Old 06-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Do individual Units decide their approach to potential members, then?

I've said my piece here, and this whole issue is starting to seriously get under my skin, so I am going to now leave this discussion to others.

Maggie

Old 06-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Communications will take place. The policy will be shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
We still have only the op side of the story. He may have misinterpreted what he was told. We just don't know.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #74
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Do individual Units decide their approach to potential members, then?
Actually, every Unit has a Membership Director, either elected by the Unit membership or appointed by the Unit President, whose duties and responsibilities include recruitment. Within the guidelines established by the WBCCI and Unit constitution and bylaws, the Unit membership director can handle the issue of recruitment as they see fit. Hopefully the other Unit officers and rank-and-file membership also lends a hand in recruiting new members.

One of the tools for recruitment is the "buddy rally" wherein existing members can invite prospective members to attend. Another tool is the "CPC," a monthly list of everyone in the Unit's geographical area who has bought a new Airstream, which is sent to the Unit's Membership Director, allowing him or her to contact the new owner and issue a personal invitation to join.

When I joined WBCCI, I was called by two different Units' Membership Directors less than a week after I signed my name on the dotted line, and I joined one of those Units.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Mississippi Unit is different.
We will allow someone to attend our unit rallies as a buddy and even wave the rally fees if they decide to join.
This is an incentive to get people to join.
Apparently not all units operate the same.
I do get the point of the rally being sold out and not having room.
The Mississippi Unit and others encourage "open house" tours of our rigs for anyone who may be interested in purchasing an Airstream and being part of the lifestyle.
The Mississippi Unit wants new members!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
I want to thank mbmbstreamer for reaching out to me. His offer to assist me with rally arrangements is greatly appreciated. He explained how the local units are setup and I feel he is trying to fix misconceptions about the WBCCI. Thank you again for your help.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Good deal, hope you enjoy yourself.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Excellent , hope to be seeing you at a rally soon.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Port Townsend , Washington
International not a good representation

I was a member of WBCCI for a couple years long ago. Traveled half way across the country to go to an International but stayed in a local campground so I could have power and water hook ups. I have to be honest that besides seeing 1500 Airstreams in one area, I was not impressed. Luckily we ran across the Vintage Aistream members. We had a '79 and at the time it wasn't quite "vintage" but they still welcomed us in and we felt like family. Really made the trip for us.

At the time our local club was not working out for us so I let our membership lapse. We moved across country now and I may look at the local club and see how we fit in. Might give it another try but unless there is an International within a couple hours, I doubt we will attend another one.

Enjoy your Airstream you way and don't worry too much about the club unless you want to get in events your local chapter is running or a caravan. Your local chapter will probably welcome you with open arms and let you into events without being a member so you can see what it is like.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
I have a question....I've read and at times re-read much what has been posted on this issue and I can say "I really don't have a dog in this fight"!
However, one thing that "popped out" in some of these discussions was the "relationship" between Airforums.com and that of "Airstream" the company. In my naiveté I believed there to be some "connection" between the "Forum" and that of the Airstream Company. But after reading all this I've come to the conclusion that is "totally wrong" and frankly speaking....the company could "careless" about the "content" of what is said about "their product" on this forum. Is this true?
Old 06-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #81

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
But after reading all this I've come to the conclusion that is "totally wrong" and frankly speaking....the company could "careless" about the "content" of what is said about "their product" on this forum. Is this true?
Mostly, but not exactly. There may be the occasional Airstream, Inc. employee or executive who reads AirForums. But probably not as a job responsibility.

And even if they did, who has time to read every post, harvest all of the complaints, analyze them, and develop fixes that can be implemented on the assembly line? Maybe Ford or GM could do it with a whole department, but not a company the size of Airstream.

From time to time, Airstream DOES listen, but your voice is more likely to be heard if you talk to your dealer than if you complain on AirForums. And you're also more likely to be heard if you can offer a workable solution at the same time you offer a complaint.

A prime example is the layout of the Airstream Interstate Grand Tour. There were several owners (myself included) who complained that the NCV3 Interstate's galley faced the driver's side— where the view out the window is of the service pedestal— and the wet bath blocked a whole window on the passenger side— where the view is the area where everyone gathers— basically isolating anyone working in the galley from the social activities (and making it harder for folks inside to watch over kids and pets outside). Lo and behold, the Grand Tour mirror-imaged the layout, and put the galley on the passenger side and the wet bath on the driver's side.

Now if only they'd listen when we tell our dealers that they need to add more battery capacity whenever they add more electrical equipment…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 06-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
No connection between forums and AS. Little connection between wbcci and as.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I fully understand the point of view that the WBCCI is a club for retired folks.
The Mississippi Unit has a luncheon on Tuesdays when working folks are at work.
Working folks cannot caravan and can only attend 1-2 rallies per year.
I guess I pay dues to wear the big red numbers.
I wish they would have more 3 weekend rallies closer to home.
Maybe we will live to see retirement one day.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #84

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I fully understand the point of view that the WBCCI is a club for retired folks.
The Mississippi Unit has a luncheon on Tuesdays when working folks are at work.
Working folks cannot caravan and can only attend 1-2 rallies per year.
I guess I pay dues to wear the big red numbers.
I wish they would have more 3 weekend rallies closer to home.
Maybe we will live to see retirement one day.
This was something I noticed about the GNO Unit as well. Which is why, during my tenure as Unit President— I even stayed an extra year as 1st VP so that my year as President would be after I retired— I scheduled all of the rallies on weekends, Friday through Monday, and made it very clear that anyone who could only attend part of the rally was welcome, since working people might be able to take off Friday or Monday even if they couldn't take off both. And I made a point of arriving at least a day early and staying at least a day late, so that anybody who couldn't make the exact dates could still come before or after and not be there alone. No rally fees, all pay-as-you-go, so that no one would be paying for anything they didn't get if they missed part of the rally. And since only half of the members live in Louisiana (less than half now) most of the GNO Unit rallies were held in Mississippi and Alabama closer to where the other half of the membership lives. And for our Planning Rally and Christmas Rally, I scheduled concurrent luncheons (on Saturdays) so members and affiliates who couldn't attend the rally could at least come for the luncheon.

My efforts at being accommodating were less than successful— the Unit members and affiliates stayed away in droves for all of my rallies and luncheons— but the reasons for that are many and as varied as the members themselves. The point I'm trying to make is that the event planners can do more to accommodate working members, if only they put their minds to it. Having Unit officers who still work, or who are recent retirees who remember what it was like to work, can help in that regard.

And for those WBCCI members who work for a living, check the schedule for your Unit to find out when the next planning meeting will be held. If you can only make one event all year, that's the one to attend, because that way you can let the long-time retirees know that you need rallies that fit your schedules. If you come to the planning meeting with an idea for a rally that meets your needs— and that you're willing to host— so much the better.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4