Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Well I can't wait to catch up with all the WDCU group again! We plan on Madison next year. A secret route to Madison sounds cool. We would certainly jump in if it wasn't too far out of the way.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
obscene tools.... now that's a crowd pleaser

Ummm - errr - yah.... Sorry about the Chief!

We made the mistake of going through one of the Illinois toll roads with our trailer. The toll for our truck/single axle trailer was more than two times the cost for a car!

Compare that to the West Virginia Turnpike - they charge you 25 cents more for ANY RV trailer.... Guess which state want tourists more?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A year out and the convoy is forming already... Dave that sounds good. Maybe we can meet at your sight, then gang up with Steve's unit the day before and all roll in together. Give the parkers a run for their money.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
A year out and the convoy is forming already... Dave that sounds good. Maybe we can meet at your sight, then gang up with Steve's unit the day before and all roll in together. Give the parkers a run for their money.

No one have your numbers on and be hard of hearing....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I have already been thinking about attending Madison next year. I really want to be there. It is sort of a central USA location.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfredd View Post
It MAY start even sooner...

I am thinking of hosting a Pre-Pre-Rally gathering in Indiana where people can meet up, spend a night, then caravan to the VAC pre-rally gathering.

Pfredd - keep us in the loop also - the spouse and I are thinking seriously about Madison next year - hate to miss ANY party!

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Like I said - it's just an idea at this point.

I will investigate several potential locations and get some info out early this Fall.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
No one have your numbers on and be hard of hearing....
As soon as I get my end cap polished I am putting my numbers on. I just had them made up. The color is the same deep red as the official numbers, but it is a very different font and they are 7 1/2" tall instead of 6". What do you think Paul?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	63143
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
Melissa and I just sent our membership change to the WDCU unit. Count us as the two newest members to the WDCU unit
Abe/Melissa,
Welcome aboard! I have always considered you guys as a member of WDCU anyway. We changed our unit membership to WDCU last year, and in the words of the membership chairperson, "You didn't change units... you upgraded".

GLW
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Frank,

I think the numbers are "Right on the Edge", just like you!

They are very fitting. I say run with them.

Keeping it real.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
A funny thing happened .....

I was slated to be the WDCU delegate this year.
Once we were parked I realized with horror that 2 things happened - One, Kimber and I would have to leave early because we would have to be in Sacramento on Tuesday (actually, we knew this before we left for Bozeman) and second, I had no delegate credentials nor the result of the voting, which was done by email.
After some scrambling around and asking around, April volunteered to be the delegate. We were able to get a faxed credentials paper from Pete and get April registered with 10 minutes to spare before the final delegates desk closing.
I am disappointed to hear that the experience did not go well for her. It was her first International and obviously first time being a delegate and she was such a trooper to step up to the plate to do this. WDCU was very close to not having a vote at all. I hope to talk to her to see what happened and how she is doing.
I am also looking forward to Madison and hope Andy & April will be there as well...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfredd View Post
We made the mistake of going through one of the Illinois toll roads with our trailer. The toll for our truck/single axle trailer was more than two times the cost for a car!
Dave,

I alway get the feeling the toll worker is just picking a dollar figure out of you know where. LOL! Best thing is to open a I-pass account and then just zip right through... the transponder records your tolls and deducts the appropriate amount from your account. These also work anywhere in the E-Z Pass system.

In reality, the best this is to use your secret toll avoidance route and enjoy a longer, but more scenic trip... what did Wally say? "Drive over that hill and then the next and then the next."
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I just had them made up. The color is the same deep red as the official numbers, but it is a very different font and they are 7 1/2" tall instead of 6". What do you think...
Very Cool!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I don't do windows!

Not windows... but I don't do toll roads... and Frank - those Decals ( pronounced Deh-culs in Canada) will look sweet! Where's the "Yensan's Second Home" decals?
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
After some scrambling around and asking around, April volunteered to be the delegate...I am disappointed to hear that the experience did not go well for her. It was her first International and obviously first time being a delegate and she was such a trooper to step up to the plate to do this. WDCU was very close to not having a vote at all.
This sort of treatment seems to be typical from the IBT. My first experience with this was last year when I listened to the simulcast of the meeting at Perry, GA. A woman (sorry I don't recall who it was) from my Wisconsin unit was to address the IBT regarding the State of Affairs of our unit. As some of you may know, we have a rather outspoken member of our unit (and past president of the VAC) Ed Emerick. I mention this because our representative. Ms. X was subject to an extended tongue lashing from Richard Heyde, region 5 pres (and member of the IBT) regarding comments and activities made over the years by Mr. Emerick. It was completely inappropriate for this to be addressed without Ed being present to defend himself and also very disrespectful to our spokesperson who had no involvement in the matter. It was as though Mr. Heyde was using the power and platform of the IBT meeting to fight his own personal battle with Ed by abusing this woman. It was very eye opening.

April,

Kudos to you for stepping up, that is very admirable. Please do not take offense at the treatment you received. It appears to be a badge of honor to be worn by soldiers in the fight for the future of the WBCCI. Wear it with pride! Maybe we need to make a special T-shirt for those brave individuals who have survived the abuse of the IBT.

"I took all the SH*T the IBT could throw at me and survived" LOL!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Okay, I've stayed out of it, but can't help but weigh in at this point. As an Airstream-Wannabe-Guy, I just haven't heard much positive about the executive leadership of the WBCCI. Makes me wonder if I would ever join? It seems like there are some great local units, so I guess that might be enough...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm thinking about going to Madison next year, too. Normally I have a car club event around that same time every year, but I have a funny feeling after this year I'm not really going to be interested in going to the car club event next year. I love the Indiana stopover idea! I'd probably stop there anyway.

I didn't return the vote for the delegates because I had no idea who any of them were, so I felt like the responsible thing to do was not vote.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Abe/Melissa,
Welcome aboard! I have always considered you guys as a member of WDCU anyway. We changed our unit membership to WDCU last year, and in the words of the membership chairperson, "You didn't change units... you upgraded".

GLW
Thanks for the Kind words!!! Any chance we will see you at VTJ?
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
This year is different . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
This sort of treatment seems to be typical from the IBT. My first experience with this was last year when I listened to the simulcast of the meeting at Perry, GA. A woman (sorry I don't recall who it was) from my Wisconsin unit was to address the IBT regarding the State of Affairs of our unit. As some of you may know, we have a rather outspoken member of our unit (and past president of the VAC) Ed Emerick. I mention this because our representative. Ms. X was subject to an extended tongue lashing from Richard Heyde, region 5 pres (and member of the IBT) regarding comments and activities made over the years by Mr. Emerick. It was completely inappropriate for this to be addressed without Ed being present to defend himself and also very disrespectful to our spokesperson who had no involvement in the matter. It was as though Mr. Heyde was using the power and platform of the IBT meeting to fight his own personal battle with Ed by abusing this woman. It was very eye opening.
Richard Heyde, having served his term, is out of office and no longer the Region 5 President. He is last year's news. Times have changed. I did not attend this year's Delegates Meeting, but did attend a wonderful informal Happy Hour.

This year on Wednesday evening, July 2nd, the Region Officers hosted Happy Hour at the VAC tent and provided all the food. Not all could attend due to prior commitments, but many Region Presidents, Vice President and their better halves attended. It was a delightful time. Two Region officers, Region 7 President Don Rogers and another whom I unfortunately forgot, brought a beautiful sheet cake with icing that incorporated photos of our trailers taken during the vintage parade. I spoke with the current Region 5 President who, like many other WBCCI Officers, was shocked and aghast at Mr. Heyde's outbursts last year and apologized for it.

The Region Officers sponsored the Happy Hour to mend fences and improve communications. There are a few Region Officers who own vintage trailers, are VAC members and strongly support the VAC, so please don't paint all Region Officers with the same inappropriate brush. There is strong support for VAC activities -- and other changes -- in many Regions and especially in the Midwest. Many Region Officers are pushing for change and get just as frustrated as others with the slow pace of achieving it. But they are in leadership positions and will continue to push.

I finally met Public Relations Chair Bill Schrader and vigorously shook his hand to thank him for all the great work he has been doing to modernize the WBCCI from the inside out. He also heads up the 2020 Committee and brought the committee members to the VAC tent to find out what changes we thought would improve the club. They took many notes.

This year's International was the best (of two) I've attended. The VAC had excellent parking on a grass athletic field and a busy agenda of fun activities. This year the days were pleasant and the nights were crisp (40s and 50s) for excellent sleeping. I'm sure other attendees will pipe up with their experiences.

But my main point is don't keep picking the Richard Heyde scab. Let it fully heal and let's move on to more current topics.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Okay, I've stayed out of it, but can't help but weigh in at this point. As an Airstream-Wannabe-Guy, I just haven't heard much positive about the executive leadership of the WBCCI. Makes me wonder if I would ever join? It seems like there are some great local units, so I guess that might be enough...
It's just like the evening news. Good deeds, good people and good news go unreported. Wrecks and disasters make headlines. Don't judge the WBCCI by the few comments you read (time and again) here.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote