Old 04-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I was all set to join the WDCU until I happened on these really strange NEU people at a forum rally in VT. Then met even stranger ones at a later rally. For Yankee's they are almost friendly... .

One would expect that with all the standing committees unit have that there would be an internet portal ect. committee. Some regions don't have any events posted online expect for luncheons. While International has contests for member booklets and posters (I think that's like a school teacher does but I'm not sure), no standards, guidelines, or contest are evident for online sites or activity.

I wonder what local unit has the fewest active members.....

Old 04-24-2006, 07:40 PM   #16
_

. , .
hi janet and other free thinkers......

1'm also a member at large......

the idea of unit for mal folks that
-conducts all business online and
-has 1-3 'rallies' each year it wide ranging locations,
-also a buddy rally or 2 each year....for potential members...
-does meeting online/in a chat room
-conducts voting via email or snailmail
-has a 'virtual initiation process'
-has officers and all the other crap required
-could even do some 'pomp stuff' on line...

something like this wouldn't really be an a/s forum unit specifically but a real wally unit designed for the present time....wdcu may be close to this but not fully.

folks who full time or travel lots or aren't close to a useful unit....and so on, might be potential members....
clearly lots of forum users might seek this unit out too.

i don't see this as an intraclub but a genuine 'virtual unit' which could or would need to do most of the stuff all units do...so this isn't so much about rebels who want a 'new wbcci' but a real unit for a virtual geographic space...

so they would still be the issues of doing the work of all units and so on....

but such a unit might also help the wb move into a new century and new demographic....certainly the operating costs would be real but small. dues could start at the same rate as most land based units and go down as membership grows and so on....

perhaps andyr could host the web site for this unit and we could have a regular chat time (instead of luncheons) that only members could log into....really most unit processes could be done online....

i'd join tomorrow.......
so who wants to work on approval and the unit start up process......
i would help with that now too.
ideally it would be nice to have some folks who are currently active in regular units lead the process....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I was talking to another member about that very subject a couple of days ago.
At the moment I am not sure where I will be working. It may be out of the area for my "home" unit.
What do we have to do to get this rolling?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Great thinking comes from....

I won't mention WHERE Janet got this idea..... but I will say that I think this idea has great merit. I'm really too far from any "local" unit to be a part of, but I DO check in here almost religiously (well, actually, MORE than every Sunday!). Would we need a separate forum category for "official" stuff - separating the forums from our official business? Or - would we need our own web forums for this to work?
Marc
Old 04-24-2006, 08:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
As the past president of WDCU and I am from Canada, I'am offering all members at large a chance to vote on the Wally name. Check out our site at
http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/ and contact the memberhip chairman, Star Grover, to transfer from member at large to full voting member with us.
Rememer you have to be a full member to vote in WBCCI. You will save money and not have to do anything more then now.
We are open to having rallys anywhere in U.S. or Canada. Our first of the year is the Cherry Blossom in Washington D.C. area.
We have many members with vintage trailers and lots of brand new. All are welcome with us.
If the forums unit comes into being you can transfer to them but you can vote now with us.
Doug Rowbottom
WBCCI #3327
Old 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Great Idea

This sounds great. We had debated on joining a group, but after I spoke with the local president (90 miles away) and he explained they were all granparents and nicely explained not many children. I took his hint and did not join. But I would be glad to join a cyber unit and think it is the greatest idea.

Becky
Old 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I too see this as a virtual unit: the unit we would want to belong to. I don't do luncheons often with my closest friends, and I much prefer a chat meeting on line to getting out at rush lunch or dinner hour for a meeting! I like the whole idea of this. I'm already "acquainted" with this forum community and I know we have good rallies all around the country with forum folks. Connect this to WBCCI and you've connected all the dots for us. Hope it flies. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
I spoke with the local president (90 miles away) and he explained they were all granparents and nicely explained not many children. I took his hint and did not join.
That has to be the most awful thing I've ever heard! I can't believe someone would tell you that!

So to be a cyber unit, we could just join the WDCU for $1 and let them do the work they're already doing, and then get them to 'sponsor' forum rallys, which would otherwise function the same way they always have? With guests and non-members and tin hats and everything? Sounds good to me. I hate reinventing the wheel.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:55 PM   #23
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Heck - joining the WDCU is a deal in the first place. Several of us SaveWally folds have mulled over a cyber unit and I have reviewed the Blue Book on this. I can't see any real reason this couldn't be done. Only stumbling block seems to be structuring officer positions and writing a constitution that covers the unusual operations for a cyber club. WDCU has an operating base but has done a wonderful job of expanding beyond that and will surely be one of the fastest growing units in the org.

I will say that I will donate the server space and domain name registration to a cyber unit if needed and/or will be happy to extend myself towards building that infrastructure if there is indeed enough interest in having a cyber unit built.

Until that time every member who is a MAL should seriously consider joining the WDCU if not for having the voting privileges then for being included in the overall experience of being a WBCCI member.

WBCCI's structure is needlessly exclusive of these members and is another example of why a modernization to infrastructure is what will help revive the club.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
My idea of a cyber unit would be more along the lines of what we already do on the fourm, plan opportunities to get together. I don't care about voting, rules, officers, constitutions and bylaws, any of that stuff that gets in the way of the real purpose of the club. I just want to make contact with other Airstreamers and go camping.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #25
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I don't either but the WBCCI does spell out what constitutes a unit and it does have to have some infrastructure in these areas. It does have to have officers and a constitution, etc... It is an annoyance but a requirement for any unit to exist.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
That's the sort of thing that makes me think I'm just not cut out for the WBCCI - anything that adds a layer of 'annoyance' to my fun time is something I'd like to avoid at all costs.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Count my electronic vote in favor..

Stef and Janet-

Another willing supporter, down in Silicon Valley where local Unit is of the mature nature...

I actually traded messages a while back with Cindy Reed of WBCCI HQ (she occasionally lurks here...) and she'd indicated that a Unit could be formed with 10 members in a Region, so long as minimal formalities followed. I suspect Region 12 would be OK with concept, but would like to toss up notion of mega-region Cyber Units, rather than one single national unit. Whether New England, So-Cal or Nor-Cal, Northwest, or mid-America, there are certain geographies that would have more in common than a national Unit, and higher probability of actually getting together for some rallies..

I'd be supporter either way, and continue to look forward to a Unit website, posted schedules, and e-mailed newsletters.. I think there'd be a common theme among these cyber units leaning towards younger members with families, more flexible approaches to rally schedules and activities, and perhaps a return of some of the national event-based rallies at lower levels of organization and effort.

Will stay tuned with interest...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #28
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Well that is the beauty of a unit like WDCU, catering if you will to the MAL. Nobody has to get involved in all the stuff but it is encouraged when necessary (if you know what I mean). The point is that everybody contributes where and how they can. Not everybody has to do the politics thing.

If a cyber unit could provide a way of ending the WBCCI disenfranchisement of MALs I say go forward and do it. WDCU already has the infrastructure in place. MALs can join and know they have not only a voice but a home as well.

Don't let politics dissuade you from being a part of the group. There is a way you can contribute to the WBCCI in the area of voting by casting a vote in the first place. MALs don't have that luxury but they should because they are part of the group.