Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
No doubt the forum Google search engine is spinning as a few folks get wound up with threads of the history of the idea and why historically it wouldn’t work. So before all the weary citations come in…

I believe Eubanks idea is a good one.
Let me ask this: What obstacle would be encountered in making this a reality AND before you hit reply be sure you offer at least one suggestion on how to overcome that obstacle.

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lynn ~

Another difference between a "Club" and a "Unit", besides what you mentioned about having to be a member of a "Unit" (or MAL) in order to become a member of a "Club", is that members vote through their "Unit" - not their "Club". The "Club" does not have a delegate or cast votes as a body.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I understand the need for a unit being associated with geography. Perhaps the definition of geography needs to be expanded. In this day and age, could 'cyber space' not be considered a geographic entity? If one is open to thinking abstractly, I don't see why not. So, 'WBCCI Cyber Unit' seems an appropriate name for the unit to me. You could expand upon it: 'WBCCI Cyber Unit - North America', 'WBCCI Cyber Unit - Europe', etc.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #124
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, Shari, that's absolutely right! "Club" members don't have a vote; that goes with "Unit" membership. (That really does show how geographically grounded we are. Not a criticism; just an observation and a convenient pun.)

As far as mere communication is concerned, is it really necessary to have a "club" (or a "unit") to do so? We already have both the WBCCI forum as well as this forum. The problem I would foresee in creating even more means of communication is fractionation: It's far too easy with the internet to create ever smaller communicative associations with very fluid memberships. (Just one peek at Yahoo Groups and the gazillions of communicative associations located there pretty much tells that story.)

I was, by the way, thinking that at least one new unit and a region would be warranted for folks in Europe (possibly elsewhere?). Wouldn't have a club-like term ("cyber" or "internet") associated with it, but, with growing numbers of Airstream owners in the UK, France, Belgium, Holland, and Germany (did I miss anybody?), at least one unit and region ought to be permitted, if those folks want it. The mere fact that Airstream Inc. is marketing in Europe and building EU-complaint units for Europe supports this.

Lynn
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
why historically it wouldn’t work
how is "work" to be defined in this context? This is, I think, related to the question in the next post:
Quote:
Perhaps the definition of geography needs to be expanded. In this day and age, could 'cyber space' not be considered a geographic entity?
I think this is the critical question. For many in this discussion, it appears that the purpose of membership and, hence, the purpose of the club, is to "vote" and, in that context, geography can be defined by any communications capability.

If you think that the organization exists for purposes other than voting and politics, then you need to measure what will "work" and what a "definition of geography" should be against that reference.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Taking up on Bryan's point, voting is part of the organization, of course, but more to the point, I think, is what we're about: We're about camping and traveling together with our Airstreams. And that does mean geography at some level, hence the notion of "unit."

So what's beyond camping and traveling with our Aistreams, and, consequently, beyond "unit" membership? Here you can run the gamut, whether it's interest in vintage Airstreams, interest in computers, interest in internet communications, or whatever. This is where we can talk about "clubs" rather than "units."

Further still, however, is that having WBCCI-sanctioned "clubs" may be more than folks really want just for mere communicative associations. Keep in mind that even "club" membership implies dues, organization, officers, perhaps a website or a newsletter, get-togethers (aka rallies), and whatever else the WBCCI may impose on "clubs."

If you do agree that even WBCCI-sanctioned "club" membership (and all that it imples) may be too much for people with possibly transitory communicative purposes, there is still an option, and this option doesn't require much from the WBCCI: Internet forums like this one (if the software is up to it) permit the formation of special subgroups that one may join or not, leave or stay in, still remain "separate" from the rest, pay no special dues (unless desired), have no officers (unless desired), have no rally requirement (unless desired), and so forth.

Lynn
Old 11-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
lynn, you are so right on what chances forums like these offer to us "cyber people"...
WBCCI "requires" the geographic position in the units name so why not "rest of the world unit" or "planet earth unit", but that might be to progressive for the WBCCI we know and that we are trying to change from the outside. Sure it would be one possebility to join one of the "modern" units like the 4-Corner or the DC Units, but it is more about changing WBCCI into a modern, open and really International Club. BTW can anybody of the WBCCI Executives or Clubmemebers tell me what the I for International stands for?? WBCCI is no international Club - it is all (North-) American, it is not standing for International rallies - because there are no and it can't stand for International Members - because we need to be part of a North-American unit or MAL ( NO VOTE ) ... Why there is no european unit? Well, we discussed it a few months ago, but it is really hard to realise as we are spread all over europe and there are so many restrictions from WBCCI, that makes it no fun to found a new unit... Sadly, WBCCI should name itself WBCC or something else... At least until we get our cyber unit, planet earth unit or which ever name it will have...

Cheers,

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yeah, I think the International in the WBCCI originally came (i) from having members in Canada and Mexico and (ii) from the many trips abroad (and around the world) that the club sponsored. Currently, there are no more members from Mexico, though there are lots and lots of them in Canada.

But times change. My biggest thing is that there are members in Europe, thanks in part to AirstreamEurope Inc and in part to the importation of vintage units to Europe from North America. People means regions and units, geographically defined.

Go for it! (Maybe I could even convince my sister-in-law and her husband in Hamburg to get rid of their SOB and get an Airstream, too!)

Lynn
Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Lynn, try it! The largest Airstream Dealer outside the US or Canada is based in Hamburg... It is Daniel from Airtream4u.com and he is a really nice, helpful and airstream addicted guy. We didn't bought our Airstream from him ( we bought it from a forums member) but we probably never have bought an Airstream with out him! If you need help in conficting them on this side of the pond, give me a call and I will help as much as I can!!

A few month, weeks and days ago a whole nation said "yes, we can" - so that shouldn't be a too big problem, they are only two...

Greets,

BJoern

BTW how far was it to the ski-resorts from your place???

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn View Post
Lynn, try it! The largest Airstream Dealer outside the US or Canada is based in Hamburg... ...
Oh, as usual, there's more going on at that end. Family. Or, more specifically, family-in-law. I can talk to my sister-in-law, but the rest of them think I'm some kind of nut, typisch Amerikanisch im Geschmack, usw.

Quote:
BTW how far was it to the ski-resorts from your place???
Angel Fire Resort is ... about two miles to the base of the main ski run; Taos Ski Valley is about 40 miles from here; Red River is about 35 miles. Perfectly insane people use their RVs to try to go skiing here in the dead of winter. And a perfectly insane campground owner spends many, many hours on his tractor to keep the snow away so that those perfectly insane people can do just that.

Lynn