Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2016, 05:36 AM   #81
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
But after reading all this I've come to the conclusion that is "totally wrong" and frankly speaking....the company could "careless" about the "content" of what is said about "their product" on this forum. Is this true?
Mostly, but not exactly. There may be the occasional Airstream, Inc. employee or executive who reads AirForums. But probably not as a job responsibility.

And even if they did, who has time to read every post, harvest all of the complaints, analyze them, and develop fixes that can be implemented on the assembly line? Maybe Ford or GM could do it with a whole department, but not a company the size of Airstream.

From time to time, Airstream DOES listen, but your voice is more likely to be heard if you talk to your dealer than if you complain on AirForums. And you're also more likely to be heard if you can offer a workable solution at the same time you offer a complaint.

A prime example is the layout of the Airstream Interstate Grand Tour. There were several owners (myself included) who complained that the NCV3 Interstate's galley faced the driver's side— where the view out the window is of the service pedestal— and the wet bath blocked a whole window on the passenger side— where the view is the area where everyone gathers— basically isolating anyone working in the galley from the social activities (and making it harder for folks inside to watch over kids and pets outside). Lo and behold, the Grand Tour mirror-imaged the layout, and put the galley on the passenger side and the wet bath on the driver's side.

Now if only they'd listen when we tell our dealers that they need to add more battery capacity whenever they add more electrical equipment…
Old 06-17-2016, 05:37 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No connection between forums and AS. Little connection between wbcci and as.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I fully understand the point of view that the WBCCI is a club for retired folks.
The Mississippi Unit has a luncheon on Tuesdays when working folks are at work.
Working folks cannot caravan and can only attend 1-2 rallies per year.
I guess I pay dues to wear the big red numbers.
I wish they would have more 3 weekend rallies closer to home.
Maybe we will live to see retirement one day.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #84

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I fully understand the point of view that the WBCCI is a club for retired folks.
The Mississippi Unit has a luncheon on Tuesdays when working folks are at work.
Working folks cannot caravan and can only attend 1-2 rallies per year.
I guess I pay dues to wear the big red numbers.
I wish they would have more 3 weekend rallies closer to home.
Maybe we will live to see retirement one day.
This was something I noticed about the GNO Unit as well. Which is why, during my tenure as Unit President— I even stayed an extra year as 1st VP so that my year as President would be after I retired— I scheduled all of the rallies on weekends, Friday through Monday, and made it very clear that anyone who could only attend part of the rally was welcome, since working people might be able to take off Friday or Monday even if they couldn't take off both. And I made a point of arriving at least a day early and staying at least a day late, so that anybody who couldn't make the exact dates could still come before or after and not be there alone. No rally fees, all pay-as-you-go, so that no one would be paying for anything they didn't get if they missed part of the rally. And since only half of the members live in Louisiana (less than half now) most of the GNO Unit rallies were held in Mississippi and Alabama closer to where the other half of the membership lives. And for our Planning Rally and Christmas Rally, I scheduled concurrent luncheons (on Saturdays) so members and affiliates who couldn't attend the rally could at least come for the luncheon.

My efforts at being accommodating were less than successful— the Unit members and affiliates stayed away in droves for all of my rallies and luncheons— but the reasons for that are many and as varied as the members themselves. The point I'm trying to make is that the event planners can do more to accommodate working members, if only they put their minds to it. Having Unit officers who still work, or who are recent retirees who remember what it was like to work, can help in that regard.

And for those WBCCI members who work for a living, check the schedule for your Unit to find out when the next planning meeting will be held. If you can only make one event all year, that's the one to attend, because that way you can let the long-time retirees know that you need rallies that fit your schedules. If you come to the planning meeting with an idea for a rally that meets your needs— and that you're willing to host— so much the better.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When I was still in the club I attended zero functions. My fault, I worked every weekend for over ten years. I didn't expect the schedule to be changed to accommodate me. I was treated very well by others in the unit.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
To the OP -- The Escapees will be having their https://www.escapees.com/knowledge/e.../56th-escapade at Essex Junction, VT from July 24-29/16. The Silver Bullets BOF (Airstreamers) have their annual meeting (actually just a dinner and gabfest). Escapades are much less formal and friendlier than any International I've attended.

85MH325 – Your observations are bang on and I quite agree with what you’ve said. Notwithstanding the protestations by some of the posters, “The Club” has marketing and social attitudes that reflect it past rigidity and exclusivity.

Mbmbstreamer – As a Director you can’t influence the past, but can do so for the future. Then here is your challenge: You and I had an exchange of postings (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-120353-2.html #14, 16 & 25). Fix this issue and ensure that *ALL* units have identical by-laws and rules and that these are *ALL* in conformity with the bylaws, code of ethics and rules for *ALL* units, *ALL* Regions and International.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Would not want to see all units with the same by laws, etc....not a good idea.

However, I am amazed that nearly all of us agree that these sub units make joining wbcci worth it. My problem is this. The unit dues range from $1 to $15, the corporate office gets $65 and few people like the corporate level at least that is where most of the disapproval is directed.....so why don't we change that? Give more of the dues to the local units...that does not mean raise local sues, it means shift dollars from corporate to local. We went to one international and likely will never do another one. My personal complaint is that the organization at the corporate level is only focused on itself, and not the members.....not a useful purpose....
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
?..You and I had an exchange of postings (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-120353-2.html #14, 16 & 25). Fix this issue and ensure that *ALL* units have identical by-laws and rules and that these are *ALL* in conformity with the bylaws, code of ethics and rules for *ALL* units, *ALL* Regions and International.
I'm not a WBCCI member, but as a noobie AS owner, I am interested in discussions of the club, on both sides.

Question please: I read the above link. So does membership in WBCCI come with rules regarding the contents of my trailer (reference whether I may / or may not carry a firearm)?

Thanks, Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #89

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Question please: I read the above link. So does membership in WBCCI come with rules regarding the contents of my trailer (reference whether I may / or may not carry a firearm)?
To the best of my recollection, the words "firearm" and "weapon" do not even appear in the WBCCI constitution and bylaws.

But since not all WBCCI members are agreed on the pro/anti gun issue, whether you carry firearms or not is best considered a "don't ask, don't tell" matter at any WBCCI function.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
I'm not a WBCCI member, but as a noobie AS owner, I am interested in discussions of the club, on both sides.

Thanks, Rich

To answer your question, no. And in my opinion it is nobodies business what I carry in my trailer or TV. Don't ask don't tell!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:32 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
To the best of my recollection, the words "firearm" and "weapon" do not even appear in the WBCCI constitution and bylaws.

But since not all WBCCI members are agreed on the pro/anti gun issue, whether you carry firearms or not is best considered a "don't ask, don't tell" matter at any WBCCI function.
Ok, thanks.

I wasn't trying to spark a 2a debate; just was curious what (if any) WBCCI guidelines are on the subject.

At the moment, we have our hands full just learning how to operate our AS. Perhaps we'll look for a local unit in our area (Tampa, more or less) and see if we fit in. From what I gather, it kind of depends on personalities, which is probably true in any group.

Having said that, I think what brings Airstreamers together is more important than minor squabbles. I guess whatever your group, WBCCI, Escapees, Airforums; all of us like the sense of Adventure of being on the road and meeting new people.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #92

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I guess whatever your group, WBCCI, Escapees, Airforums; all of us like the sense of Adventure of being on the road and meeting new people.
Sadly, even that's not a foregone conclusion. There are some WBCCI Units that don't really travel anywhere; their Unit rallies are at the same place every time, so unless visitors arrive from another Unit, they only see the same people every time, not only in the rally, but in the community as well. Their members' travel is pretty much restricted to caravans, Region rallies, and International rallies— if they even attend any.

I don't think I could belong to a Unit like that. I would prefer to not return to the same campground twice, no matter how good it is, because there are so many places I haven't been. I do make exceptions if I went to a campground solo and later a rally is held there, and some campgrounds just have so much to do (either in the campground or the surrounding area) that one trip isn't enough.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The Ontario unit added a prohibition to have firearms by amending their local code of ethics without a vote and head office approved the change saying that they would never allow this change to go before International. From what I see, there is no provision in the local bylaws to do this - it is done at the International level where a vote must be taken IF a letter is sent to the secretary demanding the vote. I had verbally asked for the vote, but head office approved the amendment to restrict firearms at the Ontario unit level nonetheless.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Your vision of Airstream ownership is too... shallow

Not being able to attend personally at an organized 'show and tell' parade should not be your life's ambition of Airstream ownership.

I did not purchase our Airstream with the intent to pay to park in a field with other Airstream owners to socialize. If that was your 'purpose of owning an Airstream'... you are getting what you deserve. My intent was to remove myself as far as possible from those who find this as their life's ambition.

A land version of an Ocean Cruise Vacation one can get for comparison.

Although, I have discovered that the majority of Airstream owners prefer these kinds of rallies. I do not. It is by choice, not a requirement. Make your own vacation personal and private, if necessary. Finding a small Boondocking group is as refreshing as anyone could imagine... yet, outside the majority interest of Airstream ownership.

If you depend on WBCCI for finding uses for your Airstream... your vision is much too shallow for ownership of any brand of trailer.

After reading this Thread... I now understand why so few Airstreams make it off a paved road and a parking lot. It is not the trailer. It is the mentality of ownership of the majority. It is a sad day for the original purpose of an Airstream to explore the world with the modern conveniences that these trailers provide. Not to anguish over the lack of space in a parking lot full of similar shallow options for their trailer.

I, personally, would have been embarrassed to have even considered this as a reason to complain on this Forum.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
People who boondock far out in the wilds are so much the minority here yet we get to dream as they tell their stories. Enjoy the stories but please don't criticize those who use the AS as the vast majority go. Most modern AS are not intended to go off road, it's a misuse of the product.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
People who boondock far out in the wilds are so much the minority here yet we get to dream as they tell their stories. Enjoy the stories but please don't criticize those who use the AS as the vast majority go. Most modern AS are not intended to go off road, it's a misuse of the product.

I have yet to complain or be criticized as being independent of the majority and a minority.

Most Airstreams... maybe consider it ALL Airstreams are not currently built to even hold together on paved roads. Airstream promotes the original purposes of Airstreams of the past, but builds them for parking lots and open fields for the 'social trailer owners'. It is the quality of Airstream that has been diminished, not their uses. So lets not go there. For the cost, the quality is lacking.

After a couple more years our 2014 will be up to the standards that we paid with my improvements. It is not the use, but the trailer that is a disappointment. The cost of better fitted screws and hinges is not a major engineering accomplishment. It is a lack of corporate vision for the future of Airstream.

Sawdust cabinets covered with colored formica and plywood fitted within a riveted aluminum skin is not the Airstream of over 75 years of 'improvements'. Maybe you are right. The majority is using their Airstream as it is designed. I have to admit... my argument sounds hollow in comparison to the majority. I am a sucker to have believed in Wally Byam's vision.

It is sad to find that an Airstream Owner finds their trailer of value only to camp in a field near town and consider this a 'wise use of their money'.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Like I said, you are in the minority and welcome to your opinions. Keep the stories coming, it's like reading boys life magazine again.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

It is sad to find that an Airstream Owner finds their trailer of value only to camp in a field near town and consider this a 'wise use of their money'.
Who are you to criticize how others use their trailers? Be sure to post where you camp so I can avoid you - I don't need someone telling me I'm doing it wrong.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Who are you to criticize how others use their trailers? Be sure to post where you camp so I can avoid you - I don't need someone telling me I'm doing it wrong.

I share your sentiments. We are in agreement.

I promise not to be found at a WBCCI Event so you can attend. You are welcome to camp with me in the other 90% of open space at any time. No special hat, flag, sticker, number or membership required.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post

We need a like button. 👍🏻

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote