Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #281
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
What is still a huge question mark for me all along is what will happen if the plaintiff(s) win? A third party is appointed to go through the WBCCI bylaws and financials and rectify things? IBT is disbanded and a new body is organized? Etc. etc. etc.
This barracks lawyer will say on my own behalf that this action was never intended to be a coup, revolution, insurrection, or to force the Club into a court appointed trusteeship. It was conceived as a means to regain the membership's lost influence into the direction of the Club through a series of bylaw changes by the Leadership that has promoted secret trials, closed elections, financial irresponsibility, and in general taxation without representation.

The last time around my family were Loyalist, having received a land grant form the king, and fled to Canada. This time I decided to stick around. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
A Unit meeting was held a short while ago, two votes were taken.

1. Metro New York will be the principle plaintiff in the lawsuit.

This was decided as a last ditch effort to save the WBCCI from it's own self destruction.

2. Metro NY voted to contribute $2,000 from its treasury to commence the lawsuit ASAP.

This amount plus the current pledges allows us to begin the suit.

Wow. That's a huge step, and an enormous vote of support for this issue. It's not just individuals any more, and that will not go unnoticed.

We do support change in the WBCCI and wish y'all luck in getting it where it needs to be. We will also continue to do what we can from our little corner of the world.

Doug & Maggie
Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #283
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Smile GENE, yOU HAVE IT ALL WRONG

WBCCI is an organization made up of all walks of life. In Our club are many, many religions and they are practiced at rallies and other events. The fact that the individuals involved don't publish banner headlines of their activities. is not the concern of others except those who wish to support their actions. We have Blacks (the term used on the 2010 Census Form) in some of our units and many are good friends of mine. And yes, there are Gays (sorry, am ot up on the latest term) in several units that I know of and that is fine with me. All of theses people are good friends of mine and have been activite in the unit and Region levels. I was ounce bad mouthed by a woman (at the International level because I did not understand what "deversity" ment - Well she was wrong!! When I was Region 1 President, we talked the talk AND WALKED THE WALK!!

Region 1 Units have learned flexability and those units live in modern times if not in the future. They have young vibirant members that have fun and fellowship no matter your color or regelion or gender prefference.

SO HOW ABOUT GETTING YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU POST ERRORS!!!
Bob T

BTW, Remember Virigina, you heard it from me. Told you change was coming!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #284
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The truth is, there are very few professed Christians who actually practice Christianity. The WBCCI leadership do not sound as if they fall into this category. Simply pasting on a label does not a Christian organization make.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #285
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
When did religion become a part of this thread....and more importantly, why and what purpose does it serve.....
Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I believe it was the editor of the BB in the last issue that has chosen the letters from readers and his response that has currently brought this issue to the fore. I was wondering after reading it who the editor is. It was not signed with a name only "editor."

I have been at rallies where prayer is offered as well as the pledge of alliegence to the flag of the United States, while both are customary at all of the Region and International rallies and some Unit rallies and meetings I think to have addressed the letters this time about religion and previously on flag ceremonies, the editor could have done a much better job in discussion.

I agree that this is but another opportunity where the WBCCI has demonstrated it's resistence to change and ability to widen out from its customs without as much as revisiting the concerns brought up anew. Basically their MO is "case closed," and usually not expressed in a particularly persuasive or well delivered manner, imo.

The club is definitely stuck in the past and the leadership chastises members and flaunts their right to have it so. The entitlement attitude and singlemindedness of the collective executive committee and its decisions might just as well be best represented by the phrase, "Because we said so."

photography
Old 05-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #287
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
When did religion become a part of this thread....and more importantly, why and what purpose does it serve.....
I think that anything that pertains to WBCCI leadership, what they are and are not, is relevant at this highly deteriorated point in time. And, it was not an invitation to debate, just an observation. Not tryin' to pick a fight.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #288
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
This thread is not here as a format to discussion of religion any more than several other topics contained in the tread are presented for debate. The mention of financial mismanagement is not meant to be a discussion of accounting 101, the continuance of closed elections are not meant to be a discussion on civics, nor are the secrete grievance trials meant to be a discussion in due process. The letter in question was sited here as just one more illustration of how out of touch the current Leadership is with the 21st century.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #289
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I'm happy to report that Gail and Leo stopped by briefly at Metro NY's buddy rally this morning to thank and acknowledge our/his units support of their position.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #290
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob280 View Post

SO HOW ABOUT GETTING YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU POST ERRORS!!!
Bob T
I'm glad to hear your region lives in the present.

As I understand it this thread encompasses the concept of reform. So, after reading another thread which referred to the Blue Beret and then looking at that newsletter, I saw the letter to the editor and the editor's answer which clearly implied that the WBCCI was Christian oriented. Since the BB represents the views of the leadership, it is a reasonable assumption the leadership agrees with this approach.

This would seem to me to be an area where reform is necessary.

Anyone who reads threads about the WBCCI can see that many units do not agree with the leadership and are much more in the present. Nonetheless, other units appear to be in confluence with the leadership in some matters, perhaps most especially in a certain type of culture which reflects a long ago past.

At one time this country was more uniformly Protestant and some prayers might be comfortable to most of those denominations. There were relatively few Catholics and Jews; Indian religions were ignored. The culture was somewhat monolithic. I went to a high school in the '50's which was half Jewish, but Christian prayers were regularly used during assemblies. Now that appears to be highly insensitive, but then it was accepted as the way things were. The country's religious culture started changing 150+ years ago, but some haven't noticed. Just about any prayer has multiple versions depending what religion or denomination one subscribes to; some don't fit at all. 15% of Americans do not believe in any religion, twice the number 20 years ago. I know several Buddhists—who knew a Buddhist a generation ago?

Any group which promotes prayers as part of meetings and gatherings excludes certain members. Mostly those members keep their mouths shut because they know it will result in angry retorts by some people. I have no idea whether Blacks, Indians, gays, lesbians or members of any other group are welcomed or not by the WBCCI.

I was suggesting reform should include inclusiveness and encourage diversity. For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever seen a Black or an Indian with an RV.

Maggie, you are right, it was an observation.

Gene
Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #291
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I have no idea whether Blacks, Indians, gays, lesbians or members of any other group are welcomed or not by the WBCCI.
If you or anyone else knows of any discrimination that should be brought to light.

I think that would be at the unit level anyway.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever seen a Black or an Indian with an RV.
I have.

Gene on another note religion will not be a subject of this lawsuit, please let's not go off on a tangent with that subject in this thread..

Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #292
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
I have no idea whether Blacks, Indians, gays, lesbians or members of any other group are welcomed or not by the WBCCI.

I was suggesting reform should include inclusiveness and encourage diversity. For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever seen a Black or an Indian with an RV.
Gene,
I am Shawnee but have never met another native that Airstreams, but I am sure there are some. You will see lots of natives in RV's on the Pow wow circuit.
Tom
Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #293
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Gene on another note religion will not be a subject of this lawsuit, please let's not go off on a tangent with that subject in this thread..
The discussion of race, religion or politics has ended a few thread in the past. This thread is very close to political. Airforum members might what to leave the other two topics out of this thread.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #294
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Ok back on track,

I think there are about 100 units out there, do any of you think your unit may be interested in joining the lawsuit as co plaintiffs?

If so please pm myself Howie or Leo to discuss it.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #295
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Any group which promotes prayers as part of meetings and gatherings excludes certain members.
Gene
And that is an excellent observation. Sitting quietly while others pray is a common practice.

Embracing diversity and difference is, again, a process rather than an event, but certainly a direction in which to begin moving.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #296
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
The real issue here is culture. All too often in discussions of cultural differences, the participants use loaded words (and concepts) like race and religion. At the heart of the dispute--as far as I can tell--is a cultural difference between the interntional leadership and some of the rank-and-file members.

I emerged from a fairly specific culture... rural Montana, mill town, working class, blue collar/red neck. Because I've had the good fortune to travel extensively outside the U.S., acquire a decent education, live in other parts of the country, I see my "culture-of-origin" a bit differently than if I had not left. Oh, and the French half of my family has given me some unique insights.

I, for one, don't doubt the sincerity of both sides in this dispute. I think the sport coat, slacks, name tag, old school members of the WBCCI feel they are the rightful guardians of the Byam heritage... just as firmly as the sandals, tee shirt and "let's just go camping" members think they are.

Culture is hard thing to change. One would think the U.S. government would have learned that by now, spending trillions of dollars and sending armies of bureaucrats forth with the sole mission of changing culture... with very limited success. Sometimes, cultural change is simply a matter of an older generation passing to a younger with different notions.

As I have said before, I don't see a lawsuit resolving the fundamental cultural differences. If the old guard "wins," the long, slow decline into irrelevance will continue. If the new guard "wins," some of the old guard will leave rather than see the club "destroyed" by the usurpers.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #297
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I totally disagree Ken. I think you are totally wrong.
This law suit will bring about a great deal. A few lawyers will become even wealthier and the club will be killed for sure. It is a win/lose/lose situation for sure.
In the end a small group will be able to say, "we defended it till the end" and the other group will say "we did our best" and few lawyers will go for a nice drive with the top down.

Some of you reading will say I am "HECKLING" but I am just speaking my mind.

Shame on all of you for entertaining such bull droppings...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #298
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I'm glad to see the suit go forward. I just now doubled my original pledge.

I would hope for a negotiated settlement with agreement to primarily fix the non-election election process and the juvenile grievance process as well as balance spending without doing it on the backs of the membership..
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #299
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post

Some of you reading will say I am "HECKLING"
stick with tac, you already stated your position before, we remember it no need top repeat your self.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #300
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
When this blows up in your face will you cowboy up and accept responsibility? When the history books are written will YOU Bob accept the results of your actions? Because you WILL loose and so will the remaining +/- 6000 members you have. Law suits do nothing but make money for attorneys.
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com