Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
It looks like there's enough interest in this to get the idea rolling. I think that Janet and jordandvm and others in the Pacific NW were thinking along this line just as I (Jamie), Communicator, Buttercup, and probably others, were talking about it elsewhere. Sounds like there's enough people to start, but there's still some thinking to do and we need to work out next steps.

I'm seeing a few different avenues emerging: One is the creation of a brand new unit based on the ideas put forward, the second is the reorganization of an existing unit (WDCU?) into the WBCCI's cyber unit. Having an existing unit evolve into this might be easier, but it would be up to its membership to make the decision to change to become an international cyber-unit with regions within itself that can hold rallies around the country, and world, and new members would probably want it to change its name to reflect the wider membership rather than "Washington DC Unit". There might also be other structural changes that they would want to think through before they decide to go with it. This could take some time.

Another thing is that units as they exist now must belong to a region, but the cyber unit might overlap many regions, or be divided into regions for the sake of planning rallies. We would have to work out how the cyber-unit fits into the WBCCI organizational framework. Would we really be a cyber-region? Or would it be a sub-club of WBCCI in the way that the VAC is? Or would it really be a cyber-unit?

Maybe the thing to do is to start with the group of people who have expressed interest and we will find a way to start meeting online to work it out. Communicator has received a few private messages from people interested in the cyber-unit. Could others who are interested please send a PM to me (to take the pressure off Communicator whose plate is stacked full right now), and I'll compile the list and work with others to get the online organizational discussion going.

-Jamie

p.s. I hope I'm not moving in on others staked out territory -- don't mean to do that. I'm really just trying to make sure all the balls are rolling in the same direction and falling into the same basket. Look forward to talking with you all.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Along the lines of forming as an IntraClub, there is already a Comuter IntraClub established. Maybe they would like to evolve into the Cyber Unit...

Just another thought...

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I think you should contact WBCCI to start with. You are in for alot of time and paperwork and better get them on your side.
I don't see the WDCU wanting to make a change at this time. It took a lot of work to get where we are now and we are just getting reconized. We're not ready to take on this challange as far as I can see.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Hh

Here, Here Leo. Concur!
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
WDCU already does all of their voting online, has their own Yahoo Group for communications. They currently have rallies from VA to NY. I'm sure that as more members join in New England (there are already WDCU members there) and anywhere else in the country rallies would expand to follow.

I'm actually not sure I understand all the new cyber-unit talk. It looks to me WDCU has been doing that for sometime now. With the entry fee at $1 why would anyone else want to re-invent the wheel. This one's working...
65GT -- WDCU sounds like the model I'm thinking about, but truthfully I don't know a whole lot about how WDCU operates. Maybe Shacksman could give us a little bit more information about how they are set up, and how they communicate. Since it's predominately an eastern U.S. unit now, with rallies held in the east, I'm wondering if it would be possible to expand WDCU simply by having its western U.S. members, midwest U.S. members, and members from other countries, plan and hold rallies in their areas and add them to the schedule, much the way the forum rallies are set up. Is there anything that prevents them from doing that now?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Come to my Central NY rally and fine out

Doug, Jamie,

Come on over to central NY June 1-4 for our WDCU Pageant of Bands rally.

I know Doug (last years President), I (current 3rd Vice), and Colin will be there, as well as our current President Bill Jacobs I believe. We'd love to have anyone in the east coast that is interested. Plus, it'll be a great rally.

I just voted last night electronically. Pretty awesome.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...6-1;&e=139&c=1

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Rob,

Sounds like fun! I'm not sure that attendance at a WBCCI rally is a legitimate excuse for taking kids out of school here in MA . Maybe this would work: Dear Ms. Teacher, please excuse my daughter from class on June 1-2. She will be attending the Pageant of Bands in Norwich, NY -- a musical education experience beyond compare and not available here in the Commonwealth.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

-Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Doug, Jamie,

Come on over to central NY June 1-4 for our WDCU Pageant of Bands rally.

I know Doug (last years President), I (current 3rd Vice), and Colin will be there, as well as our current President Bill Jacobs I believe. We'd love to have anyone in the east coast that is interested. Plus, it'll be a great rally.

I just voted last night electronically. Pretty awesome.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...6-1;&e=139&c=1

Rob
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #78
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
2air - ad hominem is when you engage in assertions such as "you have no clue" - such tactics totally destroy any brainstorming (see book by Charles Clark for example).

It is what you actually say - actual objectively observable behaviors - that convey message. Trying to devine intent and motivation is very difficult under any circumstances and even more so when what is said is not in line with what one says is one's goals.

What strikes me is that "cyber unit" is so nineties, so last century. ;-)

But the real concern is the failure to learn from what has been. That is a first necessary step for any successful organization so as to not repeat past errors. In this case, proponents are sidestepping and rationalizing issues that need to be confronted with in a rigorous manner.

Nearly all of the arguments regarding this 'cyber unit' could equally have applied to an amateur radio unit forty years ago. There were also some lessons learned from that case that are not being considered here from what I see in this thread.

Not only that but some of the elitism, bigotry, and intolerance that has plagued WBCCI in recent years is on both sides of the discussion here. That is intriguing from an OD POV.

What does appear to be the case is that some folks are heavily invested in their views - to the point that a rational analysis of issues is extremely difficult. That also does not bode well for the long term.
You very eloquently make observations about the current behavior of WBCCI. How about helping us out with our situation by sharing some of your expertise in volunteerism? I've read some of your past work on volunteer organizational effectiveness along with your "Bill of Rights" for members of volunteer organizations. We could use some of that expertise right about now.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
How about helping us out with our situation by sharing some of your expertise in volunteerism?
There is an old fable saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

It is also one thing to be an expert and entirely another to have anyone hear what you say. Perceptions of expertise vary too.

In light of the contraints of this media and the people involved, I can only toss out a few things to consider and hope that reasonable people will be responsible in their behavior.

But there are other venues and other times. Patience is needed. I provide the support I can when I see that I can. I will assume you and everyone else does the same because that is where the hope lies.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
65GT -- WDCU sounds like the model I'm thinking about, but truthfully I don't know a whole lot about how WDCU operates. Maybe Shacksman could give us a little bit more information about how they are set up, and how they communicate. Since it's predominately an eastern U.S. unit now, with rallies held in the east, I'm wondering if it would be possible to expand WDCU simply by having its western U.S. members, midwest U.S. members, and members from other countries, plan and hold rallies in their areas and add them to the schedule, much the way the forum rallies are set up. Is there anything that prevents them from doing that now?
Thats exactly right. We have members all over North America because we picked up Members at large. If anyone anywhere wants do set up a rally it's on. Right now the members in the east are more active and the rallies tend to be in their area. We have had rallies North to Canada and South to the Outer Banks and East to New Hampshire. Some are only 10 or 12 strong but they can be fun too, as you get to know everyone. We would like to see rallies in the West or how about Florida in the winter.
We are centered on Washington D.C. for convienience only. You can join from anywhere and keep in touch through the yahoo groups here
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/WBCCI_WDCU/messages or our web page http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/
Our only set rally is the CBR in April to start things off. We are instrumental in planning the Capetown to Cario rally in 2009 if you want to go wild.
We would love to be 900 strong, then we could really influence how the club is run. Come on out to one of our rallies and see why our moto is (It's just Camping)
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #81
_

. , .
so it is 2 years later...

is there some new thinking about a worldwide, online unit?

it's still a good idea and while there are units USING the web

none of them really are virtual at the core...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
MALs are virtual we just haven't unified and thus don't get counted. HRUMPH!!!! It seems you only need a body in presence to be WBCCI worthy. The flesh counts one vote. Now the spirit of Airstreaming and embodiment is at issue. The placement of my skeletal system seems to be the problem as it must be attached to one geographical location which is in direct conflict with Airstreaming.

And as an aside, I still think it borders on contempt to have not counted the members votes from the East whose delegates were priced out of their votes in Bozeman. Was there something like 12 units all on the East coast that had no vote/delegate present???

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #83
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yes, and it would be so easy to set up a cyber unit. I could have it running (roughly) in 30 minutes....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
My wife, Carol and I would be very interested. Also I bet both my kids and their spouses would too. I would like whoever is keeping a list of those interested to add my name.
Ted