and fellowship showed by all.

International membership is still falling, but of more concern the retention rate of first year members is still poor. I'm not sure when things will become stable. Times have changed and maybe the Boomer and younger generation feels no need for an organization. The International has approved free first year memberships both for new A/S purchasers and first time A/S owners who buy from a private party. That should bring people in the door. Will they like what they see? A lot depends on the local chapter and their attitude in welcoming these A/S newbees.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 03:47 AM   #7
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Palmetto Cove RV Park

Alan, When we joined the SC Chapter WBCCI, they informed us about the Park and furnished literature and cordially invited us to visit. The Park is located at juncture of SC Hiways 11 and 8 near Table Rock State Park near town of Cleveland, SC. It is gorgeous, with panoramic view of Table Rock -nestled in Blue Ridge Mountains. grassy 20 ft spaces (148) - April thru 15 Sep.
Huge Activity Room, plus large Activity Shelter, Trout fishing spot, plus Meeting all and Library reading room. 6 hole par 3 golf course, Kitchen, laundry and meeting rooms. Frankly it is one of the nicest parks - private or public that we have ever been in.
We can't wait to get Big Momma in good shape and get up there (about 65 miles from Anderson) and spend time. It is open to public, and self-contained RV's only. Unfortunately, it is not open in the Winter when we love the Smokies. On our visit we cordially given a golf cart tour of the facilities by the host and the attitude toward pets and children was wonderful. I can't be more enthusiastic - please write off your unfortunate experience.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:33 PM   #8

1995 34' Excella
1969 21' Globetrotter
Steamboat, CO. Copperhill, Tn
I joined the TOG chapter last November. I hate to hear about the negative experiences. Hopefully the officers will read these comments and make changes.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
"Younger" WBCCI Members

I would like to parrot Jack's comments ~

We are new to "The Airstream Family" and joined the WBCCI, Region 11, Denver Colorado Unit. We are 42 & 46 and are amongst the youngest in our unit, we aren't yet retired...and we don't have a shiny-new, state-of-the-art trailer right off the lot! So we are a bit unique...but isn't everybody unique in their own way?

We have been very warmly welcomed & included in all the WBCCI activities and events since joining in February 2002. As a matter of fact we look forward to getting together with all our new "seasoned" Airstream buddies and we sense some true friendships developing!

As with most business & social associations, most people only get out of it what they contribute...we look forward to contributing as we see opportunities arise.

Besides, I can't think of a better way to meet friendly folks that we wouldn't meet in our everyday lives...we feel honored to be associated with the WBCCI

Shari & Rob
WBCCI #1824
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 10:25 PM   #10
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Talking

So are you saying that i can get my first year free, due to the fact i am a first time A/S owner!!!!!!!!!! Who do i call?? Let me in
TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 10:35 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Contact WBCCI and they will give you the particulars. You can get their phone number and other information at their web site.

www.wbcci.org

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-28-2002, 10:45 PM   #12
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Thanks Jack!!!!!!! I do need to be the PUP around hear..... I am just 32 and my wif is 28 are son is 2.5.This is my first A/S but are 5th tt. I will give them a call in the am.. This is a nice place you have hear!!!!!!!!! Matt Dimmer
Old 05-29-2002, 05:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Question Airstream Membership

We bought a new Airstream TT last year and with it came a paid membership(members at large) in the WBCCI. It is interesting, reading the Blue Beret about the concern for increasing and maintaining members. I am not sure whether that concern is shared among local chapters. I say that because we have never been contacted by our local region as to becoming members nor have we received any correspondence. At this point, I am not sure what benefit it would be to become a paid member when or free membership runs out. Especially when we are not of retirement age and don't have unlimited time to travel - as it seems many events do require extended times. Without input from local/regional folks, we might be like many first timers that just drift away from what might be a great organization due to lack of attention. I don't know whether this information is useful or not, but I thought it at least presented our own experience with WBCCI.
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:01 AM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Some local units are agressive when it comes to trying to convert members at large, others are not. My wife and I were members at large for 5 years, we were traveling full time and did not know where we would end up. In the end we settled in FL and sold our TT. We recently bought our Argosy MH and have joined a unit in our part of the state. The local units would all like to have you as a member but most of them will wait unitil you make the first move. My suggestion to you would be to test the waters with your regional units when they start having rallies this fall. Attend one or two and see if you like the folks that make up a local chapter. Once you are there I can assure you they will ask you to join.

Both of the units we have belonged to understand the realities of younger that members have to work. Most of them started in the WBCCI when they worked and would welcome your participitation even if it is only for a couple of days at a rally. When we first joined we were some of the younger members in WBCCI, I was 29 and my wife was 28.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:00 AM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
We are one of the younger members in our local chapter. We went to a state rally and were recruited there by the chapter for our area. While a lot of people share in the organization of the many activities, they noted that they understand that some of us are still working (like me) and know that we don't have the time yet to participate like the retired folk do. They also planned some rallys that were weekend related and close by again to accomodate those of us who are working.

Patty and I wondered whether we would fit in since we never have been an active part of any RV organization. I have to admit the folks in our chapter go out of their way to make sure we aren't sitting alone or left to the side. So far it has been a very good experience.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-29-2002, 08:04 AM   #16
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
So i called first thing, well im on temporary disability so i dont have much to do all day. The nice lady said to call my unit chairman! i have tryed for 2 days ring ring ring nothing just ring ring... She said not to join till july 2nd and i would get 18 months for free.. Dos a member at larg not have a unit or some thing?????? thanks for a hell of a place like this to come for intell.... and get the intell im looking for!!!!!!!!! Matt Dimmer
Old 05-29-2002, 09:01 AM   #17
Finally Retired

, Washington
Most if not all of the people are volunteers so you are right it is hard to get in touch. Those of us who have membership books can usually get a members name and number from the unit they belong to. Or does your club have a web site? Ours here in Washington State does. That helps also when the members have e-mail they check that when they are gone. How far away is your group? Ours is 35 miles and a very nice place with 175 sites with hook ups.
Good luck glad we can all help each other.
Dave and Louise 2852
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Matt...your local unit officers may already be on their way to the International Rally. The International is being held in Rapid City, SD this year. The rally will run through July 4th.

The rally doesn't begin until June 27th, but many people need to be there early. The officers have meetings, and some of the volunteers go early to get everything ready.

If you can't get through to your membership chairman or Unit President, I suggest trying again after the tenth of July.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:53 PM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
DA,
You should be able to join as a member at large and not have to deal with any local unit officers if you wish. If you do want to join a local chapter you probably will need to wait until the local folks get back in town.

Here is the link to the application form. You should be able to fill it out and send it electronicly.

http://www.wbcci.org/MembershipApp.asp

Note to check off the box member-at-large if that is your choice. If you know the chapter name you can check off the proper box and enter that name. You will get a letter from both the international folks and if you chose a local membership, a letter or call from the locals.

From that point I'm not sure what they will ask for, since you have to provide them a copy of the bill of sale or title application to verify the timeframe in which you bought your new trailer (note that the free membership offer for private sales just started this year and I'm not sure of the start date although I think it was in January 2002).

The web site at http://www.wbcci.org/Regions.asp does contain regional maps, local chapter names, and the name and contact information for the local chapters.

It was nice that International told you to hold off a few weeks since after a certain point you will be free for the balance of 2002 and 2003.

Hope this helps. I'd like to see you get started with a minumum of trouble.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-29-2002, 10:38 PM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Free WBCCI Membership

Here is the offical wording for the free 1 year WBCCI membership for purchasers of used Airstream products.

The free membership program shall be extended to the new owner of any used Airstream purchased from any private party or non-Airstream dealer, provided that the legal proof of purchase (dated on or after January 18, 2002) is provided to WBCCI. This offer is limited to one membership per Airstream vehicle and only where a total transfer of new ownership has taken place. All of this applies only to individuals who have never before been members of WBCCI.

Back to Jack's words....keep in mind that you may join as a member-at-large or local chapter member.

Hope this clarifies the rules on this incentive program.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15