Old 07-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
WBCCI Caravan Interest?

Okay, specifically for those still working....If short caravans were available to you would you participate?

What length?
(1) 3-4 day weekend, (2) 5-7 day week, (3) 10-14 day two week?

School vacation week caravan in April or other spring time schedule?

Have you ever been on a caravan?

Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Count me in as well

We would pretty much do any of the above.

By this I mean that our family would be willing to take 1-2 weeks to pal around with our AS chums.

Problem is that the WBCCI sponsored caravans are generally 4-6 weeks long and are for retired folks. We definitely could use some 'working family' type of caravans.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Right now we are in the plop and stay mode. It's nice to be able to put out the awning and carpet. Set up the chairs and grill. Hang the flags and lights. And, don't forget the ever important satellite dish.
If we had to move every day, a suitcase, a car, and motels would be the way to go.
Tom
Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
We would pretty much do any of the above.

By this I mean that our family would be willing to take 1-2 weeks to pal around with our AS chums.

Problem is that the WBCCI sponsored caravans are generally 4-6 weeks long and are for retired folks. We definitely could use some 'working family' type of caravans.
We are certified as caravan leaders and have been running smaller, shorter, Unit caravans. These are un-numbered and less structured. It has been alot of fun and I am working to develop some more shorter ones.

Not a problem, but definitely an opportunity to look at things in a new way with new opportunities. I am sort of testing the waters to see what the interest is.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I have never been on a WBCCI caravan and yes if it were for any of those three shorter periods I would like us to try one depending on the points of interest and destinations or activities.

Note the WBCCI.org site on the caravan report of the July 5th Standing Committee Reports (International tab) also posted as .pdf here

To sum it up, the emphasis is on how long they are and therefore a better value at half the cost of commercial caravans that see more and do more quickly in 30 days time. There is still no mention of making shorter caravans to accommodate members with 2-4 weeks vacation but rather revel in their long durations and ability to move slowly for the retired. Last line states, "if you want a quick guided tour go commercial."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 070507.pdf (1.07 MB, 40 views)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
Right now we are in the plop and stay mode. It's nice to be able to put out the awning and carpet. Set up the chairs and grill. Hang the flags and lights. And, don't forget the ever important satellite dish.
If we had to move every day, a suitcase, a car, and motels would be the way to go.
Tom
That's the nice thing about those long caravans...you get to move every couple of days and "plop & play" in between. But you're right, for alot of working folks they are impractical.

The DenCO Unit has had a couple of short caravans with 3 or 4 stops. They start on a Thursday evening with a rally through Sunday Then go 1 or two places mid-week - with the arrival on at the final spot being the next Thusday so Unit members can join in for the rally the second weekend. It seems to work, can't go too far...but some join both the weekend rallies or just one.

There is the longer version too, same idea over two weeks/three weekends with "rallies" on the two weekends on either end - gives you more range/stops.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Great info

Thanks for the great info. I am researching right now and wondering why we can't have another subcategory of numbered caravans that would be specifically for the shorter runs. I really like this idea and wonder about the interest if it were available.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
I really like this idea and wonder about the interest if it were available.
I think the interest would pretty much be local...if not, you gotta add 2-4 days travel to get to the start point of the short caravan which kinda defeats the purpose for working people.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Orange city , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SLVRSRFR
I could do 10 day to 2 week caravan. Any of them going to be in the area? Im stuck in hot n' humid Florida... If so when? Any one reading this thread from FL? We can start our own.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Reliability Cruises

Our car club uses an old timey name for our weekend jaunts - we call them reliability runs. In days gone by it was to prove that whatever hot rod or custom you had built was up to traveling some distance with varying road conditions without major issues. We use the name but our cars are about as reliable as most new cars (I know in some instances that's not saying much). We head out Friday night and drive for a few hours, hitting small towns along the way. Folks love it and when a cruise is being set up the couple doing the scouting tell the locals that we'll be through their town and the date and approximate time. Folks line up along the streets, on their driveways along the highway, and drink coffee (nothing stronger I'm sure ) and wave at the cars as they go past.

We drive two to three hours Friday evening, then have a nice meal and bed down for the night although if there's a particular place where the local gather with their old cars we'll go and check it out, meet the folks, and hang out for a while. Saturday up for an early but leisurely breakfast, then back on the road, again through the small towns. With CB's buzzing we pull off for garage sales, neat stores in small towns, and then to a park or restaurant for lunch. An afternoon of leisurely cruising, pull off the road by 4 and relax Saturday evening - typically we shoot for a larger town so there's more to do that evening and again there's almost always some burger or coffee joint where the local folks gather with their cars so we'll pull in and meet some very nice people. Sunday again is a leisurely breakfast (some head to church) and then finish the circle tour home. Over the weekend we'll typically put 250 to 350 miles and we have a wonderful time. We meet great people, see some wonderful country, and it's not onerous on anyone.

So far we've done this sans trailers, staying in motels and picking up picnic lunches at the breakfast cafe or sandwich shop etc, but I can see us moving to at least one if not two trips a year with the trailers in tow. It is easy to do with the only real work being the couple who go out and do the trip first to set up the motels (now it would be campgrounds and motels if anyone is not into towing their trailer or don't have one) and letting the folks know along the way that we are coming through. If you tell the restaurant and the gas station folks they will make sure pretty much everyone in town and the surrounding area is aware and even the local weekly newspapers come out to get a story. By default these are very regional in nature. In our case when we do start to do this with the trailers those who would prefer to just travel untethered for a change can motel it and come out to the campground for the evening gathering around the campfire.

In most of these small towns there are municipal campgrounds and they are delighted to have us stay. The advantage to these is they are generally right in town, are neat and often an oasis compared to some of the "campgrounds", you can walk anywhere in town to shop and get a feel for the place. The trips are almost like taking the family out for a Sunday drive of the old days.

I'm not sure if this concept would work for others but for us it's great. There's usually a dozen to fifteen cars and I suspect we'd add a couple more if we do it with the trailers as there are some who go camping the weekends we do these treks because they do not like motels.

The bonding that happens, the chance to see some gorgeous country, meet nice people, and it's really inexpensive all add up to a great way to spend a weekend or two. Long weekends are even better, whether they are official long weekends or if you "make" one. And now with the trailers as part of the equation we will likely do just that. We also have T-shirts made up to commemorate the trip and they are highly prized within the group. In the old days you got a badge for your jacket.

One other benefit are the folks who come around and mention that they know where there's a fellow with a "bunch of old cars" just back over there, or they have a .......in their garage they'd like to get rid of, do we know anyone who's interested. I can see by adding the trailers to the equation we could start to get those kinds of leads as well.

I'm sure from what I've noted above you know I'm all for mini gatherings whether it's for a weekend or four days or a week. If there's kids involved the format would need to change somewhat, but not a lot. We hit a lot of points of interest and get tours of buildings and places most folks wouldn't so it is very educational (but don't tell the kids that).
Barry
Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I am in nw florida hot here too...

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #12
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I think the interest would pretty much be local...if not, you gotta add 2-4 days travel to get to the start point of the short caravan which kinda defeats the purpose for working people.

Shari
That's right.

If Units or Regions could offer shorter duration, localized, caravans and have a mix of un-numbered and numbered that would be a new opportunity for working members and families. I am thinking that perhaps there could be localized caravan leader training for that level and let them run the short caravans. It would be so great to be able to participate and list the numbered caravan on our 'resumes'.

Don't know if this could happen, but, it's a thought.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Pam:

Great idea!

We have another ten years of working and can only take two weeks at a time. We did the Ores, Shores, Lights caravan in the Michigan UP last year which was 17 days. We had to leave early (after 14 days). It was a great time.

We cannot do any of the existing caravans because they are structured for the retired since they are so long.

Short caravans is a way to enhance the club by offering an activity that would get more members involved. We need activities that will help broaden the club; this way it will grow.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Pam,

If you are looking for participation from middle aged parents with families, here are a frew hints.

Sept. through Dec. are full. College activities, including football / band / color guard have every weekend booked.

Highschool activities have football, band, color guard activites bookes from the last of August through Dec.

June through the middle of August is vacation time.

That leave...0105 through 0601 for Airstream time if you have kids.