Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
Oh come on I'll give ya 50 bucks for it

And I am really glad to hear the the NEU are wearing clothes to their meetings phew that is a really good thing....
Tell me about it! Before we started wearing clothes we were losing new members in droves........

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
interesting bit of paranoia here.

there is no 'dress code' for the WBCCI. it is rather difficult to change something that doesn't exist.

There are matters of respect. Respect for others. respect for your organization, respect for yourself. One way to show respect is in how you present yourself.

This generation is one of the few that has taken the 'up yours' method of expression to new heights in self presentation, even to the point of creating rules to flout where they don't exist to start with.

interesting paranoia.
As an alternate view.

Because of the societal changes of the "Hippy movement" Dress became more casual. Suits and ties have a place in business and formal events. Weddings, Funerals, Court.

The majority of people who were either young or born after the "Summer of Love" find no disrespect wearing business casual attire i.e. Polo shirts, slacks etc. in non formal events and especially if these are liesure events.

It's not an "Up yours" attitude. It's the acceptable social dress for this majority of society.

It's also part of the evolution of society. Remember your history books. At one point if you were not in tights and a powdered wig you were showing disrespect.

How this applies to our club is that a new and younger generation is in the ranks now and while they will follow some of the traditions of those that came before they like every other incoming generation will make changes to suit their views.

Seems that at this crossroad one group says "Change now" and another group says "Follow tradition." Both groups are wrong and both groups are right. In the middle somewhere the long time members and the newer ones can find common ground while presenting a desirable club to belong to for the swelling ranks of newer Airstream owners. If the club is perceived as moribound to new Airstream owners they simply won't join.

The irony here is that the generation that comes after this one will be demanding change also. Probably telling me that I need to be more formal. I'll decline but I'll encourage them to do what it is to keep the club viable thriving and inclusive.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
Oh come on I'll give ya 50 bucks for it
I'll sell you my for 50 bucks! As amatter of fact I'll throw in my wife's too. WOW a twofer deal! Course you could just email the head office and they'll send you a Beret and a bill for 8 bucks...

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 02-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
A point, pointed out, point taken Bryan, except for the up yours generation, LOL do I make that cut or am I too old? I think I was in the Pepsi generation though I drink Dr. Pepper now. I also do hope I didn't miss that summer of love. Redo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are we talking about when we say or hear dress code. Myself, I mean that I saw all the men with red jackets so I figured that was part of a dress code as I suspect wearing tuxedos is part of a dress code. Perhaps dress code is not the proper use of the term but I always thought it meant when someone else told you what to wear in an orgqnization. I have also seen the first lady and the other international Board wives wearing the same jacket as each other to be easily identifiable to the members. Now I have seen the officers and wives/or mates dressed in long dresses and jackets for the ceremonies in Lansing carrying flags off the buses and walking across the grounds and lining up for pictures and dressing for dinner, but that is just dressing up as opposed to all dressing alike.

I was hoping this thread with possible new dress code meant the end of pictures and IBT meetings with the jackets. That's what I thought. It just scares young and new members away I suspect to see the red (grey) panthers retired that a way. Or are those the Guardian Angels I am thinking of??? At any rate it just doesn't look like a camping/travel/enthusiasts type club. But then there are not alot of Wally's generation to lure into new membership. Keeping up with the times and not trying to make oneself conspicuously different from those you wish to reach is a sound plan.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I'll sell you my for 50 bucks! As amatter of fact I'll throw in my wife's too. WOW a twofer deal! Course you could just email the head office and they'll send you a Beret and a bill for 8 bucks...
But a new one wouldn't have that trampled, run over, dog chewed on it, been washed 102 times look to it like yours?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Course you could just email the head office and they'll send you a Beret and a bill for 8 bucks...
Yeah, but they're polyester!

They don't offer the cool wool ones like Wally wore any more. Although, they can be found on ebay occasionally ~ both vintage originals and "almost-as-good" new ones someone is making with the patches available from WBCCI.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

They don't offer the cool wool ones like Wally wore any more. Although, they can be found on ebay occasionally ~ both vintage originals and "almost-as-good" new ones someone is making with the patches available from WBCCI.

Shari
Yeah that is what I am talking about the wool ones....and if they come with friends - that is okay too....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:

....and the shipping will be what say about $75.00
Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
HQ's shipping was about 2 bucks.

Mine is 37.50

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Shari
And I think that might be the entire generational parting of the ways... over textiles really. There was the generation of miracle polyester ...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bowden , West Virginia
We may have some wool berets in our unsold inventory. They are too hot to wear in Texas. Tell me what size you need and I will see if the club treasurer can find your size.

Ken
grannyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyred
We may have some wool berets in our unsold inventory. They are too hot to wear in Texas. Tell me what size you need and I will see if the club treasurer can find your size.

Ken
7 - 7 1/2

That is very kind of you Ken
Old 02-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:

Ken
Ken,

How are they sized?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:

Ken
*Raising hand*

Um, If you have an extra large for my fat mellon can I get it please?

If you only have a large I can stretch it...

Milo

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you want a wool felt beret, you can order Basque berets from various online sources. Most are black, but some makers still produce them in navy blue. If you have a good hat store where you live, they would likely stock them.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bowden , West Virginia
Well, I heard back from our treasurer on the wool beret inventory. We have two small wool berets. The size is 21.5". I guess you must measure the circumference of your head. The cost will be $8 plus postage. If you need one of these berets, let me know.

Ken
grannyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The WDCU prides it's self in keeping up the club traditions. Our unit has very strict rules that were handed down from Wally himself. We are big on formal occasions as you can see from these installation photos.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	54367
Paul is getting ready to hand over his reigns and has followed the rules of "white coat affair" protocol properly. His head attire is also a regulation blue. Luckily our dress code enforcement officer caught Paul and convinced him to change the hat from John Deere green to Airstream blue just before the ceremony.

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	54368
In this photo you see all the officers old and new. All the dresses are of regulation length worn by the ladies. Please note the proper Wally Byam approved eye patches too. Wally made them official during his second European caravan when he saw the men of Luxembourg wearing them to high tea... it is not widely known and hopefully Pee Wee will confirm this, the eye patch was a way to identify fellow caravanners in foreign lands. The blue beret was later made official because there was a shortage of eye patches during the Vietnam war.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Is the german member a current or a former officer, and why is she/he not adorned with blue head gear or an eyepatch? It is a doggone shame he/she was not prepared for the group photo. This is serious stuff.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Dress Code....

ATTORNEY: What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?

WITNESS: Gucci sweats and Reeboks.

Does it really make it more FUN?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just wanted to back up my claims of taking the dress code serious in the WDCU. We have a strict eye patch rule. As I stated earlier it is a little known fact that the eye patch was the first thing used to tell the caravanners apart from the locals while traveling in foriegn countries. Wally was at sea for part of his life and had a thing for anything pirate. Those that knew him closely knew of what a piratephial he was.

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	54376
Here is a photo of Wally in with his favorite hat and his "Sunday" eye patch.

Name:	IMG_1448.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	54377
The eye patch was also seen on some famous caravanners like Pee Wee Schwamborn, seen here in Nova Scotia

Name:	IMG_1449.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	54378
Or here worn by Harry Halbritter, who with his wife went on many caravans.

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	54379
The eye patch has been making a resurgence lately, having been adopted by Wade Thompson, founder of Thor.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote