Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Forgive me if I am wrong but is there a standard way to apply and certain place the numbers are to be put? If you join the club as I did to be part of a club, follow the instructions that came with the numbers. If you don't like the instructions or the place they are to be put keep them in drawer and leave it at that. I like my numbers where they are.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Americans, as a whole, are not into conformity as much as some other nationalities. Even when I wore a uniform, I found my own ways to test and improve the system. I will find a better way to display my numbers than that provided by WBCCI and I will defend my right to do it my way...as have some others, it seems.
Larry

Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm fortunate that my Airstream is an Interstate. WBCCI hasn't come up with a standard way to mount numbers to an Interstate, as least not as of when I joined, so I can stay completely neutral in this developing difference of opinion.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
Mount them any way you and just enjoy the friendship and adventure
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We mounted the BIG numbers on a sheet of plexiglass, after painting the backside silver and drilling little holes for chain and suction hooks.. If we're ever at an International Rally again, we pop the 1'x2' panel up on front with suction hooks and we're good to go.. We bought 3" red and blue numbers from office supply place and installed WBCCI numbers and Forum numbers on rear bumper.. Folks passing us from behind still able to read and ID us using the directories... (Bumper numbers easier to see if you click on picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105-0575_IMG.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	193723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	193724  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Yep, it looks tacky to us. So, we have ours on clear plastic to be mounted when coerced into displaying. Otherwise, we endure the insulting "bald" label which some have hurled at us. Other folks proudly display their numbers and actually seek to have old ghost numbers re-assigned to their names. Our numbers / decal spend most of the time in our closet. No flames ... as YMMV.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The numbers on the roof are part of the traditional look of Airstream travel trailers. Rivets, aluminum, the familiar shape, and red numbers; without them you're just another s.o.b. Kinda tacky.

doug
Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The numbers on the roof are part of the traditional look of Airstream travel trailers. Rivets, aluminum, the familiar shape, and red numbers; without them you're just another s.o.b. Kinda tacky.

doug
Actually, I don't think that is quite true. The numbers were traditionally for the caravans. Not allot of folks could afford to go on them due to cost/time (hmmmm). After the formation of the WBCCI the numbers started to grow. However, I do not believe the amount of airstreams with numbers, ever surpassed those with out. Today the majority of units you see rolling down the road are "Bald" and some might add beautiful. There are only a little over 5K members but WAY more airstreams out there. But either way; red head or bald, they look great in my humble opinion. Personally I don't have numbers up. It was a personal choice. I always find it funny that more people are worried about me not having numbers than if I am having a good time. But like many others I have a placard I can put in the fore and aft windows like so many others do.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
It would be nice if you are a member of the club to display your numbers, if not a member, who cares. Why join if the numbers bother you so much. Former member, no longer own AS .. Jim
Old 08-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you are a WBCCI member, and you attend any of the big rallies (not just the WBCCI International rallies, but also any of the non-WBCCI "Aluma" rallies (Alumaflamingo, etc.) the numbers provide the easiest means of finding you. You may be able to find your own shiny trailer amid three hundred others at a glance, but that doesn't mean your friends can find your trailer that easily!

Still, if you don't WANT to be found…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Surprised there is still passion around red numbers.. Really! For us, the nu8mbers would be around factor number 46 or 47 to consider when evaluating membership in WBCCI.. The reasons for joining the Club have to do with groups, events, travel in caravans, courtesy parking, and a lot of other factors. AS noted above, the red numbers sole purpose was to identify trailers on a caravan in the '50's or '60's, and more recently at events like the International Rally, where the CB Radio folks claimed red numbers would help an ambulance find your rig more quickly... If anyone ever told us we "weren't welcome" without big red numbers, we'd move on and look for a different group within the Club to hang out with...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am not a member of the WBCCI because I still work and do not have time to caravan. If I am ever able to retire I will join the WBCCI and caravan and put big red numbers on my trailer. That's just part of it. That's just how it's done. The big red numbers "belong" on a silver trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I am not a member of the WBCCI because I still work and do not have time to caravan. If I am ever able to retire I will join the WBCCI and caravan and put big red numbers on my trailer. That's just part of it. That's just how it's done. The big red numbers "belong" on a silver trailer.
Being a member of WBCCI is more then just caravaning. When you join a local unit or be an affiliate member of another, it opens you up to an experience of mutual enjoyment of owning an Airstream and knowing others with the same passion of ownership. The numbers indentify you as a member and I think this is cool! Visit a rally in your area and see what I am talking about. The local members make the club!!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post

Being a member of WBCCI is more then just caravaning. When you join a local unit or be an affiliate member of another, it opens you up to an experience of mutual enjoyment of owning an Airstream and knowing others with the same passion of ownership. The numbers indentify you as a member and I think this is cool! Visit a rally in your area and see what I am talking about. The local members make the club!!
Ditto!