Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Meld of concepts!?

Hello all -

Like, actually LOVE the idea of the cyber unit thing. Also really am curious about the 'cyber/mega' unit idea....

Is there a way to meld those 2 concepts into 1. Have the 'mega region' "Cyber" unit(s) be a force for those that are currently cut out of the process. There are plenty of people to draw from, the 365'ers, the MAL's, the 'don't like the local unit' folks, etc....

Seems like there aught to be a way.... I don't see "it" exactly but then I defer to the experts....! Fire away.

My thoughts,

Axel

Old 04-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
a Cyber unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I have been mulling over the "What makes a unit a good unit" issue and have a couple of thoughts....

A good unit has regular communication, rallies, member participation, diversity, encourages new folks to join and carries out the mission of the parent organization. it's members have voice and vote and feel valued.

So... how about a Cyber unit? Forums members are already acting as a WBCCI unit. we plan and hold rallies, we meet regularly (online), heck we vote on polls! We work out our differences, we (many of us) are willing to support the forums with cash...
I don't get it? Sounds as unsatisfying as cyber sex!

I think the real spirit of a good unit are fun caravans & rallies to scenic and interesting places. You need a physical unit for that.

I think Airstreams Forums is the Cyber exchange, a perfect place for everyone to have a voice and exchange opinions and information.

AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Stephanie,
I think we think the same way. We bought the Airstream to camp and we love to camp and I love to be with fellow airstreamers when we camp (not many in our area) But I dont want to have rules, told if I can or can't use party lights, where to park because I'm not an officer, If my awning can be up or down etc. To me all that stuff just takes the fun out of why I bought my Airstream.

Becky
Vote Cyber
Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
How do you know that's unsatisfying? (JUST KIDDING!!!)

Obviously you are very involved in your unit, and I don't know if you are retired or not, but I think this may be more of an issue for those who are not. Since we are not retired, we often cannot make it to far away rallys, or to ones that spread over weekdays (we have discovered that rallys that start during the week are often wrapping up by the weekend so folks can get home and go to church on Sunday, so why bother showing up on Friday), and Caravans are out of the question. The result of this is that we only see the members of our unit a couple times a year.

On the other hand, I am online every day. I chat with my online friends, and write back and forth with them on the forums, and occasionally see them when we have a forum rally. And I have to say, I do everything I can to get to the forum rallys, even if it's just for a day, because they are a blast. And the friends I meet there, who I know from online, are as real as the local AS Unit folks, just I know my online friends better and are more relaxed around them. Also they tend to be closer to my age so we have no end of topics in common to gab about all night.

I don't see any reason why a cyber unit wouldn't work just fine. The members would stay in better touch with each other, and it would be even easier to organize rallys and get-togethers.

And Becky, I agree, sounds like we think just alike. Down with the flag rules!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Please, please, PLEASE do not let young/old, non-retirees/retirees, and so on be defining, segregating descriptions when developing this delightful full-of-potential idea. So much of the past WBCCI "debates" have focused on that, yet as you surely see, you have some "well-seasoned" forum members here who are just as uninvolved in traditional WBCCI unit activities as the younger set, for much the same reasons. Many of us too have the AS for simple travel and camping, enjoy AS folks and AS talk, with NO tolerance for formal meeting junk. Now, if this cyber unit flies, let's come up with open, inclusive language and make no pre-conceived assumptions about older = stodgy! Please don't shut doors in the designing stage, but keep the welcome mat out for all who share these common ideas. THanks for considering this ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
I never said older means stodgy, but older and retired does mean you have different freedom to use your time, and probably different interests, than people who are still working. And lets face it, young or old, if you think flag rules are a necessity to having a good rally, then I WILL have a difference of opinion with you

Our lives revolve around computers, everything we do. It is only natural to make friends, stay in touch, and plan get togethers using the computer. Anyone else who fits that description might find it just as convenient to do things that way.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

cyber unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25

I think the real spirit of a good unit are fun caravans & rallies to scenic and interesting places. You need a physical unit for that.

I think Airstreams Forums is the Cyber exchange, a perfect place for everyone to have a voice and exchange opinions and information.
Cyber Unit

Amen Airstream25! The purpose of an RV group is to get out in your RV preferably in the company of other RVr's. That is why Wally Byam started caravans and that is why WBCCI was formed. Geographically organized units facilitate members getting together. Our Unit was formed specifically because the travel distance to rallies was just too great. There are no restrictions or rules that say you HAVE to join any particular Unit, that you can't join more than one, or that you can't visit other Unit rallies that may be closer or of more interest. My grandparents full timed. They belonged to several Units and visited many others. Wherever they happened to be they met up with other Airstreamers at official rallies as well as impromptu gatherings. They always had a great time and one of the main reasons was because they were physically enjoying a shared experience with other Airstreamers.

It sounds to me in reading through this thread there is contradiction. On the one hand it is sited over and over that people don't attend local Unit activities because they are too far away. Then on the other hand they are excited about a cyber unit that would have rallies all over the country. As Steph says there already are forum rallies and they don't have or need all the infrastructure. The Internet is a tool. It can and is being used to augment and encourage communications, planning, and participation, not only in geographically close Airstream activities but those farther afield from your home base. There are already quite a few Units using at least some web based technologies effectively and more are experimenting successfully all the time. Once again, neither WBCCI , or anybody else has ever done a well designed survey of Units to find out what exactly they are doing, why, and how. Nobody, at least as far as I know, has ever set a realistic standard to evaluate the use and effectiveness of Unit web based functions. The assumption seems to be that there are one or two Units who got it and the rest are still in the dark ages. Pretty sad to decide to create something without a decent evaluation and understanding of what is currently in place. Sounds a lot like the name change issue.

Creating a Cyber Unit is a distraction from the real issues. Why not help established Units become better users of the tools and technologies that are available? Why not look at working together to become more inclusive and diverse instead of creating more splinters? Why not look at what already exists, including forum rallies and see what changes or modifications might make them even more effective? Why not go back to Wally's original idea of getting out and enjoying your Airstream and figure out how encourage that rather than creating a venue that doesn't require you to clean your wheel bearings, fill up the propane tanks, load the frig, and hitch up your rig and get out and enjoy it?

I know all about time constraints. Most of our members are still working and some have kids. Also some have older parents they are caring for. I also know that if a rally of any sort, excites people's interest and fits their expectations most people will do what they can to participate regardless of how busy, how far, or with in reason, what the cost is. You see that right here in this thread. People say for a variety of reasons they aren't interested in local Unit activities but are willing to make an effort to go to a forum or cyber unit rally. If a Unit is open and flexible and willing to work with ALL members, it can create an environment that does encourage participation.

As to MAL's, as has been said before, that is a choice, not a disenfranchisement. Nobody forced people to decide to be MAL's and nobody is preventing them from paying dues and joining a Unit if they want to have more of a voice. Unless they chose not to learn what the benefits and restrictions of being a MAL were before they made the decision, they knew the limitations including not having a vote.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Xenia , Ohio
Quote:
I think we think the same way. We bought the Airstream to camp and we love to camp and I love to be with fellow airstreamers when we camp (not many in our area) But I dont want to have rules, told if I can or can't use party lights, where to park because I'm not an officer, If my awning can be up or down etc. To me all that stuff just takes the fun out of why I bought my Airstream.
They've got to be kidding! If a person's idea of fun is living under authoritarian rules, might I suggest a caravan to North Korea?

On the plus side, members do get to wear a cool blue beani
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I never said older means stodgy, but older and retired does mean you have different freedom to use your time, and probably different interests, than people who are still working. And lets face it, young or old, if you think flag rules are a necessity to having a good rally, then I WILL have a difference of opinion with you

Our lives revolve around computers, everything we do. It is only natural to make friends, stay in touch, and plan get togethers using the computer. Anyone else who fits that description might find it just as convenient to do things that way.
I have seen several posts in which the poster is upset with the flag rules, what rules are the problem? Is it showing respect for and proper display of the flag or something else? We plan on flying four flags this year in Salem, the American flag, the California flag, we live in Calif, our unit is from Calif and I am a native, an Oregon Flag, the international is in Oregon and my wife is an Oregon native, and a Vintage Airstream Flag.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 PM   #38

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBreeze
Creating a Cyber Unit is a distraction from the real issues. Why not help established Units become better users of the tools and technologies that are available? Why not look at working together to become more inclusive and diverse instead of creating more splinters?
I don't see why you think this is a devisive idea. The only way it could be divisive is if people weren't included. Anyone can be included, regardless of where they live. Existing units are happy with things the way they are. None of the older folks in our unit come here to the forums, they don't get the news about things like the MHs being discontinued until it hits the Blue Beret. If you email them, 90% never respond, and others respond with several days lag time. We had a unit webpage for a year before most of them knew about it, despite it being brought up repeatedly. A lot of the older folks just aren't very techno saavy and don't want to be. If there are people who are, and they want to form a unit, why is that a threat to anyone?

And it's not a way to avoid getting out and camping, it's a better way to stay in touch with the people you will be camping with.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Existing units are happy with things the way they are.
How do you know that? Are you saying that about a specific Unit or all units? Can you speak for all units?

Quote:
None of the older folks in our unit come here to the forums, they don't get the news about things like the MHs being discontinued until it hits the Blue Beret. If you email them, 90% never respond, and others respond with several days lag time. We had a unit webpage for a year before most of them knew about it, despite it being brought up repeatedly. A lot of the older folks just aren't very techno saavy and don't want to be.
This is lumping everyone in the same group and that is not fair to a growing number of "older folks" who are techo saavy and do use the internet.

Quote:
If there are people who are, and they want to form a unit, why is that a threat to anyone? And it's not a way to avoid getting out and camping, it's a better way to stay in touch with the people you will be camping with.
You are extrapolating from what I said. I didn't say anything about a threat. If another Unit wants or needs to be formed, fine. I do realize that a proposed cyber unit would hold rallies. My point is still, what really is the reason and the need to form such a unit. Why not find out what is already in place and expand on that. Is it because it is too much trouble to work with or around the old guard and the established system. Too much trouble to find out what Units are doing already. Easier just to take off on something new.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #40
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Sounds great, I'd be tempted to join a cyber unit

Kudos Janet and all who wrote in this thread. I really enjoy reading about the WBCCI, though have been reluctant to join for reasons stated in other threads. I think this idea is very appealing and would be something I would seriously consider. In other words, this sort of unit would get another member (family) into the WBCCI.

Hoping to hear more.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Okay...so what am I missing?

Quote:
<snip> I am online every day. I chat with my online friends, and write back and forth with them on the forums, and occasionally see them when we have a forum rally. And I have to say, I do everything I can to get to the forum rallys, even if it's just for a day, because they are a blast. And the friends I meet there, who I know from online, are as real as the local AS Unit folks, just I know my online friends better and are more relaxed around them. Also they tend to be closer to my age so we have no end of topics in common to gab about all night.

I don't see any reason why a cyber unit wouldn't work just fine. The members would stay in better touch with each other, and it would be even easier to organize rallys and get-togethers.
My comment here is not directed solely at you Steph, but your post made me start thinking...if what you and others do here on the forum, is satisfying your Airstream camaraderie need ~ what is the draw to starting a cyber-unit of the WBCCI? Why would you want to be a part of a club that you state that you don't have anything in common with? Why not just keep on doing what you do with the forum & it's rallies?

I am not against starting new Units, cyber or otherwise...I'm just curious ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Really heated

This is the first time I have ever been in such a heated conversation. Yes I'm fairly new to Airstreams but this is the way I see it and anybody can shoot me down on this reply but it is the way I feel. First I think what would Wally do and then I think about all the books I have read on him and Airstream and this is my conclusion: Wally and Airstream have always been ahead of time and as I think about it I believe if Wally was still alive it would have been already in place a cyber unit so he could post to all what a wonderful time they were having in some other country. This is 2006 gas is almost over $3 a gallon and most folks are working every day just to make ends meet. I cant just drop everything and go to Ohio for a rally it's time to move into the future the cyber space so most folks can enjoy the full benefits of the WBCCI.

That's it and that's my Idea,
Becky