Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
If you look at the way things are listed in the BB, the national events get full write-ups while the region and unit ones get just a short listing. If caravans are from units or regions, it wouldn't cost length in the BB any more than a rally would, basically a one- or two-liner. However, if unit or region caravans were given a full write-up in the BB, then I could probably see the point.

Ultimately, it seems to me that short caravans are likely also to encompass small geography, hence better suited to regions or units.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
When it was discussed at the meeting they said it would add too many pages to the index to have unit caravans listed and it was a matter of keeping costs down. They said it would also be too confusing on how to list the many caravans and just how it would not work. They also said it shouldn't be necessary to have recognition, which sounded a bit peculiar to me in light of all the many awards, ribbons, flags, gifts, dinners, perks and competitions that are given and held in the WBCCI.

Wasn't this the second time it was brought before the IBT by members to sanction unit and/or shorter caravans in the club? It doesn't seem to be able to clear the IBT to get a motion to the members for vote.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The caravan numbering system is administered by the national caravan chairman. He did not want to keep track of all those short caravans and therefore was against the motion to grant more national numbers. The Region presidents, that spoke against it at the International, said the increased number of potential caravan listings for the individual members that participated in the short caravans would have to be listed in the national directory and therefore the directory would become longer and more costly. There was the implication that it might diminish prestige for those members that participate in the current longer national caravans. It was brought up that, if any Region or Unit wanted to run shorter caravans, they were free to do so and were encouraged to do so, but they should not be granted national caravan numbers. Therefore; the Region presidents voted to not accept the motion to reduce the number of overnights to qualify for a national caravan number. End of story.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Good Grief,
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. How much room does a list take anyway. Anything that benefits the local units always gets voted down.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The caravan numbering system is administered by the national caravan chairman. He did not want to keep track of all those short caravans and therefore was against the motion to grant more national numbers. The Region presidents, that spoke against it at the International, said the increased number of potential caravan listings for the individual members that participated in the short caravans would have to be listed in the national directory and therefore the directory would become longer and more costly. There was the implication that it might diminish prestige for those members that participate in the current longer national caravans. It was brought up that, if any Region or Unit wanted to run shorter caravans, they were free to do so and were encouraged to do so, but they should not be granted national caravan numbers. Therefore; the Region presidents voted to not accept the motion to reduce the number of overnights to qualify for a national caravan number. End of story.
And the IBT can't figure out why the club is dying. They are like the prior president and owner of the Blackhawks hockey team. He would not allow the home games to be televised if not sold out. He passed on (as the IBT will) and his son took over as president of the team. He televises all home games. This helps to generate fans. Today the Blackhawks are looked to by other teams as to how to ressurect a team.

Short caravans would generate enthuasism for the longer caravans. But again this would require intelligence by forward looking leaders - somenthing the WBCCI currently doesn't have. Like the Blackhawks we will hvae to wait for the IBT and it's like kind to pass on. Hopefully this will happen before they kill the club. But it is better to have no club with quality non-members; quality over quantity as a past IBT president has stated. He will get his wish as the club is headed to having no members within ten years.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Dave, the issue is not whether to have short caravans. There are short caravans and have been been for a long time. The only issue is whether these short caravans receive numbers from the national office.

Lynn
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme
Good Grief,
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. How much room does a list take anyway. Anything that benefits the local units always gets voted down.
I know, right? Even a link to a website would do the trick. An interesting thought....I will have 6 or 7 stars across my Wally numbers before I will have the extra time to go on one of these extended national caravans. The short ones sound great and easier to fit into a busy work/kids schedule. Also seems like a great way to attract new/younger members to the club. If these caravans are as fun as they are supposed to be, it opens the experience up to a wider range of members/potential members.
...My 2 cents at least!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
It's a start

What a coincidence...a short article in the May Blue Beret calls for posting Unit Caravans at the soon to come new website. It your Unit is planning a caravan it can be posted at wbcci.org. Contact is Marion Pember at happihart2@aol.com.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
That's good news, David! (I wish I lived in a place where the BB -- and practically all other mailed matter -- would arrive in a timely fashion.)

Lynn
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #23

Irvine , California
International Caravan Chairman is dead set against changing anything having to do with the outdated, overly long, worker-unfriendly caravans. I suggested, twice, about 5 years apart, that they make the caravans shorter, during the summer, etc, and I received virtually the identical reply: We're not changing anything - if you want a short caravan, do it yourself...

L.A. Phil
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I've been sitting here attempting to pinpoint what advantages are conferred by having the main club have short caravans (as opposed to having caravans by regions or units). It's actually kind of hard, but I'll give it a stab. (I'm not numbering these as numbers might give the incorrect impression of importance.)

-Publicity
-Insurance (?)
-Placement in some historical archive

There have got to be others. Somebody help out here. I figure that once we get a reasonable list that folks agree on, we can maybe sort through importance, which may be much harder.

Lynn
Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
As long as the Caravan is announced in a Unit or Region Newsletter, it becomes officially a WBCCI sponsored function and the liability insurance will be applicable. The insurance is just for claims against the leaders' liability and for the campgrounds you use during the caravan. It is just like rallies. I would think you still need to follow the rules about establishing a Kitty fee. The club has a caravan sinking fund to cover the potential for the leaders to run off with the deposit money, but I am not sure that you could recover from that for a Region or Unit caravans. This fund is administered by the National caravan Chairman and does not appear on the WBCCI books.

You could advertise them in the Blue Beret within the Region write ups that appear monthly. I think you could also list them on the new website, which we hope to get approved tomorrow. AirForums will allow you to list them on their site, but I do not believe you can have a Buddy caravan. I think that is a good thing because a potential liability suit from a non-member.

Unit and Region caravans do appear in historical archives, but I am not sure that is very important to many people. It should be all about the fun you have on the caravan.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ok, so no advantage from insurance. So the advantages are the separate listing in the BB (publicity, but even that may be changing with the new site) and the historical archive thing. Oh, and the fact that it gets a number.
Lynn
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrablr View Post
International Caravan Chairman is dead set against changing anything having to do with the outdated, overly long, worker-unfriendly caravans.
I fully intend to invite Marion Pember, the current Chairman of WBCCI Caravan Promotions, to our Unit cocktail party at International. I hope she will belly up to our well-stocked bar and be willing to talk about the future of the WBCCI. I will provide an updated perspective from the top here to the current mindset on promoting micro-caravans after international.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #28
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
Marion is a retired Army Chaplain and I am certain he will be pleased to attend your Unit's cocktail party. I would also and would like to meet you. I am one of the co-leaders of the SW Adventure Caravan as well as the 1st VP of Region 3. I will be more than willing to talk about the future of WBCCI and how we can together work to keep it going.
Our Unit (Big Bend FL) has had two Unit caravans this Spring each nine days long with 10 rigs on one and 12 on the other. The first was during Spring Break so a couple of our teachers could attend, in fact they planned it. We met in a GA State Park in St, Mary's, GA for three days, then to Savannah to Skidaway island State Park for three days then to Andersonville, GA for three days at the farm of one of our members. We had activities at each location. Each person made their reservations etc. The second caravan was from a Unit Rally at Reed Bingham State Park, near Valdosta and took nine days to get to Myrtle Beach, SC for the Region 3 Rally. We made three stops, cooked together, had a ball. Both of these caravans were listed on Marion Pember's link.

I believe that is the way to have short caravans and publicize them.