Old 03-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Boondoggle

It's a palm frawn that you slice the frawns and then start, well, like braiding them, until you create this really neat thing. My mothers is in our garage...I'll go get a picture of it, but I do not know how to post it here. I'll post again once I get it loaded to my pictures.

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that the name change thing is not warranted. (Indeed, my view is that if there's a name change, then it should be accompanied by a whole slew of other positive changes as well.)

Lynn
Sorry I didn't mean to come across that you implied that at all. I just think that they are trying to put a bandage on a shotgun wound.

AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Kids love "healthy" competition -
Beg to differ, there. We have enough competition in our daily lives. If it was such a great thing, we wouldn't need to take vacations. And that is what my weekends with the Wally club are. The last thing I want to do when I'm on vacation is to get drawn in to yet another freakin' contest, whether it takes the form of a pot luck, appetizers, decorating, speed-wheel-bearing-repacking, or walbernizing. I don't like it now, and I didn't like it any better when I was a kid.
for example, one of the reasons that fishing is such a great weekend/vacation/camping activity is that it give the "appearance" of doing something, while actually doing nothing. BUT...if we let it become an organized activity, it'll become a contest, and ruin the whole thing. "who can catch the most fish? in the least time? the biggest fish? the fattest fish? The fish that looks the most like Wally Byam??????" now, a perfectly lovely passtime has been completely wrecked. I say, if you wanna cook something, go cook something. If you want to go fishing, go fishing. Enough with the contests!
[curmudgeon hat /off]

Quote:
A little history - you know when you went to school and learned about Canada - that we live in Igloos and ride Polar Bears to work - well the image we as kids had of our neighbours was "Talent Shows" and well folks Miss America" - it just went hand in hand with "Apple Pie".
are you saying that you DON'T actually live in igloos, and ride polar bears to work??????

I guess impressions aren't always true. The one about "talent shows" and "miss america"="apple pie" is about as accurate. Its just what they show on TV.

on the "badge" thing: the inherent danger of a sharp object is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't think it matters what you make the badge out of; It isn't going to stay attached to a toddler/pre-schooler for very long. About the only thing you could do is "tattoo" them. (that is, if you want a fool-proof method of ID).
One thing I'm thinking might work is a sticker. If you could get an 8x11 page of peel-off stickers, make up a template, and print out a weekend supply of them on an inkjet printer, when the kid(s) inevetibly pick at them, play with them, peel them off and crumple them up into a ball, you can just slap another one on. cheap...disposeable, non-toxic, and no sharp edges.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Pictures up

Okay, I've loaded two pictures onto my photos of a BOONDOGGLE. This would be for kids who have patience-I only have one of those-lol! I think my other two would get bored. But my mom worked on this for a while. It's a neat thing and has a wonderful aroma!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I take a dim view of competition. I like sports where one can best their own record. And that's what I like in life, goals to better ones self and not to look to compare ones self to others. We all have and should make the most of what we were given as attributes as individuals. I think a participant merit is great. No reason those couldn't be customized for whatever was achieved. I like to reward effort, not vote on who is the best and the majority be losers. To reward beauty which is in the eye of the beholder is just plain shallow. I am sure those cashing in on their looks will learn soon enough in real life about the free ride.

As for badges why not put them on the lanyards (are they called) on a ribbon or strap worn around the neck. Or we could make children t-shirts with clear vinyl pockets that a card could be inserted into.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveGreers
Okay, I've loaded two pictures onto my photos of a BOONDOGGLE. This would be for kids who have patience-I only have one of those-lol! I think my other two would get bored. But my mom worked on this for a while. It's a neat thing and has a wonderful aroma!

Wow,how neat.Looks like a lot of work.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveGreers
Thanks! That is quite a project. That is weaving? of? It almost looks like the weaving of the four vinyl straps we made into whistle holders at camp. That was a box like pattern. Is there a pattern or is this a hands on project to be passed on? I like the idea of projects. I remember fondly making things in camp.

photography
Old 03-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Some of the things my ten year old daughter likes to do while we go camping are, in order of importance to her:.
1. Play in the play area with other kids
2. Ride her bike with other kids
3. Walk her dog
4. Fishing
5. Arts and crafts
6. BINGO
7. Story-time (an adult reads a book to a group of children)
8. Singing children songs around the campfire
9. Scavenger hunt.
I feel things like a scavenger hunt that all should be winners with a prize for all that participate and BINGO you keep playing until all have won and prize is a small candy bar or small toy (age appropriate)
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
great idea. In my region we were scared off the local chapter by attending a large rally where the kids felt unwelcome, and unwanted.
I have not attended a WBCCI event since.
Our 6 or more Forum Rally's on the other hand have been fun for everyone, we try to get the kids involved somehow, and have had smiling faces of all ages.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
As for badges why not put them on the lanyards (are they called) on a ribbon or strap worn around the neck. Or we could make children t-shirts with clear vinyl pockets that a card could be inserted into.
1: choking hazzard. a BIG one.

2: they'd just take it off and fling it somewhere.

I'm talkin' little kids. My son's first experience w/ the wally club was when he was 11 weeks old.

sure, older kids could use lanyards...thats what most of the adults do. making them would be a good activity.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Do I detect a hint of "sweet bitterness" Chuck - or an egging on to reply - somewhat similar to "competition"...

If you don't organize activities that inspire fairplay - then sooner or later the kid with the bigger or better something or other will ruin the sandbox.

Adults are the same way..I wonder how many leave really early to get the best camping spots - or the first in line for the clean power or fresh water - or able to dump the fastest - or set up or break down their camp site the most efficiently - or who secretly passes judgement on how others look after their rigs - or style of tow vehicle or limits each push with their setups and yest the big one - who always seems to be first in line for the icecream or best choice of morning muffins and donuts. "I like mine better than yours" oh yes we have all said or thought that one but when we were kids it was "Mine is Better than yours - my Mom said so".

Without organization kids will run amuck - whether at home or at a Rally - deciding to have a tent and a central play area - believe it or not still takes organization with the intent to meet the "play" needs of the children.

Life is a challenge everyday - the word competition is loosly meant - in a fashion to challenge oneself - or to challenge each other in "healthy" group activities. Only those who play unfair or take advantage of situations will come away with a bitter taste - and of course those on the receiving end of unfair play will remember it for the rest of their lives - what was your story...

Lets see - Pins will prick, Lanyards will strangle, YIKES stickers will end up on that nice 2006 Safari - but may go well with our run down yet to be fixed up 61 Overlander - in fact it could hold her together in places.

I grew up and participated in many individual sports, self challenging sports, team sports and liesure activities, entered lots of contests for this and that where some items/ideas acheived things and others abided my time in submitting them - One thing I did learn though - that PARENTS were the childrens worst enimies - they just would not let their kids come out and have fun - always pushing their kid to be bigger, better faster. I was so lucky to have parents of a different attitude - hence recipient of many sportsmanship awards over the years.

The "competition" emphasis on Healthy was only mentioned as a Motivating idea to encourage more Unit interaction and Region involvement and International awareness.To allow those kids who may never have an opportunity to be on in any organized sports or recreation activities - to benefit from the travel and friendships made all over the world (if lucky) For these kids they have Mom and Dad that have an Airstream - that may go to a campground and meet up with some kids they will never see again - but with WBCCI they may be lucky to attend various Rallies where their acquaintences become life time friendships.

Someone mentioned a while back that all this club is - is an extension of all facets of life - we just do it with a common denominator - Aistreams.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Do I detect a hint of "sweet bitterness" Chuck -
Yep!! DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! You WIN THE PRIZE
Quote:
or an egging on to reply - somewhat similar to "competition"...
ah...nope. sorry, you're a LOSER!

[quote=GT6921]Adults are the same way..I wonder how many leave really early to get the best camping spots - or the first in line for the clean power or fresh water - or able to dump the fastest - or set up or break down their camp site the most efficiently - or who secretly passes judgement on how others look after their rigs - or style of tow vehicle or limits each push with their setups and yest the big one - who always seems to be first in line for the icecream or best choice of morning muffins and donuts. "I like mine better than yours" oh yes we have all said or thought that one but when we were kids it was "Mine is Better than yours - my Mom said so"./[quote]

don't care what other people think or do. It is of no consequense to me. But if thats what its going to be about, I'm gonna pick up my ball and go home.
We like to say in our unit, that "its just camping". that's great, imo. BUT...its not "just camping", if we turn everything into a competion. its annoying. I don't want to spend my vacation time being annoyed.

Quote:
Without organization kids will run amuck - whether at home or at a Rally - deciding to have a tent and a central play area - believe it or not still takes organization with the intent to meet the "play" needs of the children.
absolutely. and it has nothing to do with "competition". there is no need to turn everything into a contest.

Quote:
Life is a challenge everyday -
damn right, and the whole point of vacation is to get away from that. just for a couple of days. If I can't, I'll just stay at work, thankyou.

Quote:
To allow those kids who may never have an opportunity to be on in any organized sports or recreation activities -
there is no such thing in this society. its EVERYwhere. what we need, desperately, is an opportunity to escape it.
]
Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
1: choking hazzard. a BIG one.

2: they'd just take it off and fling it somewhere.

I'm talkin' little kids. My son's first experience w/ the wally club was when he was 11 weeks old.

sure, older kids could use lanyards...thats what most of the adults do. making them would be a good activity.
How 'bout...

1. baby unit bunting and Wally pacifiers for the 11 week olds

2. color coded beanies with spinners (though may be a bit of a propelsion issue as in the flying nun--need to get a committee to study those effects) We had caps for age groups at my day camp.

3. cell phones with walkie talkie capabilities incorporating wi-fi hot spots for the teens to replace their grandparents CBs

And Cory, I loved your list. I think I may borrow it for our grandson's visit!

photography
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
damn right, and the whole point of vacation is to get away from that. just for a couple of days. If I can't, I'll just stay at work, thankyou.
my point exactly - I thought we were talking about the kids here? Not what we think?