Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Sorry for the delay in posting....

We are home and settled in and now and I have finally had time to catch up on the forums. I will try and retell my side of the story from the International Rally. Originally Andy & I were going to leave early Monday morning- but we were approached to be the delegates for the WDCU. I decided I would be the delegate so Andy could have the trailer packed/ hitched and ready to go. As Tim explained we really were rushing against the clock to get the delegate paperwork in. I then got in touch with Pete (the Prez of the WDCU) to find out what the votes were. Unfortunately (due to email problems?) there was not a large response to the vote. The first few votes went well (so to speak- we just reported our numbers and the nominations from the committee won by a landslide) the votes felt rigged because every time there was a nomination from the floor they didn't even stand a chance. The majority of the units Presidents' would choose to vote for the unit (instead of actually taking a vote from the units members) and so when the unit reported its' votes it was always 100% for a certain person (never the nomination from the floor). The WDCU decided to take our few votes and use them as a percentage representation of our unit (because we had votes in multiple directions). When it came time to vote for the new nominating committee there are two positions open so the votes were basically being given 100% to 2 people. We were the only unit that had votes for all four people running for the 2 positions and when the secretary lady plugged our numbers into her computer to give me the votes the wouldn't work out correctly because we had more votes for Leo than we had voting members so they told me I had to vote the odd numbers (103) as abstentions as opposed to give them to a person our unit had not favored and then thus not stayed true to the original percentage representations of our units votes. If you followed all that - you can understand that the morning was a little frustrating. At the end of all of it- the people who the committee had nominated won and the others didn't even stand a chance. So as soon as it was all over- I hurried the hell out of there and we hit the road (we made it to South Dakota that night). I did the best I could and feel that the whole situations was a little messy- but at least our votes went it and we can say we tried to make a difference. I suggest that the votes for all matters of the WBCCI be registered via a website or mail-in instead of via units at a very long and boring meeting. I also think that the people running for the offices should be readily available to anyone wanting to run and they should have articles about each nominee in the Blue Beret and on the organizations website. There was some discussion during the delegates meeting about the fact that none of the nominees discussed their views for the future of the WBCCI - it was all about how many rallies they had attended and how many caravans they had been on (doesn't # of trailers count?). Obviously there needs to be a major change in the organization and although we enjoyed the rally I was getting just plain snappy when the elders kept saying - "why aren't your numbers on your trailer?" & "didn't you listen to the CB announcement at 7:00 am?" It is all about camping- and we were on vacation! I am glad I had the opportunity to represent the WDCU- and I hope I did the unit justice!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #58
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
April,

Thank you for stepping up! It was actually quite fun to race around to get the paperwork done.
I do believe that you probably got railroaded by the recording secretary and I do not think you should feel bad at all. You did a great job.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
I am glad I had the opportunity to represent the WDCU- and I hope I did the unit justice!
April,

I had the opportunity on Saturday to scan through the recorded feed. I think you did a great job. By referring to the candidates by first name only, you injected an element of informality and familiarity that is the cornerstone of the WDCU. People on vacation don't refer to each other as "Mr. So and So." I especially got a chuckle from your "under your breath" comment at the end of the process... yes it was recorded for all to hear, though it was clear that it was not your intention to have it be broadcast.

The system as it stands, is biased toward "electing" individuals whose "turn has come" rather than who is best for the job or who has a vision for the future. These unfortunate events each year do serve to galvanize those supporting productive change to the organization... you took one for the team, thanks!
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
It would be interesting to see the history of how the "nomination" process worked throughout WBCCI's history.

Has it always been that the nomination committee selected only one candidate per position, or did that evolve somehow....
Old 07-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
April,

I had the opportunity on Saturday to scan through the recorded feed. I think you did a great job. By referring to the candidates by first name only, you injected an element of informality and familiarity that is the cornerstone of the WDCU. People on vacation don't refer to each other as "Mr. So and So." I especially got a chuckle from your "under your breath" comment at the end of the process... yes it was recorded for all to hear, though it was clear that it was not your intention to have it be broadcast.
I would like to read the recording- where did you find that at?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
They'r at it again. In the Madison rally Advertiser that arrived from WBCCI page 3, I quote " The Rally will start on a Sunday night, run an entire week". Page 4 quote "parking hours are 8:00 am to 4:00pm Monday --Saturday, no Sunday parking".

Thats great starts Sunday but you better not come Sunday!!! Does anyone else see a problem with this.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #63
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
They'r at it again. In the Madison rally Advertiser that arrived from WBCCI page 3, I quote " The Rally will start on a Sunday night, run an entire week". Page 4 quote "parking hours are 8:00 am to 4:00pm Monday --Saturday, no Sunday parking".

Thats great starts Sunday but you better not come Sunday!!! Does anyone else see a problem with this.
I would hope that this oversight is changed before the rally begins.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23 View Post
I would hope that this oversight is changed before the rally begins.

Don't count on it!!!
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #65
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Don't count on it!!!
Funny,that would have been the same response to my post but this time I believe there may actually be a chance that it will.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #66
Certifiable

. , .
Dear Warrior Princess,

{I would like to read the recording- where did you find that at?}

You did a great job under the circumstances.

Delegate's meeting
Click on IBT
Click on Live Broadcast
Click on the 6-30-08 Meeting
Old 07-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
They'r at it again. In the Madison rally Advertiser that arrived from WBCCI page 3, I quote " The Rally will start on a Sunday night, run an entire week". Page 4 quote "parking hours are 8:00 am to 4:00pm Monday --Saturday, no Sunday parking". Thats great starts Sunday but you better not come Sunday!!! Does anyone else see a problem with this.
Hi Doug:

This parking disconnect has already been brought to the attention of the 2020 Committee on the wbcci.org. web site:

WBCCI Forum -

I'm hopeful the limited weekend parking hours will be expanded at Madison to welcome all attendees, especially those who still work. Please also post your comments on the wbcci.org web site in support of this rational adjustment. Thanks!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Fred,

Your post on the WBCCI 2020 forum was very well written.

It points out the issue and suggests constructive alternatives without getting emotional about it.

Now lets hope that the people in charge react in the same way....

(I, for one, am not holding my breath...)
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:

Doug,

I thought that seemed VERY strange myself. We are even told that we can work thru Friday and then have Sat and Sun for travel. We are also told in bold letters that it is going to be FUN.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
I would like to read the recording- where did you find that at?
Here is a link to the archived audio for the 2008 delegates meeting at the WBCCI site

And here is a link to the page that all the 2008 archived audio is posted.