Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 28' International
Venice , Florida
I am sure Wally is rolling somewhere. To think we have time to discuss the the dos and don'ts of enjoying our Airstreams seems to me pretty petty. The open road is what you make of it! By yourself if you choose or with friends with the same interest. The same interest is "Airstream" for sure. I love talking about Airstream to/and with anyone who will listen. Not fair game to make statements that are negative in nature on a forum that attracts Airstream loving people. For those who wish to be alone, be alone. For most of us we all enjoy all of it with and without this negativity.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
I am sure Wally is rolling somewhere. To think we have time to discuss the the dos and don'ts of enjoying our Airstreams seems to me pretty petty. The open road is what you make of it! By yourself if you choose or with friends with the same interest. The same interest is "Airstream" for sure. I love talking about Airstream to/and with anyone who will listen. Not fair game to make statements that are negative in nature on a forum that attracts Airstream loving people. For those who wish to be alone, be alone. For most of us we all enjoy all of it with and without this negativity.

Well said.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #115
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
...I don't know whey they are still charging a premium except that people keep paying it...

Well that is the essence of capitalism isn't it!

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Actually, I like the idea that the Units should get more money, although I do not know what my Unit could do with it. I suppose, we could eliminate rally fees. I see that some of my Unit members participate in the International stuff, many more have been on Caravans. But it strikes me that the Caravans are supported by the leader and the fees paid by the participants, not the International office. Well, I pay my fees so that I can support Airstreaming and join in my Unit activities. Here is hoping this post is not deleted....
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Why would your post be deleted?

Yes, the participants pay the fees on the caravans. Yes, the leaders donate their time so they support the caravan. I think each caravan pays a small fee to WBCCI for the caravan insurance.

But it all would not happen without the International office and the WBCCI. WBCCI provides the central organization for the leaders and to train the leaders and to keep the long running caravans going. WBCCI makes it possible for the leaders and the volunteers on the caravan to have some liability insurance. Who would lead a caravan if they thought they were going to get stiffed for a financial problem or sued for who know what with no backup? What caravaner is going to mail a $5,000 kitty fee check to a stranger that is not affiliated with a solid organization.

WBCCI is a corporation. A non profit corporation. Its incorporation defines how it is run. It takes a full time staff to operate it and to comply with all the tax regulations. The magazine and stuff like that is just extra.

Join or don't join. It is definitely a better deal if you can go on the caravans. But our local unit has many members who have never caravanned and they still get something out of the club. But if sending $60 or so bucks a year to WBCCI corporate to keep the organization going and some of which helps organize caravans bothers you just don't join. Sorta like don't buy at Cabelas or eat at Longhorn if you don't want to.

I personally like WBCCI just fine the way it is. Our local unit does not seem to need more money. And it is probably more nearly fair for the rally participants of each rally to pay the cost than having the whole membership pay for the people who attend.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have previously challenged forum members to prove to me that their trailer has press board or particle board cabinets. People said that the cheap Safari's were made out of particle board and I have informed them that all of the cabinets in my Safari are indeed made out of plywood. And I had pictures to prove it. There is no use of particle board anywhere in my trailer. No-one to this date has shown proof of particle board cabinets in their's or anyone elses trailers.

Now I challenge you to show proof of "Sawdust cabinets with colored Formica."
I am certainly not an expert on all details of all years of Airstreams, but I have never seen one with particle board cabinets. As far as I know, the vinyl applique on the cabinet walls was applied over plywood. Not stating that there never were particle board cabinets in an Airstream, just that I don't have evidence of it.

The floor, however, was made with OSB from about 1984 to 1993, give or take a year on each end (our 1994 had plywood floors, though). I have seen this with my own eyes on several trailers and have owned one such Airstream, a 1985 model. At the time, they touted this as an improvement, because the entire floor was one sheet of OSB that ran the full length of the trailer did not have the seams every 4 feet that eventually would show through floor tiles or sheet vinyl flooring.

I have heard that in the early 2000's some Safari's and/or International CCDs in the shorter lengths may have used OSB flooring but I have not personally seen it and I do not know precisely which years and which models. If some of the larger and more expensive models continued to used plywood in the early 2000's, I would guess that the OSB was probably made from 4'x8' sheets during that period . . . again just a guess without proof.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am halfway thru a two month road trip. Almost 800 miles so far. I have camped alone in the woods, commercial campgrounds, state parks, national parks (some with minimal hookups and several dry camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway), I have been flooded out of a river side mom and pop campground in West Virginia, spent a night in a Lowe's parking lot, a couple of nights in an unfinished campground courtesy of the Local Chamber of Commerce and finally made it to the largest gathering of Airstreams in many years. For the last couple of weeks I have been in the company of fellow SECU members. We have shared the joy of camping as Wally intended and intense personal sorrow for the our West Virginia host. It has been a journey of many first and I think Wally would approve.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Good post.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post

I have heard that in the early 2000's some Safari's and/or International CCDs in the shorter lengths may have used OSB flooring but I have not personally seen it and I do not know precisely which years and which models. If some of the larger and more expensive models continued to used plywood in the early 2000's, I would guess that the OSB was probably made from 4'x8' sheets during that period . . . again just a guess without proof.
My 2001 Safari 25 had OSB flooring.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Well said stevesuemac. Why can't we all just do what feels right and people stop judging what others do! I think it's great wherever you want to camp, just go out and do it and have fun!!
Just because some do it one way doesn't make it right or wrong . Let's be respectful to each other, this world needs

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1467670793.359036.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	265954

LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote