Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
WBCCI Alternative Number Display

Hi Everyone. I will be going to the IBT Rally in Perry Georgia in January and I need to display my numbers without permanently afixing them on the Airstream. In Salem at the International I had several messages delivered and finally a neighbor taped up a piece of notebook paper with my number. I can do much better than that for the next event but I still prefer not to attach the numbers permanently for various reasons.

Who has improvised a way to show their numbers? Plexiglass on suction cups I have heard of. Any others? I was wondering if a film that adhered with static might work on the front window stone guard or if I could make or order a sign and where and how I could mount it, perhaps on the gas tank cover. Any ideas?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings Carol-

Yes, many of the Vintage owners use plexi-glass with suction cups. It looks great and is quick to remove. If you have a local sign maker who uses Gerber Films and Cutters, he (or she) could cut you red static-cling numbers and you could apply those to your front window. These you could use propably several times before they became too dirty and lost their static ability.

Have fun in Perry!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hi Everyone. I will be going to the IBT Rally in Perry Georgia in January and I need to display my numbers without permanently afixing them on the Airstream. In Salem at the International I had several messages delivered and finally a neighbor taped up a piece of notebook paper with my number. I can do much better than that for the next event but I still prefer not to attach the numbers permanently for various reasons.

Who has improvised a way to show their numbers? Plexiglass on suction cups I have heard of. Any others? I was wondering if a film that adhered with static might work on the front window stone guard or if I could make or order a sign and where and how I could mount it, perhaps on the gas tank cover. Any ideas?
Carol,
We do the plexiglass on suction cups. Not perfect, but I think that I spent less than $10 for the whole setup. I rest the plexiglass on my frame and hold in place with 4 suction cups attached to the propane tanks.
If you do find a better way let me know!!
Do remember to use the soapy water trick to move the numbers around...
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
..... I still prefer not to attach the numbers permanently for various reasons.

NO FLIPPIN WAY! Come on what are ya doing - Dare YA I think your nice brand new life savings investment should sport those Red Sticky numbers dab smack in the middle so we all can read them from a 100 miles away 25 years from now when your rig is a VINTAGE you will be depriving all the PO's the opportunity to try and get the dang things off and even when they do come off that trailer is still number X in shadow

Not to mention how much it must cost in insurance for all those who have fallen off the ladder putting them up

Just kidding you.

I think the big issue is consistancy Tank covers is a great idea - but then the vintage units mostly do not have tank covers.

Putting in the window has various issue too - which one and then if front window and the stone guard is down - can't see can't see can't see -

What about Airstream coming up with a small flag mount since "Flags" are a really important part of airstreaming have a number flag that can be displayed on a proper fitting - somewhat like the PowerSquardrant flags on a vessel. They are not very big. But with something like this - then the fun of seeing fellow WBCCI airstreamers down the road will make a tad difficult don't you think.

What there should be is a mounting on the aistream say below the marker lights that a number can slide into - and something else can go there or left clear like a plexi photo style holder that is made to withstand exterior use - almost like those license plate holders or protectors. But shaped and riveted as a permenant holder the the rig. It could be used for anything - other club numbers if you belonged to several or other club logos. Or even your own trailer name or surname if on other types of functions - but when not in use if a bracket system is used it can be removed just leaving the brackets or left blank for the aluminum to show through.... Could be mounted on the curb side lower front panel or the stone guard for those who have them...

Anyway I am sure this topic has been tossed around - but most just stick em in the window or get messages left at their door
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Has anyone considered using thread-serts. Since Our trailers are riveted together why not install one or two thread-serts that install just like a rivet on each side of the front window and then mount a flat polished piece of aluminum with the numbers on it. When traveling you can take them off or choose to leave them on for other members to see when you are on the road.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
These are great ideas. With Don's or Sharon's idea, I wouldn't even mind having the numbers up all the time I just don't want to paste them on and have any ghosting later.

I'll have to look into threadserts, never heard of them before. And thanks Rick and Abe, plexiglass may be what I can do, though that's the thing it's on my do list. Where's that easy button? Gerber films and cutters that's another new thing. I will have to see.

Seems to me Devoman has signs for the forum numbers maybe ...

It's always a scavenger hunt going to a big WBCCI rally, need a clothespin and a piece of string, y connector, where's those badges,...

photography
Old 12-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Everyone has contributed some good ideas here, but we need to remember our WBCCI red numbers have not to do with Airstream directly; yes we as club members promote AS, but we are independant of the AS Corp. Personally, the only reason I can see for NOT putting your WBCCI numbers on your AS is if it is older than 51 years. Since Wally started the club at that time there wouldn't be numbers on a vintage that old. (Not sure of when the numbers actually started, good little research project for someone) I love the idea that the numbers are alwayd there for all to see. makes finding a friends AS easy at rallies and when on the road you can easily look up who is in front of you in your directory and it show unity. In addition, it is always a conversation at many campgrounds when non AS owners ask you about them. But that is just my position.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I like that idea! The factory was instructed to not reinstall my numbers if they replace the panel with them on it. I already have some plasic sheet that I am not uisng now all I need is the suction cups!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Has anyone considered using thread-serts.
We still have my grandfather's numbers - cut out of sheet aluminum and mounted on metal strips. That could easily be mounted with thread inserts. Need to be careful about a good seal for no leaks.

The problem is providing for a place to show the WBCCI logo above the numbers and the red stars and other such insignia as appropriate. You need those so some folks here can complain about the GOB and the PTB and the rules and regulations and uniforms and such. (please 'scuse me for the sarcasm).

Another idea would be to install a couple of rails, top and bottom, like awning rails, that could hold a sheet of plastic or whatever. The curve is a bit of a problem with this idea, I think.

These numbers really should be above the windows front and rear to serve their original purpose.

And, on another of Carol's problems - there is also a need to display the campground registration (needed not only for the I'Rally but also for a lot of campgrounds). This paperwork is usually stuck in the window by the door. There needs to be a better solution for this display as well.

Then there is the label the honey crew stuck on the trailer. Why did they use the permanent adhesive type labels rather than the easy peel off type? (This is probably a suggestion for Renee). Maybe we need some sort of road side spot for such things, too?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Oh yes Bryan, the window next to the door... a problem in the FB. Hmmm... Very cool to have your grandparents numbers.

Rickandsandi, I can think of 2 good reasons not to permanently adhere your numbers. One you don't keep your membership or 2 you don't keep your Airstream.

Right now my reason to show numbers is to spare the messenger a headache trying to locate my Airstream.

photography
Old 12-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Here's the picture...

Here is photo of suction cup/hook and thin sheet of plexiglass (comes pre-cut at 18' x 36'), as used in Salem... Total cost less than $10... One trick is to spray paint back side of plexiglass with aluminum paint, so front still looks shiny, and keep a bottle of denatured alchohol to clean surface for suction cups... You probably only need one, rather than one for each end of trailer... They are useful since all the "higher authorities" will use these for any emergency services, and they also help with Pizza delivery...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WBCCI_Numbers.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	29487  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That's nice, thanks for the picture. I was wondering how to attach the suction cups, your photo shows it well. I like the silver paint idea.

photography
Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Silver paint!

I also like the silver paint idea!! I now have my first spring project!!
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm a traditionalist and feel the numbers should go above the front window on my Airstream. That is how I feel about my scenario. That is not to say I think anyone else should follow my thoughts on the subject. However, the WBCCI gives directions on where to install the numbers and the round decal and stars. I just think if you join an organization you should go by their rules.

Having said all of that, there are provisions for the plexiglass with numbers in the WBCCI handbook. I think that is a good idea if you don't want the numbers above the window or don't want them permanently part of your trailer's history. While we were camping at the Top of Georgia Airstream Park in August, there were many of the Airstreams that employed the plexiglass and numbers combination with suction cups attached to their front windows (center one on the wrap windows) or on their tank covers, or just hanging via chains from their tanks or hitch jacks. As I recall, there were some other creative methods of displaying the plexiglass number signs, too. I just don't recall any specifics right off hand.

So hang-em high or hang-em low, it's a matter of preference and entirely up to the individual. I'll admit, the license plate holders with protecter type arrangement seems like a good one.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Just noticed in the March Blue Beret (bottom of page 38) that anyone going to the International Rally in Perry, Georgia this year "must have prominently displayed WBCCI numbers when parked."

I just wish I could keep my numbers from peeling off of my '66 AS. Every winter snow starts them peeling. Or, maybe my trailer is trying to tell me something?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I got mine on plexiglass for the rally but I only taped it up so far. I have my suction cups now just need to get it all together, but I will be identifiable parked. The detergent worked well those are some sticky numbers, took me a good while to get them almost right. Glad I was working on a table with see through material, I can almost imagine how difficult to get them on the unit up there. I'm not ready to marry my WBCCI numbers yet so for now they're hanging low.

photography
Old 03-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Plexiglass is the way to go!

Carol,
Here's how we mounted ours on plexiglass without compromising the clearcoat. We put it up after arrival and takedown before hitching up.
Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4962 small.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	33714  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Jim, that's a lovely autumn picture. I like your pinwheel flamingo too. Your number display looks great. It should work out on my window then. I enjoyed Oregon this summer with the rally and getting to meet you and the other west coast streamers from the forum. Sure is pretty country. Now you owe us in the East a visit.

photography
Old 03-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Carol, put vaseline on your numbers and when your done, they will peel right off. I do that with the #'s on the MH.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Carol,
Here's how we mounted ours on plexiglass without compromising the clearcoat. We put it up after arrival and takedown before hitching up.
Works great!
What a good idea! We will pull ours out of that envelope now. Don't care to ruin the finish on our silver cabin either.
Thanks,
John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote