Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, first impressions are lasting impressions. Run Forest, run. WBCCI doesn't want you and their responses were rude. Too bad you had to hear all of the reasons/excuses on this forum instead of Julie passing the buck to a dead end road.

Your comment is right on target! We had an experience with WBCCI Unit 26, from Mystic Springs, FL, several years ago. We decided to join WBCCI on an annual membership.....went to several weekend events. Not one time were we asked to join in to any of the activities, and were totally ignored.

Finally at one of the rallys, we were told by one of the senior "ladys" that outsiders weren't welcome, so we granted them their wish and left. To make a long story short, it'll be a blue day in hell before we ever again consider membership in WBCCI....

For whatever it's worth.

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Try something like this. You will have a great time and meet a fun bunch from all over the country. https://www.airstream.com/urban-air-..._hsmi=30497731
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Lets Travel, I am sorry that you obviously had a conversation with one who does not have the best interest of WBCCI or her local unit at heart. If they did, the conversation would have been more informative and less abrupt with you. I have been involved with WBCCI for about 7 years, as a member and now the treasurer of our unit. Definitely run don't walk from the unit you had issues with, they are the ones that give the club a bad name. Most units are inviting and a pleasure to associate with.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Times they is a changin...

First, the N. Carolina club rep. should be ashamed of herself. There are valid reasons for not being able to get you to International, but she should have invited you to a local rally.
I have been a member of WBCCI for about 7-8 years, and we have a fun club in Wisconsin, and have a number of interesting rallies each year. I have been to a couple of Internationals, and I would not recommend them for a first time adventure. Like others said, it is primarily a business meeting, and quite frankly, shows the worst part of the club.
The good parts of the club are local friendships, rallies, help with problems with your trailer, and CARAVANS. I have had a medical problem this year, and I hate missing all the rallies of the local club, but that's my problem.
The club can be stodgy, local units usually aren't anymore, but some are still run like it is 1965 or earlier. Most have modernized and do lots of fun events, and again, KNOWLEDGE SHARED is amazing. You can have everything from first time trailer users, to people who have rebuilt ancient trailer from the ground up.
In Wisconsin, we have the two required meetings a year, each lasting less than a half hour. Enough to keep folks informed, but not bored.
One great thing, that not enough members take advantage of, you can attend other Unit and Regional rallies as you travel. Great local information and new people. It is a great club, with some prickly people in it at times. Give it a chance. The Units that are doing things because we always did it this way,are becoming few and far between.
I wish you the best. I have tried to make my membership help shift the old stogy direction of the club. Not because of any individual effort, but because of many individuals efforts, and because it was time, the WBCCI is becoming a different club and change is happening. Is it perfect, NOPE, but are any of us?
Old 06-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets travel View Post
I am new to Airstream and really never have been big on joining clubs. With this said, my wife and I have been debating whether or not to join the local Airstream club. We heard that the National Rally was in WV this year. only 5 hours away and we thought we would check it out and if we liked it, we would join. I called WBCCI and talked to Julie and she informed me that the rally was for members only. I explained our situation and she said that she was sorry but only members could attend. She advised me to call our local Chapter and surely they could help me because I could come as a friend of someone in the club. I called the local Chapter and was told "No Way" would they let me come as a friend of one of the members but I could join and then would be able to go. I explained I would like to check out the whole scene first and than make a decision. He informed me that no one would sponsor me. Well, joining the WBCCI North Carolina Chapter is out of the question with people like this.
My wife and I are members of Palmetto State Unit in upstate SC. We have several members from the Charlotte Area and WNC and would welcome you as a member where ever you live. Our unit sponsors an Airstream rally called "Alumalina" which will next be held in October at Palmetto Cove RV Park in Cleveland, SC. Attendance at the two most recent past Alumalina rallies has been 100 rigs or more. I assure you you will be welcome at that rally as a non member or member. Someone will likely ask you if you would like to become a member while you are at the rally but no one will put pressure on you. It is a "laid back," relaxed, enjoy your neighbor, just have fun kind of rally put on by some good ol' southern guys and gals who just want to have fun. Watch for a thread on Air Forums which should come up in the next few weeks with the details. You just add your name to the list to sign up. No money up front. Fee for past rallies has been $25 per rig which covers several meals and all activities but not your RV Park cost. That btw is only $25 per night for full hook up. You don't even have to make a reservation at the park as there are 144 full hook up sites. Plenty of room. We hope you will come for the fun....You don't have to join WBBCI but you may find you want to. You will certainly have fun either way.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
We would love to have you join us at any our rallies. Guaranteed that you will meet some of the finest people you will ever meet.

http://secamping.wbcci.net

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Finally at one of the rallys, we were told by one of the senior "ladys" that outsiders weren't welcome
Fortunately for all of us, Units that don't welcome "outsiders" will eventually bite the dust because they'll never gain enough new members to replace those that leave the club due to poor health, age-related decrepitude, selling their Airstreams, or whatever.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .I certainly disagree with that 'doesn't want new members', but there does seem to be a reluctance among older members to move forward. We have been members of the 4CU for several years & have had virtually no contact with 'the club' other than that. Our unit is inclusive, diverse, full of good people & fun. Embracing social media is a big deal for younger folks & communicating with them is essential, IMO. The units like ours, and I hear Southeast Camping unit for another are attracting new members, & Airstream is selling a lot of units these days, soooo.....maybe , travel safe, Craig
Old 06-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Well, I usually stay completely away from the "let's trash WBCCI threads" but since the OP cited "the unit in NC" as the source of discontent, you have my undivided attention.
Firstly, there are 4 units in NC, so you could be referring to any one of them. I belong to unit # 21, one of those 4 units. I hate to see my club and my state trashed based on a conversation that none of us heard, thus this post.
If by chance your contact was with someone from unit 21, Carolinas Unit of North Carolina, I invite you to go to the unit website and send an email so whatever concerns you may have can be addressed. I think it will be better than looking for worldwide input on this forum....
You can also check our unit rally schedule on our homepage. I don't have any say so about the International rally but as a 9 year member of #21, I will extend an invitation for you to pick a rally on our schedule and come visit with us.
In my time I've yet to see anyone who was not heartily welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As is often the case on the forums, we only have one persons version of the facts?, and don't know of any preconceived notions.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What is telling, to me, is that the same concerns have been coming up for the past 7-8 years I've been on these Forums.

Maggie
Old 06-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Very little original thought around here. Same old stuff gets rehashed over and over again.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
As a member of one of the 4 local clubs in NC (021), I would like to extend a welcome to visit one of our rallies and get to know some of the members. I hope that you will visit several local clubs and find the one that is the best fit for you. Once you do, you can join and then get the full benefits of the club. The best of these are the national caravans, the Special Event rallies, and the courtesy parking. We have been members for 12 years and feel like the Airstream Club is a very special part of our full-timing experience. We are also associate members of the Southeast Camping Club because we enjoy the rallies that they sponsor. You may want to give them a try also. There are over 1200 people involved in the club so don't let a few misdirected comments spoil your chances for fun and fellowship.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Davidson , North Carolina
My unit is also 021, we have had members join from outside of NC too. Our club is committed to helping everyone enjoy and learn more about their Airstreams. You couldn't ask for a more supportive group. Please check us out and come as our guest.
You can find us on Facebook: Carolinas Airstream Club of NC.
DutchTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #35

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
I belong to the Oregon Unit and truly believe I've "found my people". As was said above, each of the units have their own personalities which makes it so important that you find the group whose interests and activities align with yours.

This will be my fifth International rally and, while the inner geek in me is giddy at the thought of so many Airstreams in one place, I do think it could be overwhelming for many. Important Club business is conducted, some great seminars are presented and quite of few gatherings around the campfire (or under the shade) are enjoyed.

Don't give up, or let this dissuade you from attending a rally in your area - I honestly can't imagine my life without my Airstream and the many, many friends I've made along the way.

Mona
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have only been a member for 10 years. But I know of no way to "sponsor" someone to attend a national meeting. Is there a process fo this or did WBCCI headquarters suggest it or is it a phrase invented by the OP?

I think the title of the post is an incorrect conclusion. So far as I can see WBCCI welcomes new members and has quite a few each month. What they do not seem to have is a mechanism to accomadate the OP's exact wishes. Maybe they should or maybe not. But I know that I do not know how to get a non member into attendance at a full national meeting. Even if it was a best friend I would have to tell them no to that specifc request.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Franklin , North Carolina
I think this may be a troll thread....seriously, as if NC isn't in the news enough, now this. OP hasn't been back. It's a hit and run. Getting our feathers riled. Bad, bad, opie.
AirBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:29 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBen View Post
I think this may be a troll thread....seriously, as if NC isn't in the news enough, now this. OP hasn't been back. It's a hit and run. Getting our feathers riled. Bad, bad, opie.
Never assume.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
What is telling, to me, is that the same concerns have been coming up for the past 7-8 years I've been on these Forums.

Maggie
From the same people and those who read the old posts and regurgitate them.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Franklin , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Never assume.
Well, usually when someone has an issue, they will discuss it, looking for options, listening for advice, different opinions, perspectives, etc.....not just throw something negative out, then run. That's all I'm saying. I'm not assuming, just throwing out the possibility....
AirBen is offline   Reply With Quote