View Poll Results: WBCCI: Caravan or Camping?
WBCCI is predominately a club to caravan to distant destinations. 10 18.87%
WBCCI is a club to camp and rally with unit and region friends. 43 81.13%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
WBCCI: camping or caravanning?

I have heard WBCCI referred to as either a camping club or a caravan club. I have no doubt Wally started the club for caravanning but I wonder how Airstreamers today view the club or how they prefer to use their Airstreams.

I thought I would make a poll since WBCCI is getting so much attention these days and find out what it means to you. This is in the spirit of introducing dialog so no need to be concerned about accurate results or member only restrictions. It's a matter of curiosity and if you care to include with your comments whether you are or are not a member that is all good too.

What spins your wheels?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I can't give an answer because the poll doesn't give you the option of saying that it's both!

Lynn

Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Does your unit have a particular preference towards rallying or traveling?

Do you use your vacation to rally? Would you use your vacation to caravan?

How many of you have had an unofficial caravan and how long was it and what was or were the destinations? Was it self-pay or kitty fee?

Feel free to add your own comments and questions of others.

I am more interested in individuals responses than of a quote unquote "winner" of one option over the other. I'd like this to be interactive and leading.

photography
Old 12-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I can't give an answer because the poll doesn't give you the option of saying that it's both!

Lynn
Even better still, can I snare you into giving a comment instead of ticking a box. Caught you! I would rather hear what you have to say than to limit it to your this or that.

photography
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I'd do either one. Currently, we stick to rallies in the southwest region, primarily as a practical matter of time. However, once we're more able to, I wouldn't mind doing a caravan. (Indeed, we've tossed around the idea of proposing a semi-educational one about the Navajo and the various Pueblo Indians, complete with lectures and little tests. Ha!)

Lynn
Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
We do both.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
I won't vote, because we've enjoyed both types of activities within the club: Rallies and Caravans. Clearly the club was founded on Caravans and clearly most current events by number are Rallies, so one could draw conclusions from that.

I'll just say that we enjoy any activity that gets us out doing something new, so while Unit Rallies are great, it's the Special Event and National Rallies and Caravans that are even more interesting to us. We sign up for the ones that get us doing something we've never done before. I think that is in the original spirit upon which WBCCI was formed - getting out and seeing something new.

On the topic of Special Event Rallies, it seem like a lot of these have gone away, so there are less choices than in years past. I encourage every member to take advantage of the ones that still exist and may yet be created (e.g. the new Pocono NASCAR Rally). If you have a good idea for one, how about planning one of your own?

On the topic of caravans, we wish there were more opportunities for short caravans, so that more members could partake. It's tough, but we've fit in two 2 to 2.5 week long National Caravans so far as working members. Longer is not an option for us at this time, but some day we'd like to try some of the longer ones to more exotic places. It seems like there are very few Region and Unit Caravans these days and most are strictly to meander to the International Rally. Adding on time at International and those too are out of reach time commitment wise for most working members.

We were strong proponents of the defeated motion least year to reduce the number of nights and participants to get a Unit Caravan recognized with an offical number. That may have spurred the creation of a few more short caravan opportunities to the benefit of all members, but for some reason our International Leadership apparently did not think that encouraging Unit Cravans was a good idea (even though this motion had been passed by two Regions and over two dozen Units before it was presented to the IBT) and they voted to not send it to the full membership for a fair vote. Too Bad - just one more short sighted decision . . .

OK, I guess I'll stop on specifics there. I think the reason many of us members stay in WBCCI and fight for much needed (in our eyes) changes is that there are too many good times to be had at the great variety of club events to let the financial issues and other concerns at the International level drive us out of the club.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The WBCCI is a camping club for me, but in the future I can see a caravan or two.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
While the WBCCI appears to put quite an emphasis on caravanning, my best experiences with the club have been camping and rallying. Probably a character flaw, but I have a hard time following a plan or schedule when traveling because I tend to wander off course. So, from my (limited) experience caravanning, it seems to be more about the destination. With camping/rallying, because we tend to leave early and get home late, it's more about the journey. If I had to choose... camping.
Or simply... Airstreaming.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
We’ve been Airstreaming for five seasons and enjoyed national, regional and unit rallies, caravans and also going out on our own. I never thought of this as “Just Camping.” I did that years ago in tents and sleeping bags. Now I like the term: “Travel well.”
For me, an important aspect besides meeting others with similar interest is traveling to various regions of the U.S. and Canada, and getting first hand and personal exposure to all the diversity there are in these great lands. The State Parks, National Parks, and COE sites are another great resource we enjoy. I doubt we would have done as much without the organizations and companionship of other WBCCI members.

People who only expose themselves to what is offered on TV, the movies, magazines, etc. don’t realize what else is out there to enjoy. That’s alright, but they’re limited to what someone else packages and presents as a product of entertainment or edutainment
Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
The Wally Byam Creed

I prefer to caravan. Now caravanning is not just traveling to distant places. In fact, caravanning in Europe is what many in this country call camping.

The simple fact is that Wally Byam understood that if you did what everyone else does you would become ordinary. He didn't want Airstream to be ordinary. And possibly without realizing it, thousands of people have bought Airstreams and paid a premium price so that they could be special.

I think that attracting people that want to set themselves apart from the crowd is a great advantage enjoyed by those that belong to the WBCCI. This creates an atmosphere whereby interesting people have an opportunity to meet others that share their desires and interests.

Reading Wally's own words may be clearer than anything that I could say.

The Wally Byam Creed states:
To place the great wide world at your doorstep for you who yearn to travel with all the comforts of home.
To provide a more satisfying, meaningful way of travel that offers complete travel independence, wherever and whenever you choose to go or stay.
To keep alive and make real an enduring promise of high adventure and faraway land...of rediscovering old places and new interests.
To open a whole world of new experiences...a new dimension in enjoyment where travel adventure and good fellowship are your constant companions.
To encourage clubs and rallies that provide an endless source of friendships, travel fun and personal expressions.
To lead caravans wherever the four winds blow...over twinkling boulevards, across trackless deserts...to the traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.
To play some part in promoting international goodwill and understanding among the peoples of the world through person-to-person contact.
To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow a rainbow to its end...and thus make your travel dreams come true.

Notice that Wally never used the word camping once, yet he is clearly describing that experience. He intended for those that appreciated Airstreams to be special people. I think we are.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have only experienced 1 or 2 short caravans. Getting out and camping in our Airstream is what we enjoy most. Whether its with our unit or just getting out on our on this is what we enjoy. I prefer the rustic locations over the paved asphalt jungle rv parks. Each year we take a 3 month trip with the Airstream and enjoy every minute of it. We have not found anyone to travel with so most of the time we are alone. So far we have covered 37 States.

We have looked at some of the Caravans and they are a little pricey for us and I'm sure for a lot of other folks also. I'm not saying they (Caravans) are priced because they are not, its just a lot of folks don't have a lot of extra money to turn loose of.

Get topic Carol.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Getting out and camping in our Airstream is what we enjoy most. I prefer the rustic locations over the paved asphalt jungle rv parks.
This is what floats our boat too. We don't consider rallies in a field or fair grounds "camping".

We want trees, rocks, the sound of nature, the sound of water, and enjoy a good bike, or hiking trail.

We are fairly independent but make a point of introducing ourselves to other Airstreamers we run across in the parks (mostly Provincial or State).

Sharing a campfire with new found friends is a real treat.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Carol,

We can't vote either as we currently see it as a camping group but also intend to give the caravaning side of it a shot when Donna retires. To us WBCCI encompasses both sides of it. If we had to pick one it would have to be camping for now as I think more members are campers but .....

Barry