Old 02-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
. . . . The hogs in Iowa (at least in Northwest Iowa), however, do outnumber the people about ten-to-one...

Roger
So THAT'S what I smell when the wind is out of the southwest.

-Don, just west of Minneapolis

Old 02-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Numbers in hand, not on my trailer

I too haven't put my numbers on my trailer. Not because I want to hide the fact that I'm in the WBCCI. For me there's a more basic reason....

When I joined the WBCCI my welcome package and numbers arrived. I read through the package and was extremely excited. I then got to the instructions on putting the numbers on my trailer. Measure this many inches, take a pencil and make a straight line, etc. My eyes glazed over and I had flashbacks to kindergarten.....

You see, when I was little my teachers thought I was slow because my handwriting was bad, and I stunk at cut & paste. I was the kid who couldn't color in the lines. Asking me to draw a straight line even with a ruler was nearly impossible. Sure when I was 5 I was reading at a 4th grade level, but that didn't matter to my teachers. I was obviously slow because cut & paste weren't my specialty! Notes often went home to my parents.....I wasn't worried though, too busy reading the Trilogy of the Rings.

So, when I saw how specific and precise laying my numbers out was supposed to be I froze up. Plus I knew, no matter how I tried, my numbers would end up not lined up properly.

Who'd want to to see my childhood trauma played out in big red numbers on my trailer every day?

WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetat
So, when I saw how specific and precise laying my numbers out was supposed to be I froze up. Plus I knew, no matter how I tried, my numbers would end up not lined up properly.

Who'd want to to see my childhood trauma played out in big red numbers on my trailer every day?
Bring 'em to the next rally, and I'll help you put them on.

That's the best benefit of being in the club. there's always plenty of help and experience available.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
That was my plan

Chuck,

LOL! That was my plan. I was going to walk around the Spring Into Camping Rally and make puppy eyes at folks who have their stickers on!

Trade ya network services for a person who aced cut & paste!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Wink Posting of numbers and the history thereof...

What is missing is the history behind the posting of the numbers.....

First and foremost, Wally Byam was a tireless promoter and savvy businessman......

The concept of the numbers served to identify the owner of the trailer as being part of a club....
What is ironic here is that the club itself is a "secret society" by tradition; only by owning an Airstream could you be part of the "club".
Many people were enticed into purchasing an Airstream just to be members of the club.

I have a suggestion. There is a photo hosting website called "Shutterfly".
It is a totally free service. One of the advantages is that you can have a shirt printed for $15 that has your custom image that you upload on the front along with a border that they offer (if you prefer).
Why not take a picture of your unit, customize the image with a border that includes your club number (and perhaps your year and model) and wear it.....

At the next rally, on a trip to the store, whenever........

Take the pride that you have in your Airstream and your club literally "a step further".......

Here is the link....

@ http://www.shutterfly.com/

Old 02-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Sorry Elizabeth in Iowa, my bad.!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When we got our free year membership back in 2003, I got the red numbers with a welcome package. These were the same numbers I saw for years as a kid camping and seeing Airstreams on the road.

As I started to actually learn more about the club, as a number of folks realized that WBCCI in most places was not what it use to be. When it came to the matter of the numbers on the then Bambi, I refused to stick them on the hull. We upgraded to the Safari a bit later and would still not stick stickers on the hull even if WBCCI or whatever it wants to be called today was actually worthwhile in my geographic area.

To me it's a personal choice and if a club required it or frowned on not having them on, they, IMHO could either accept that fact or not, their choice. I'm also not into secret handshakes or strange hats either, which could be why the informal forum type rallyes seem to be such a hit.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetat
Chuck,

LOL! That was my plan. I was going to walk around the Spring Into Camping Rally and make puppy eyes at folks who have their stickers on!

Trade ya network services for a person who aced cut & paste!
hmmm...already got plenty of network services. what else ya got?

kidding....that's the thing, though. you don't really need "puppy eyes". I nearly got a free brake job without even asking last year because someone heard something going "click click click" in one of my wheels when I was on the way into the rally site.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When I needed to finish up the patch on the side after I replaced my heater, I just waited until the next rally. Sure enough someone had a rivet shaver, and had the rivets done all professional-like in about five minutes flat!

I haven't heard of anyone being ousted for not wearing their numbers. At International your number serves as a sort of address. So if they need to make an announcement, like your trailer's on fire, they'd like to be able to say "#3717, your trailer is on fire" as opposed to "There's a 68 Caravel on Fire in the vintage area". See how one would be more precise - think how many people would have to drop their ice cream and come running for that second call But seriously, it's for identification purposes at big rallys and caravans, so it does have a practical application. But it's still optional.

And, Eric, I keep telling you we don't all have funny hats Our President doesn't even have one on in the photo for our membership directory this year. It's the 'new' WBCCI! I sincerely wish you had a good unit in your area so you could see how much fun it is!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
..."There's a 68 Caravel on Fire in the vintage area".
..."its the one with the blue suburban tow vehicle"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
But seriously, it's for identification purposes at big rallys and caravans, so it does have a practical application...
...and it can be achieved with a placard in the window or elsewhere, as has been mentioned before. I thought the best one was the lexan placard with suction cup hooks mounted to the endcaps. at a glance, it looks very much like the traditional stuck-on numbers.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yeah, I agree, if I polish the trailer I'll go with the numbers on plexi idea, but mine will be in the window. No way I'm bringing a ladder just to put on my numbers Somehow I don't think they'll throw me out because of it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #26
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Numbers in the Window

Can't put numbers in the window, that's for EX President's, Ex Treasure's, Ex Secetarie's & Ex Janitor's of the WBCCI and they will make your life H---!!
Just ask me how I now>>>>> in a private e-mail, please, I don't need anymore warning's.

Don
Old 02-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #27
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Number ,Numbers, Numbers

We are now on our 2nd trailer. on the first we went all out and put the big red numbers on it front and back. I did all the measuring and marking and got them on just as they should have been. This was on a 1997 25foot Safari that we had bought used.

We traded up to a 2004 28ft CCD, no big red numbers on this one, we plan on keeping it for a long long time and I do not want to put the perminent shadows on the endcaps. My solution was inspired by a fellow member of our local unit.

The rear window is a large black surface, put some big white numbers on this and you can read them from miles away. Up front we have the wraparound black plexiglass window protectors, went to a Boat store and bought some 3" numbers that are a silver metlic shiney marterial, they look real neat reflecting the sun. Our endcaps are bald but everyone knows my membership number. No complaints yet , have been to two internationals and countless other rallies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	numbers.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	18529  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #28
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
This got me interested in my "ghost numbers" on the Excella, and I just got a surprise. They're not the same number on front and back! The front looks like it was 31997, and rear looks like 8507. Both ends look like they had the WBCCI circular logos above them.

I wonder if that shorter number is available? Or either one of them, actually. Or who these people were?

Lamar

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote