Old 05-29-2002, 07:00 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We are one of the younger members in our local chapter. We went to a state rally and were recruited there by the chapter for our area. While a lot of people share in the organization of the many activities, they noted that they understand that some of us are still working (like me) and know that we don't have the time yet to participate like the retired folk do. They also planned some rallys that were weekend related and close by again to accomodate those of us who are working.

Patty and I wondered whether we would fit in since we never have been an active part of any RV organization. I have to admit the folks in our chapter go out of their way to make sure we aren't sitting alone or left to the side. So far it has been a very good experience.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 08:04 AM   #16
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
So i called first thing, well im on temporary disability so i dont have much to do all day. The nice lady said to call my unit chairman! i have tryed for 2 days ring ring ring nothing just ring ring... She said not to join till july 2nd and i would get 18 months for free.. Dos a member at larg not have a unit or some thing?????? thanks for a hell of a place like this to come for intell.... and get the intell im looking for!!!!!!!!! Matt Dimmer

TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:01 AM   #17
Finally Retired

, Washington
Most if not all of the people are volunteers so you are right it is hard to get in touch. Those of us who have membership books can usually get a members name and number from the unit they belong to. Or does your club have a web site? Ours here in Washington State does. That helps also when the members have e-mail they check that when they are gone. How far away is your group? Ours is 35 miles and a very nice place with 175 sites with hook ups.
Good luck glad we can all help each other.
Dave and Louise 2852
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Matt...your local unit officers may already be on their way to the International Rally. The International is being held in Rapid City, SD this year. The rally will run through July 4th.

The rally doesn't begin until June 27th, but many people need to be there early. The officers have meetings, and some of the volunteers go early to get everything ready.

If you can't get through to your membership chairman or Unit President, I suggest trying again after the tenth of July.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:53 PM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
DA,
You should be able to join as a member at large and not have to deal with any local unit officers if you wish. If you do want to join a local chapter you probably will need to wait until the local folks get back in town.

Here is the link to the application form. You should be able to fill it out and send it electronicly.

http://www.wbcci.org/MembershipApp.asp

Note to check off the box member-at-large if that is your choice. If you know the chapter name you can check off the proper box and enter that name. You will get a letter from both the international folks and if you chose a local membership, a letter or call from the locals.

From that point I'm not sure what they will ask for, since you have to provide them a copy of the bill of sale or title application to verify the timeframe in which you bought your new trailer (note that the free membership offer for private sales just started this year and I'm not sure of the start date although I think it was in January 2002).

The web site at http://www.wbcci.org/Regions.asp does contain regional maps, local chapter names, and the name and contact information for the local chapters.

It was nice that International told you to hold off a few weeks since after a certain point you will be free for the balance of 2002 and 2003.

Hope this helps. I'd like to see you get started with a minumum of trouble.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-29-2002, 10:38 PM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Free WBCCI Membership

Here is the offical wording for the free 1 year WBCCI membership for purchasers of used Airstream products.

The free membership program shall be extended to the new owner of any used Airstream purchased from any private party or non-Airstream dealer, provided that the legal proof of purchase (dated on or after January 18, 2002) is provided to WBCCI. This offer is limited to one membership per Airstream vehicle and only where a total transfer of new ownership has taken place. All of this applies only to individuals who have never before been members of WBCCI.

Back to Jack's words....keep in mind that you may join as a member-at-large or local chapter member.

Hope this clarifies the rules on this incentive program.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-29-2002, 10:53 PM   #21
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Thank you all for the info!!!!! I think i will go with the member-at-large for know....Just got in for work on the gas valve on the hot water heater it work NOW!!!! Just have to fix 4 water pipes next, then its 2 or 3 more small thing togo.
TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:07 AM   #22

Fenton , Missouri
Member at Large

Don't be surprised if you don't get a call or letter from your local chapter if you join as a member-at-large. Not really a problem but they normally will follow up since the International normally informs local chapters of new non affiliated members in their area.

Good luck on your work Matt!
AIR #56
Old 05-30-2002, 10:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The free membership thing is nice but what's going to keep the new members and attract younger ones? I think only creativity and excitement will attract and keep them.

Rallys at amusement parks? (Disney, Hershey Park, Six Flags)
Family 'Summer Camp' rallys?
Educational Rallys for kids?
Rallys at places with large fields, pools, bike paths, basketball courts, playgrounds?

It seems that the campgrounds with lots of family activities would be great spots to meet.

I'm not trying to create a generational rift because I think a diverse crowd makes for more fun and interesting conversation. The fact remains that some retirees don't want kids (and the associated FUN and EXCITEMENT) around.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:26 AM   #24
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Fred,

The last time I went to the Sarasota rally there was a post rally caravan to Seaworld with parking, a day in the park and a nice catered lunch. The driving force behind the type of rallys you mentioned would be the younger members that have kids, and those members that activley participate in their grandkids lives.

One of the best ways to get someting like this started is to be active in your local unit and volunteer to be a rally host. When you are a rally host you get to be king and set up what you want. If you wanted to try to have a greater attendence you could try to advertise the rally in the Blue Beret, or try to have the rally be a region event.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:35 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Fred,
Those are some great ideas for rallies, I cant figure out why they like to have rallies in these out of the way places like state fairgrounds that are usually not in a good location, ugly, typically a dirt field with limited elect/water, no shade, and not much to do. Why cant we go to a regular campground? Also, when we get away for the weekend the last thing I'm looking for is every minute of the day planned for me and having to stand in line for a meal after they call the table I'm sitting at... thats why I went away for the weekend! not to mention the looks I get with a bottle of beer in my hand. I see these longtime members not really wanting us rather just putting up with us .
These are some of our big turnoffs with the club and why we dont see ourselves participating much longer under these conditions and may join the ranks of member-at-large at next renewal.

John (too young for geritol)
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
John,

I'm sorry to hear your experiences with WBCCI have been so disappointing. I'm 37, and have been a member for nearly 10 years. We were members of a Unit for about half of the years, and then were members-at-large while we weren't very active in WBCCI.

As soon as we were able to be active again, we started researching local Units. We found that the closest Unit has most activities at local restaurants, and have very few Unit rallies. So we found a Unit a little farther away, but much more active. We attended one of their rallies to see if we liked their style, then joined that Unit.

The last rally I attended (May 2002) was in a beautiful resort style campground. It was a Unit Rally with about 15 rigs in attendance. We were in the Gainesville, FL area. The days were left unscheduled, but we ran ourselves ragged with local sites and activities.
I noticed a number of members having an alcoholic beverage at the happy hour, although I didn't see anyone drinking with dinner.

Meals were served quickly and went smoothly. Your mealtime experience sounds more like my experiences at the really large rallies with hundreds or thousands in attendance.

At larger rallies, I usually don't even try to attend half of the scheduled events. They always schedule all kinds of different events so they have at least one event to appeal to each attendee. It's like taking a cruise. You can't do everything that's offered, or you'll drive yourself into the ground.

It sounds like you are a layed back kind of guy. I would recommend looking for a Unit that better suits your style.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:01 PM   #27
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I think someone was listening. In the Blue Beret that arrived today there is a caravan that REQUIRES that one person in each unit must be BELOW the age if 19. Here are the details.

The Caravan is N-32-N Northeast Youth Adventure- "The Young and the Restless"

July 5-19, 2003 Leaving from the international in Vermont.

Stops include 6 Flags New England Park, Plymouth where you will see how the Pilgrims lived, an 1800's Seaport in Mystic Conn.,as well as an aquarium. the Hudson valley of New York, and a raft trip on the Delaware River. There will be a day at Hersey Park, and a guided tour of Gettysburg including the battlefield.

20 unit limit Contact garylev35@aol.com for more info.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 05:04 AM   #28
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Well im in now!!!!!! Cant get much for FREE any more.....