Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Okay, specifically for those still working....If short caravans were available to you would you participate?

What length?
(1) 3-4 day weekend, (2) 5-7 day week, (3) 10-14 day two week?

School vacation week caravan in April or other spring time schedule?

Have you ever been on a caravan?
I find the idea of shorter caravans very appealing. Even though I will be retiring in about two weeks, 10-14 days would probably be the maximum time we would spend. The wife and I tend to like to wander around on our own. After looking at the duration and cost of some of the caravans listed on the WBCCI site, I really think the proposal mentioned by 65GT to amend the club Bylaws and Policies to shorten the required days/nights is a great idea to encourage working families to participate.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #16
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I like the idea

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Metro New York does an annual 8-night caravan. It starts on a Saturday morning and returns the following Sunday. For the working member it requires a one week vacation to pull off.

Because we feel this is about the maximum you can expect from a working family, we passed a proposed Bylaws and Policy amendment at our Spring business meeting for the Delegates to instruct the IBT to reduce the Unit Numbered Caravan requirements from 10 nights minimum down to 8 nights minimum and scale all other requirements back proportionally including the minimum number of units attending seeing as WBCCI has reduced its minimum unit requirements to hold and maintain a unit charter.

That proposed Bylaws and Policy amendment will be winding it's way through Region 2 this fall and next summer we hope the delegates will address the issue in Bozeman.

Why should working families be excluded from participating and being recognized for their participation in the holy grail of the WBCCI -- numbered caravans? This amendment, if passed, gives working families membership's added value.

If anyone wants to see a write-up of our '06 Unit Caravan it's here:

http://wbcci.metro.ny.googlepages.co...CCICaravan.pdf

__
Nice write up 65GT! An eight day caravan is a great idea for us working folks. Thanks for pulling this together -- we will all benefit from this in the long run.

IMHO, the 3-4 day caravan could be a challenge to be able to relax and do anything as most of the time would be spent traveling instead of enjoying the sights, etc. then it would be over before you know it! I personally prefer to stay put for 2-3 days before moving on in order to see/visit the local area.

Two week or 10-day caravans are already sanctioned by the WBCCI. If I remember correctly, the caravan guidelines indicate a caravan must be a minimum of 10 rigs which caravan for a minimum of 10 days with a minimum of 5 stops.

In the NEU, our members have done both numbered caravans spanning multiple weeks and shorter unnumbered one-week or less caravans. A unit can already plan an unnumbered caravan of any duration with any number of rigs as often as they like. Typically we plan the unnumbered caravans to get to and from a rally or other event.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Great lets see what we can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Actually it resulted from comments from the MetroNY Caravan Chairman. Somebody asked about numbered caravans and it was revealed that he had inquired about a change for two years running.

I drew up a proposed amendment and consulted with the International Caravan Chairman. He asked us to hold off because they were going to review the whole process this year in Perry. This indicated to me that they might be changing it and our amendment wouldn't be necessary.

Well we decided we shouldn't wait another year, so we drew it, and passed it, but we didn't send it forward until we got the results from the Caravan Committee. Guess what? No change is coming so we basically wasted another half year per a request. The amendment is now on its way to Region 2. If you folks would like to submit it through Region 1 (it can't hurt) I'd be happy to email it to you.

__
Send me the email. I have a meeting scheduled at the Region One rally in Vermont to discuss ideas and the future of caravanning. I have also been chatting with Bob Bennett and he has provided a lot of information since the start of the thread. I just need to get up to speed and update my handbook from when I took the caravan leader class.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #19
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
More information

I was directed to a website about WBCCI Caravans, that I admit, I didn't even know about....

More edification at WBCCI Caravans - Fun, Fellowship, Adventure
Old 07-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
I was directed to a website about WBCCI Caravans, that I admit, I didn't even know about....

More edification at WBCCI Caravans - Fun, Fellowship, Adventure
I have seen that site...it is a good one and it also contains a copy of the WBCCI caravan handbook!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I apologize if hijacking this thread but Leo, I agree eight day numbered caravans are a great idea. I am interested in how we might get this issue raised in our little Region 3. Perhaps more retirees than working people in R3? Still, it is about the Club. I'm for it. Count me in. Well, I don't amount to much but every person willing to work for an idea counts.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote