Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
WBCCI Dream Micro-Caravans

My girlfriend and I discuss at length what our dream one week Caravans would be. For me I would like to see Native American themed Caravans. Possibilities include...

1. Prairie Tribes (Horse tribes)- a north route covering sacred sites in the Dakotas, MN, Plains States, and Montana with a bounce into CA where appropriate.

2. NW Tribes - tribes of the Pacific NW region

3. Tribes of the Southwest

4. Tribes of the Northeast

5. Tribes of the Southeast

Jane wants to see a Route 66 series of Caravans broken up into three or four one week segments.

I am sure there are many more ideas out there for one week Caravans. Executing on this concept could turn the WBCCI into an exclusive (and regional) vacation club for working Airstreamers. Problem is we are working our asses off Monday through Friday. We need to convince the retired WBCCI wagon bosses to buy in and devote significant time to develop well thought out itineraries.

This is a concept that could be advertised in Airstream Life. At the same time it could make the Blue Beret more relevant.

We will continue to push the idea at numerous cocktail parties at Sedalia. Fun fact - Sadalia is considered 'Sodom and Gomorrah' of the mid-west. It's the town where the cattle drives (Katy Trail) met the rail lines which took the cows to the slaughter houses of Chicago. Do happy endings still exist in Sedalia for cowboys????
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I'm dreaming of a 1 week caravan from the mouth of the Columbia river in Oregon to it's source in Canada with all the history that goes with it. I think short local caravans are perfect for Units, we should be able to market them in the BB so everyone in the club has a chance to participate. I think the new WBCCI web site has or will be having a page for marketing rallies & caravans with more than a name.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
I for one would love the idea of a one or two week caravan.
Richard
W.B.C.C.I #5617
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
were shorter caravans discussed a while ago and shot down by the powers that be? I think so. I could do 7 day or shorter caravans. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
were shorter caravans discussed a while ago and shot down by the powers that be? I think so. I could do 7 day or shorter caravans. jim
I think a shorter caravan motion has been brought forward twice for caravans that would run for 8 days or so. Doable with a weeks vacation.

It was shot down by the IBT both times. Excuses ranged from it would add too much to the cost of the directory to list all these caravans to it would keep people from getting to church.

I personally think it was a good motion and should have passed.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
There might be a distinction between caravans organized internationally and those organized by a unit. I may be wrong, but what was shot down was short caravans organized at the international level. But short caravans seem a pretty good fit for units.

Lynn
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Being someone that has hosted a couple of short caravans I personally think they are the way to go for many folks.

Did one last summer from Bristol, TN to Clayton, NY up old Rt. 11 taking in all the old sights putting in about 125 miles a day(Sunday-Fri) on average everything from "Thunder in the Valley" to "Hacker" boats in the 1000 Islands area, caves, trains and potato chips.

It was a bunch of fun,

Enjoy,
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Shorter unit caravans do not count as official according to the international. who cares? jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I introduced a motion for one-week numbered caravans several years ago in Texas Highland Lakes Unit. To his credit, the motion was backed by PIP Jim Haddaway, one of our members. The motion was approved by all but one unit of our region and approved at our Region Rally the year I was unit President. The motion came up before IBT twice and was shot down both times.

Probably the main reason it wass shot down was the Intl Caravan Chair, who was dead set against it. One more example of stone-age leadership in action.

I mean to reintroduce the motion at our May rally.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Jimmy Buffet the Keys and NOLA Short caravans are allowed just not numbered and credited in the index.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Count us interested in a 7 day, maybe stretched to 10 day, caravan. Keys would be great.

John & Susan
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2007 27' Classic FB
Wilkes-Barre , Pennsylvania
NEU has had a 7-10 day caravan each of the last 2 years (2010 & 2011). We were on both. One was through NY, the other NH to Montreal. Both were excellent! Credit goes to Pam & Chuck for planning them out. If each unit would organize just one short caravan a year, there be an endless selection to choose from for those of us still employed.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I see no realistic reason the short caravans should not be sanctioned by the powers that be.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
When it was discussed at the meeting they said it would add too many pages to the index to have unit caravans listed and it was a matter of keeping costs down. They said it would also be too confusing on how to list the many caravans and just how it would not work. They also said it shouldn't be necessary to have recognition, which sounded a bit peculiar to me in light of all the many awards, ribbons, flags, gifts, dinners, perks and competitions that are given and held in the WBCCI.

Wasn't this the second time it was brought before the IBT by members to sanction unit and/or shorter caravans in the club? It doesn't seem to be able to clear the IBT to get a motion to the members for vote.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
If you look at the way things are listed in the BB, the national events get full write-ups while the region and unit ones get just a short listing. If caravans are from units or regions, it wouldn't cost length in the BB any more than a rally would, basically a one- or two-liner. However, if unit or region caravans were given a full write-up in the BB, then I could probably see the point.

Ultimately, it seems to me that short caravans are likely also to encompass small geography, hence better suited to regions or units.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
When it was discussed at the meeting they said it would add too many pages to the index to have unit caravans listed and it was a matter of keeping costs down. They said it would also be too confusing on how to list the many caravans and just how it would not work. They also said it shouldn't be necessary to have recognition, which sounded a bit peculiar to me in light of all the many awards, ribbons, flags, gifts, dinners, perks and competitions that are given and held in the WBCCI.

Wasn't this the second time it was brought before the IBT by members to sanction unit and/or shorter caravans in the club? It doesn't seem to be able to clear the IBT to get a motion to the members for vote.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The caravan numbering system is administered by the national caravan chairman. He did not want to keep track of all those short caravans and therefore was against the motion to grant more national numbers. The Region presidents, that spoke against it at the International, said the increased number of potential caravan listings for the individual members that participated in the short caravans would have to be listed in the national directory and therefore the directory would become longer and more costly. There was the implication that it might diminish prestige for those members that participate in the current longer national caravans. It was brought up that, if any Region or Unit wanted to run shorter caravans, they were free to do so and were encouraged to do so, but they should not be granted national caravan numbers. Therefore; the Region presidents voted to not accept the motion to reduce the number of overnights to qualify for a national caravan number. End of story.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Good Grief,
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. How much room does a list take anyway. Anything that benefits the local units always gets voted down.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The caravan numbering system is administered by the national caravan chairman. He did not want to keep track of all those short caravans and therefore was against the motion to grant more national numbers. The Region presidents, that spoke against it at the International, said the increased number of potential caravan listings for the individual members that participated in the short caravans would have to be listed in the national directory and therefore the directory would become longer and more costly. There was the implication that it might diminish prestige for those members that participate in the current longer national caravans. It was brought up that, if any Region or Unit wanted to run shorter caravans, they were free to do so and were encouraged to do so, but they should not be granted national caravan numbers. Therefore; the Region presidents voted to not accept the motion to reduce the number of overnights to qualify for a national caravan number. End of story.
And the IBT can't figure out why the club is dying. They are like the prior president and owner of the Blackhawks hockey team. He would not allow the home games to be televised if not sold out. He passed on (as the IBT will) and his son took over as president of the team. He televises all home games. This helps to generate fans. Today the Blackhawks are looked to by other teams as to how to ressurect a team.

Short caravans would generate enthuasism for the longer caravans. But again this would require intelligence by forward looking leaders - somenthing the WBCCI currently doesn't have. Like the Blackhawks we will hvae to wait for the IBT and it's like kind to pass on. Hopefully this will happen before they kill the club. But it is better to have no club with quality non-members; quality over quantity as a past IBT president has stated. He will get his wish as the club is headed to having no members within ten years.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Dave, the issue is not whether to have short caravans. There are short caravans and have been been for a long time. The only issue is whether these short caravans receive numbers from the national office.

Lynn
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme
Good Grief,
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. How much room does a list take anyway. Anything that benefits the local units always gets voted down.
I know, right? Even a link to a website would do the trick. An interesting thought....I will have 6 or 7 stars across my Wally numbers before I will have the extra time to go on one of these extended national caravans. The short ones sound great and easier to fit into a busy work/kids schedule. Also seems like a great way to attract new/younger members to the club. If these caravans are as fun as they are supposed to be, it opens the experience up to a wider range of members/potential members.
...My 2 cents at least!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote