Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #43
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Lets Travel,

I think that Matt's post was one time that he needed to add his WB history or club title to his comment.

Might be worth following up with Matt this time for info and an ear that can listen.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #44

1979 25' Tradewind
Chaumont , New York
Benifits of belonging

Do not overlook the benefit of Airstream Caravans. They are open to members only. We have been on 3 and have met many lasting friends from Calufornia to North Carolina to Ontario, Canada. We will not give up the club, until we can no longer tow!
Ted & Donna Smith # 18294
PS: we attended the Mardi Gras Rally a few years ago. There was s Good Sam Rally at the same campground and there rally fee was $2000 more than ours !

Old 06-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Franklin , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets travel View Post
I've read with great interest all the opinions, what I stated was what happened. The person from the NC club was very nice, but said what he said, they would not sponsor me to the rally. As people have said maybe this was not the right venue to visit to get an opinion of WBCCi, but the way I look at it is if the parent is poor, so is the child!! Like many of you have said, I will enjoy my airstream and camp at the many wonderful campgrounds in this great country and hopefully run into other airstreamers along the way.
Please, explain what you mean, by the term "wouldn't sponsor me" what is this sponsorship,of which you speak?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Wondering about that myself.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Never heard of that.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Clubs often sponsor the attendance of prospective members at club functions, giving everyone the opportunity to meet and see if it's a good fit for all concerned. I don't see it as all that unusual for a person unfamiliar with the WBCCI to ask for sponsorship to attend a rally. I do find it unusual that nobody explained to the OP why visiting the International rally wasn't possible and quickly follow up with an invitation another local club event. Based on information available, it doesn't sound like it was handled very well.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Julia from the WBCCI told me that any member could sponsor me to get into the rally, I could only attend for the weekend and found a campground that still had room. She suggested I call my area airstream club to see if they would sponsor me. I could get into the rally on a daily pass.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets travel View Post
Julia from the WBCCI told me that any member could sponsor me to get into the rally, I could only attend for the weekend and found a campground that still had room. She suggested I call my area airstream club to see if they would sponsor me. I could get into the rally on a daily pass.
There you go.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It does seem rather inconceivable that a potential member...a person who had specifically expressed an interest in joining the WBBCI... would not simply be encouraged to come by the rally, visit, talk to folks, look at trailers, etc.

And, without a "day pass", which I understand is about $50.

What does it cost current members to greet people warmly, offer a chair and a cup of coffee, extend kindness and a sense of community, and show people what they would gain by joining the WBBCI?

There seems to be a strong, persistent and rigid thread throughout the WBCCI...not everyone, mind you, as I personally know many members I think very, very highly of...that is kind of that junior high, clique-ish, us-and-them mentality.

And, we've been reading about it here for years.

They don't like, and can actually shun, those who are different from them....or, God forbid, criticize the Club and its practices. Are they afraid?

These folks never "get it"...that the way to change is to embrace, and accept, the differences in everyone, encourage participation and socialization in whatever is going on, and exclude no one.

This includes encouraging open commentary on what is liked and disliked about the Club, what works and what does not.

Folks can say all they want about how much the Club has changed, but in many ways the chronic reports of the same kinds of things here show that it really has not.

That old-school, rather hide-bound mentality persists broadly, and is nurtured in some way. It is serving some purpose for many members and Units, as they hold on to it so tightly.

It is actions that show change, not words. A change in behavior is the key.

A missed opportunity here for the Club, and with someone who was willing to write on these Forums about their experience.

Maggie
Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
WBCCI Doesn't want New Members

I have asked Let's Travel to share more information offline. The folks in Jackson Center and in the "NC Unit" appear to have miscommunicated with or mis-understood Let's Travel.

I hope we can resolve their questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, they know exactly who they spoke with, and have named that person a couple of times here.

Why hasn't that person reached out to them, and apologized, clarified, whatever, if that's what happened.

That would seem the right and proper thing to do.

Y'all have gotten a whole lot of bad publicity here, which could have been avoided if the "party line" were more positive and inclusive.

Maggie
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Why is it that the club is automatically at fault when we have only one side of the story? This sounds like a misunderstanding from a nonmember with no knowledge of how the club operates.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
WBCCI Doesn't want New Members

It may also be a misunderstanding on the part of the member to whom they spoke.

As a point of clarification, guests may come into the rally by invitation of a member. The cost (full attendance at all activities) is $20 for the day.

I am certain that some club members do NOT know the policy. Perhaps some communication of the policy is warranted.

If anyone wants to visit for a day, contact me. I will be happy to invite you to come see the Rally.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #56
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Why is it that the club is automatically at fault when we have only one side of the story? This sounds like a misunderstanding from a nonmember with no knowledge of how the club operates.
"The Club" is automatically "at fault" because they make the rules. In this case, the rules are arcane and made so that essentially you have to BE a member to get a copy of them.

And Maggie is absolutely right in her assessment of how long "The Club" has been dysfunctional and stand-offish. I joined in 1998, went to a couple of local rallies, went to the 1999 International in Sioux Falls, paid my dues for a couple of more years mostly for the membership directory, and then dropped out in '03 after deciding that even the directory wasn't worth paying the dues for.

So, my friend this exact behavior on "The Club's" part goes back at least twenty years.

"The Club" should have contacted a local chapter rep, and that person should have contacted the OP to answer any questions they may have had. "The Club" and the local chapter should be working together to welcome and accommodate the request of a new potential member. "The Club" making the effort to invest time and energy into prospective members is what causes the prospective member to invest of themselves in the organization.

That's a concept that has completely escaped the WBCCI since at least 1998, and probably much longer. From 1998-2003 (the years of my experience) the WBCCI was THE most rigid and demanding "club" I'd ever been associated with while providing the least to their members. The political infighting was fierce and vehement on a number of issues. I remember well the fight the Vintage Airstream Club had trying to be recognized as a legitimate part of the WBCCI. The whole fight was ludicrous, and the VAC members were pretty much ostracized from the main "Caravanners Club" even though it was the fastest growing segment of the Club's membership. Oh, and then the motorhome-trailer fight, and the silver-vs. squarestream fight... the list of events of un-civil unrest and infighting in the club goes on and on. Neither of our main two political parties have anything over on the WBCCI when it comes to partisan political infighting. The projected an image of being an "Owner's Club" all the while continuing to cling to regulations that limited them to being the "Caravan Club" that they were originally chartered to be. Many members wanted it to be an "Owner's Club" as advertised, but the folks who were actual Caravanners remained in control and shut down any attempt at changing. And it sounds like that same infighting continues today.

To the OP: The WBCCI apparently continues to be a "Caravan Club" rather than a "camping club" or "Marque Owners Club." Many posters here are correct in that local units have unique personalities and you're likely to find one to suit yours; but frankly Airforums Rallies have NO business meetings, are just a bunch of folks who get together to enjoy themselves, and are a lot of fun. They got started (which caused much consternation among the WBCCI back in the day) by folks with Airstreams (wanna-be-s, and former owners like me) who just want to have some fellowship, and enjoy themselves without the structure of "The Club."

Actually, the overwhelming success of the-then-"Airstream Forums" (our site here) was a huge embarassment to both the WBCCI and Airstream, Inc. itself as both tried to leverage the success of these forums with fora of their own, and failed... the behind-the-scenes politics and legal maneuvering by Airstream was both shameful and interesting to watch, especially as a member of the moderating team back in those days. The owner of the forums, an Airstream enthusiast just like you, tried to build formal alliances with both Airstream and the WBCCI which could have worked to the advantage of all three entities, but neither Airstream nor the WBCCI would have any of it because they didn't have control. There were threatened lawsuits, and the Forums did actually change its name from AirstreamForums.com to Airforums.com under threat of a trademark infringement suit by Airstream, Inc. As an owner-enthusiast myself, the behavior of both the WBCCI board AND Airstream, Inc. was both incomprehensible and exclusive... but nothing new or out of the ordinary for either of them. Fortunately things seem to have smoothed out in the past fifteen years, but I suspect that old resentments still simmer.

In any event, twenty-three camping units (Airstreams, vintage kin and SOBs) just concluded the three-day, 14th Annual Midwest Airforums Rally at Moraine View State Park in Le Roy IL and all those in attendance had a GREAT time socializing. And they tolerate let old-timers like me who don't 'stream silver any more!

So, your assessment of the WBCCI isn't inaccurate... the organization is regimented and stand-offish... even though most members are great folks, and the local units don't necessarily subscribe to the same regimentation the National organization does. Just realize that if you're not interested in "Caravanning" there are better ways to socialize and enjoy the fellowship of like-minded Airstream owners... and finding the Forums is the first and best step to that end. The WBCCI has missed the mark in membership recruiting and has failed to change to meet what many new and current owners want... and they're not likely to change... so enjoy your trailer and don't worry about it. They obviously don't need you as a member. They didn't need me either.

Good luck, and best wishes for many years of happy travels in your Airstream!

Roger