Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #29
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Angry Unbelieveable!

I can't believe what I'm hearing! Children are not part of the WBCCI! Are we suppose to leave them home while we are out streamin'? "By the way kids, you have to be home alone again for the weekend because mommy and daddy will be gone with their AS". I suppose we are not anticipating our children to be the next generation of Airstream owners. Who will be carrying on the Wally Byam dream?

We can only talk about our New England Unit. Family is, and will always be part of the experience! Personally we are fairly new owners of an AS, and members of the NE unit. Our two daughters and the rest of the children in the unit (and there are quite a few)are part of one big family in the NE unit. Our little one will basically disappear at the get togethers, and will be eating lunch with her friends in one tt , see a movie in another tt or petting myboyburt's loveable cat (Buddy) in her trailer. Even our oldest, who is about to go away to law school, will sometime come with us when she is home. A group is only as good as the people who make up the group. Enough said!

Regards.
Titu

2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Citizens Arrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Hi Guys,

When I took on the role of Membership Chairperson for the New England Unit I was told to badge *every* family member *and* to offer to customize the badges for the kids. By customize I mean special colors for the kid's names or to offer their parents names next to theirs.

Are kids members of the New England Unit? You bet! Are they members by WBCCI standards? I don't know but if they are not then shame on the people who are running the show as we need champions to continue our club in the future.
Do tell, just how do you manage to keep the masses in line? Your unit seems successful, friendly, warm and well run, have you ever found it necessary to mail rule pages to your participants for infractions?

I myself would love to do an "attitude adjustment" on a member or two.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:09 AM   #31
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Fruit for thought!

For those of you interested in starting your own WBCCI unit's, you need 15 members to start your own unit. Attend one of our New England Unit rallies to see how we manage it!

You can ALL make the difference! There are 10,000 forum members, and how many are members of WBCCI? Several units can be created by all the FORUM MEMBERS!

Answer: Start your own lively and fun units.

Gail
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Do tell, just how do you manage to keep the masses in line? Your unit seems successful, friendly, warm and well run, have you ever found it necessary to mail rule pages to your participants for infractions?

I myself would love to do an "attitude adjustment" on a member or two.
No, I have not needed to send out the "rules" to any member. Come to think of it I should send the rules to myself as I'm a big WBCCI rule breaker.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail
For those of you interested in starting your own WBCCI unit's, you need 15 members to start your own unit. Attend one of our New England Unit rallies to see how we manage it!

You can ALL make the difference! There are 10,000 forum members, and how many are members of WBCCI? Several units can be created by all the FORUM MEMBERS!

Answer: Start your own lively and fun units.

Gail
Make that 10 Members not 15 - the amendment was approved at the Delegate meeting last year. And it appears in the new Directory - where the Constitution is published.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #34
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Ten members is correct. A group of twelve of us in Texas (Region 9) formed the "Heart of Texas Camping Unit". Children are most certainly welcome as most of us have kids, and while I can't speak for others, one of the major reasons for Airstreaming and being involved in a club like this is to expose them to something special. So far they, the kids, love it. They have formed their own bonds which I think makes it all worth it.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Our motto is: "It's just camping" and our attendance at unit events has increased quite a bit since we adopted this way of looking at/running things.
The "rules" thing is quite a turn-off for us younger airstreamers (how long do I get to say younger?). I think the "it's just camping" policy is perfect and that WBCCI should provide guidelines based on experience, but no rules.

My 2 cents.

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,
At the rate the old timers are dying off, we may be a younger group sooner than later. Just look at the last issue of the blue beret. A very long list of "heavenly members".

Our Florida Springs unit is very welcoming and friendly. We have a mixture of older and younger people. We live further south than the rest, but this was the group we wanted to be a part of. The local group here keeps trying to get us to change, but we like our unit.

Find a unit you can be a part of, even if it's not local. That's what we did.

I wish we had more children in our group because I love having kids around.

Marie
Old 02-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another hit for our local unit..

With sincere apologies to Terry, now I am getting even more furstrated with our local unit in land of high tech.. To recap: No E-mail, no web site, no badges til you join their rally, rallies at Fairgrounds from Thursday to Sunday morning with religious services and rules, etc etc... None of officers live in county where unit is headquartered (they ALL moved away when they retired..)! And now, Terry's letter reminded me they've been sent warning memo's from WBCCI HQ in past 2 years for holding rare RV Park rallies at "Adult Only" RV parks where children not permitted to be in attendance...

We may have to try for Nor-Cal "Unit" though it might be hard to find a dozen Forum members still willing to send $60 dues to WBCCI for privilege of receiving Blue Beret..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
With sincere apologies to Terry, now I am getting even more furstrated with our local unit in land of high tech.. To recap: No E-mail, no web site, no badges til you join their rally, rallies at Fairgrounds from Thursday to Sunday morning with religious services and rules, etc etc... None of officers live in county where unit is headquartered (they ALL moved away when they retired..)! And now, Terry's letter reminded me they've been sent warning memo's from WBCCI HQ in past 2 years for holding rare RV Park rallies at "Adult Only" RV parks where children not permitted to be in attendance...

We may have to try for Nor-Cal "Unit" though it might be hard to find a dozen Forum members still willing to send $60 dues to WBCCI for privilege of receiving Blue Beret..

John McG
John,

Why don't you try the Northern California Unit, I hear that they are pretty good and they have a website, although the last time I looked it was not updated. They also have been holding a rally at the Sacramento Jazz Festival over Memorial Day.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
John,

I know you'd be more than welcome at any of our rallies or functions...anytime.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Stuffy installation? Not!

Our installation was held at a country club; folks did dress nicely and we had a very nice dinner.

Then the fun began. Our new President was thoroughly roasted and we all left laughing. The photo shows him at the end of the roast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trust.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	18344  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #41
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
....... frustrated with our local unit in land of high tech.. We may have to try for Nor-Cal "Unit" though it might be hard to find a dozen Forum members still willing to send $60 dues to WBCCI for privilege of receiving Blue Beret.. John McG

You could join another unit - especially if you aren't a meeting go-er. It shouldn't really matter - you could still attend your home town unit rallies.

We joined the Oregon unit - even though we live in Washington for the same reasons you mentioned in your post. They are stuck in the mud! (well actually they are stuck in a concrete trailer park).

The Oregon Unit is cool and a good mix of old and new. Meetings and formal rallies complete with a morning bugle for those who need/love pomp AND pick up rallies with casual scheduling for those who want to sleep in and actually have campfires when camping.

For another few bucks you could probably get a newsletter from the local unit....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #42
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Sorry

Hello one and all.
Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Andy Neumann past President of the Metro Detroit Chapter of the WBCCI. I served two consecutive terms as president of the unit.
I took office after being a member of the unit for 3 years. My wife and I are what is considered younger members of the WBCCI at the time we were the youngest members of our unit. We joined because we had no experience what so ever in Airstreaming and saw the vast amount of experience and knowledge the club had to offer and are very glad we did. The year we joined there was a local dues increase of $2 and the outrage it created was tremendous. When I assumed the office of president I promised that we would do everything possible to avoid a local dues increase. Our local treasury was very tight and at my first Board/Membership meeting several cost saving measures were put into place. We voted to encourage newsletter distribution via Email to save the cost of printing and postage. We discounted the local unit purchase of rally plaques, since we were winding up eating the cost of the unsold plaques. We would have a 50/50 raffle at unit activities and use the earning to by door prizes, it was decided that we would now place this income into the general fund and no longer do door prizes. We also decided that we would no longer just mail out new membership packages. At the time it was costing the unit around $9 for each packet, which included the membership directory and badges.
We were seeing very few of these new members actually come out and participate. We thought that if we could meet them in person we would have a better chance of them being active members of our unit. We did not do this as a way of taking the money and running. We were sending them a welcome letter and they were receiving the newsletter every month. I am very sorry that our actions caused anyone to feel slighted, I also want it made clear that these changes were made at a local unit level and should not reflect on the WBCCI as a whole. As president of the unit at the time I accept full responsibility for implementation of the above actions. I have already contacted Wheelinterested and am working on remedying her dissatisfaction. If anyone else has been offended by our action please fee free to contact me and I will do everything I can to assist you as well.

I am truly sorry if this has turned any off of joining the WBCCI, the Metro Detroit unit is a great bunch of people and I am proud to be a member.