Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
WAS going to join the WBCCI....

After reading all the negativity and not fully understanding whats going on with the Wbcci, I have decided too much politics involved. I bought this Airstream to get away from drama.
Does this mean I can't attend certain parks or rallys? Whats the other side of the story? Is there a Wbcci forum thats unbiased?

75.00 a year doesn't seem bad.

Just curious, New to all of this.

P.S. Gonna get my air sticker though!!! I just learned what that was today.....No Joke.

Shane

Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
After reading all the negativity and not fully understanding whats going on with the Wbcci, I have decided too much politics involved. I bought this Airstream to get away from drama.
Does this mean I can't attend certain parks or rallys? Whats the other side of the story? Is there a Wbcci forum thats unbiased?

75.00 a year doesn't seem bad.

Just curious, New to all of this.

P.S. Gonna get my air sticker though!!! I just learned what that was today.....No Joke.

Shane
Shane,

Too bad, take a look a the Heart of Texas Camping Unit. From what I understand no politics and no drama. If you were closer I would suggest El Camino Real, again no politics, no drama.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Shane, if you don't mind sending off the money and not getting much from it and having zero control over the administration of the club you finance, then you might give the club a shot. At the local level (which costs more) where most of the activity actually takes place, things tend to be more peaceful and fun.
I love the Four Corners Unit rallies. Since I do mind the shenanigans, I am conflicted over whether to renew. Time will tell.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Shane, if you don't mind sending off the money and not getting much from it and having zero control over the administration of the club you finance, then you might give the club a shot. At the local level (which costs more) where most of the activity actually takes place, things tend to be more peaceful and fun.
I love the Four Corners Unit rallies. Since I do mind the shenanigans, I am conflicted over whether to renew. Time will tell.
I'm so GREEN that I don't know about Sub-Clubs,...is that a term? LOL

There is so much to absorb, but I'm trying.

Shane
Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Shane join and you will have a good time, learning how to do repairs and save money on repairs and camping.
Quote:
I'm so GREEN that I don't know about Sub-Clubs,...is that a term? LOL

There is so much to absorb, but I'm trying.

Shane
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Shane,

Check out the Texas Vintage rally this weekend.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Shane,

It is the regional (local) unit that counts to most of the 6,000 members, not the head office. It is important as well to note that in effect that is 6,000 trailers - many (most?) rigs have 2 people and then many also have children, so the actual extended membership by association is substantially greater than 6,000.

If you look at the number of folks who are unhappy and voice it on all the forums the numbers are actually not very high. Maybe as high as 2% which if you compare that to any association or grouping of people is probably normal. What the internet has created is a voice for them and high visibility so a small number of people can get a high amount of visibility. These people are not wrong in their assessments because it is how they feel and they are expressing themselves, some eloquently, and some just through volume. It all boils down to you just can't please all people all the time and some none of the time and some are just there to have fun.

Give your local unit a shot and check out that gathering this weekend. Why base your decision on what others say, both for and against? Instead go check it out yourself and make a decision based on your likes and dislikes.

I'm a happy camper, typically don't join things, but find that being a part of the WBCCI, with all its history and the potential for changes over time to be worth the investment. And in the meantime the folks in the units I've met have, to the very last one, been real nice folks, just there to camp and share the campfire with fellow Airstreamers.

Good luck with your decision.

Barry
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
After reading all the negativity and not fully understanding whats going on with the Wbcci, I have decided too much politics involved.
As has been said earlier, MOST of the jabs seen here in the Forums are aimed at the WBCCI National organization, not the local units.

Local units each have their own distinctive flavor...you owe it to yourself to at least "try on" two or three units prior to making a decision to either opt into the WBCCI or go the independent route.

Try going as a Member at Large (MAL) in the WBCCI, and camp with several groups (units) until you can determine for yourself that being affiliated with "the club" is for you and your family or not.

There are advantages (and disadvantages) either way.

Many of the people attending the "forum" rallys are also members of the WBCCI. Forum rallying and WBCCI unit rallys are not mutually exclusive.

As far as the Vintage rally in Houston goes, it may or may not be too late to partake in the two meals provided by the Rally fee, depending whether or not there is a prepaid cancellation you could "step into". Regardless of the meal fees, the two units hosting this rally are relatively progressive and have made a "step fee" available for those not able to enjoy the entire rally. I seriously doubt if the campground is entirely sold out, you should be able to check into the campground as an "independant" and talk to the people running the rally about walk in fees for the seminars...cost should be minimal.

Regardless of your decision to pull your trailer to this rally and participate in the seminars, the Saturday (Feb 13, 2010) Open House is free and the public is encouraged to attend. The "official" hours of the open house are noon to 4, but you will find people willing to "talk trailer" pretty much anytime between first coffee and evening dinner.

Bottom line, try out at least two or three units to see if there is a fit between the unit and your family prior to writing the WBCCI off.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Shane
First Welcome to AIR FORUMS. Airforums has rallys also. 87MH is correct "most jabs are at the National Orginazation" Its not the local people,the blue collar guy out here in the trenches,thats funding the camping and travel expenses of those in high places.We have camped with members and they are wonderful people.So if you like POMP and CEREMONY and dont care what your dues money is used for, By all means JOIN. But we have just as much fun campin without all that.
Just one persons opinion. Please do what you are comfortable with.BEST OF LUCK TO YOU and YOURS
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
My wife and I were undecided about joining WBCCI. We attended the vintage rally for two years meeting a lot of the club members. They are a great and fun group so we joined.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
O.K., I will ask a naive question. Is it possible to join a local unit and not the national?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
O.K., I will ask a naive question. Is it possible to join a local unit and not the national?
Nope
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
As things stand I believe it is not possible. I would certainly like to join the New England Unit because I feel this aspect of the Club would suit my needs fully and completely. I have absolutely no interest in camping anywhere that is more than eight hours drive from home because of time constraints.

However what would happen if someone applied to the WBCCI national administration for a "waiver" of this requirement.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I am sure the International would refuse. They need the money.