Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
While at the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club Rally in Creede, CO, I discussed our proposal to charter a new unit with Tom Collier, the incoming 3d VP of WBCCI. He was supportive but certain that the unit's name must include the name of a state. Sure enough, it's a bylaw:

Names of Units All names will be geographical in nature and will represent a geographical area other than a state. The official name of the Unit must also include the name of the State in which most of its members retain residence, but no Unit shall be assigned any exclusive territory.
(6/20/77)
Ken--My suggestion would be to ignore this rule when applying for the charter. If denied I would appeal to the TOP. Go past everyone in between and ask the new internation president, Don Shafer, for an exemption to this rule based on 2 things. One not all units have the state name in them as someone else has pointed out and point out what he said in the Blue Beret editorial HE wrote. I quote,"All I can say for sure is that times and people are changing and if WBCCI is to continue , some managed changes may be necessary." Quit frankly this rule chaps me!! It's just another little hoop they make you jump through to be part of "them". The purpose of this this unit as I understand it is to get back to the basics of the club, that being to get out and enjoy camping with others of like interest. These little petty rules take me back to the reasons I had previusly decided to not renew my WBCCI membership, that being endless luncheons that have little to do with Airstream activities or camping.---pieman

Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Cease Fire, Cease Fire...

Regarding the name, here are my thoughts...
We would like to establish a new unit, wouldn't we?
Would we rather go down to defeat over the name, or pick a name that complies with existing bylaws and policies?

Airstream25 had a thoughtful compromise; NM & Greater Southwest Camping Unit.

Leipper has been providing some sage advice off-line. He thinks the paragraph that I quoted regardng the "State Name" is policy and not bylaw and therefore subject to waiver. This I intend to investigate.

There was great support among interested bystanders and supporters at the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally, for "The Four Corners Camping Unit."

By the way, we picked up two new Prospective Charter Members, one from oregon and one from California. So here are the numbers:

AZ 3
CA 1
CO 3
NM 7
OR 1

Total 15

As you can see, we lost the prospective charter member from Kansas.

You may resume firing.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Nice Graphic, Fred...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind

Here's some raw material for designing a Unit Decal:

which seems to capture visually the goals of this proposed new unit.
Hey Fred,
I just backtracked into this thread and saw your post. Like your suggestions, love your graphic! It pretty much captures 90% of our most popular destinations.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Ken---Did not intend to "Fire", nor do I think this is something that we would ever want to allow a defeat or division. I also realize that there have to be rules and by-laws to operate by. That said, rules should have a principle that they are based on. I look at it like looking into my closet. From time to time I clean it out. Some things are out of style, some out dated, these I throw out. As far as names go, althought my other post may not sound like it ,it makes absolutly no difference to me what name is selected so long as that is left up to those forming the new unit. With WBCCI loosing numbers yearly one would think they would be doing all they could to encourage new membership and new units. I think a look through their rules closet and clean out all but the most esential and allow some freedom within the units would be beneficial.----pieman
Old 08-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I Could Not Agree More...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I think a look through their rules closet and clean out all but the most esential and allow some freedom within the units would be beneficial.----pieman
As I read and re-read the WBCCI Constitution and Bylaws (CBL), I am struck by how outdated certain language and policies have become. That being said, we must pick our battles carefully. If we can get this unit chartered, it will be a huge step toward a more non-traditional approach. Once chartered, the members who really care about changing the CBL may tilt at that windmill if they wish.

There are now two non-traditional units that give us much to consider, the Washington DC Unit (WDCU) and the Heart of Texas Camping Unit (HOTCU). The WDCU has used the wolf in sheeps clothing approach. If you read their CBL, you would think it the most conventional unit in the WBCCI. Their CBL in no way captures their innovative approach or reflects their modern approach to communications.

The HOTCU's CBL captures their non-traditional approach in a very non-confrontational way. It complies with all the "thou shalts" and "thou shalt nots" while still expressing a very innovative, new approach. David Tidmore, who got this new unit chartered, was at the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally in Creede. He offered much sound advice. I would call his apprach compliant but quietly defiant. That too may work best for us.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Ken-- I respect your patience and attitude toward this. Perhaps your military background make you more of a strategist than many of us. I admit when I see things that need change I tend to be impulsive and often confrontational.----pieman

{keep-em busy while I reload}
Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
This Just In...

From our newest, prospective, charter member:

Quote:
Ken,

Count me in as a charter member!

Thanks for your consideration. Let me know what I need to do to join up and assist, or point me in the right direction.

I think the future of the organization lies in proactive individuals such as yourself and others of a like mind. As the demographics of Airstream ownership change, existent units have to adapt or whither. Simultaneously, new unit can form as demand dictates. I commend you on your effort and drive. After all, isn't fun, challenge, and adventure what it is all about?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
And Another...

Another prospective charter member.

Quote:
Hi Ken,

How about a wayward, currently unaffiliated charter member from (take your pick) OR or FL. I can lend my support to your new unit if you need a few more WBCCI #'s to meet the requirements.

Keep me posted......................
Now all we need is a provisional charter!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Ken-- I respect your patience and attitude toward this. Perhaps your military background make you more of a strategist than many of us. I admit when I see things that need change I tend to be impulsive and often confrontational.----pieman

{keep-em busy while I reload}
Sheesh...this all reminds me of the years I spent up to my neck in the politics of running a political action committee for a professional organization of 5000 members.

All the dang mavens and their By-Laws fights and turf wars over what could be done and not done, and what could be supported under "proper" interpretation and what couldn't, and who was included and who was excluded....who was compliant and honored tradition and who didn't, and who were rebels and who weren't....labeling and blame fixing, and king building.....and constant STRATEGIZING and vote counting, and finger wetting, and monitoring over EVERY decision that I made for years trying to move an organization out of "the way it had always been done" into greater effiency and self reliance.

Many times when I saw things that needed change, I would meet with my Board to recommend a course of action, and all I got was resistance....and sometimes after getting all the resistance, I would just issue executive order as CEO and LEAD ANYWAY.

And sometimes, organizations deserve to DIE. No less than TWO YEARS after my final day as Chairman and CEO, due to term limits, my successors turned leadership tails and ran, outsourcing the administrative functions from Austin, to the National office 1500 miles away from the people they serve. Membership has declined precipitiously since then and the organization will die in due course.....after a storied 100 yr plus history.

I say all that to say that in picking your battles to fight, the WBCCI must also pick the battles THEY fight.

Submit the NAME you want for the unit.
Call it "The Four Corners Camping Unit" if you want to, and leave off any mention of a state if you want to....if they don't know there is only ONE FOUR CORNERS in the USA, maybe they are not as travelled as they should be.
IF WBCCI wants to deny the charter and not accept the dues money, they are cutting off their nose to spite their faces....
Then answer the question: Will the WBCCI survive long term fighting to keep people out this way??...and is that what you want to be a part of???

Organizations need to adapt....but most of the time they die instead.
WBCCI desparately NEEDS an innovative by-laws committee to trash what they have, and re-invent themselves.....but they would have to fight every old-timer in the organization that does NOT want change to do it.

I am tired and rambling and should just probably erase all this and not post it.

These are the types of battles I do NOT want to fight because I have spent many professional hours fighting these type political battles within a political action committee where they were amplified because it was professional politics at stake.

Fighting these kind of battles in search of relaxation away from professional pressures is not my idea of recreation.

I may ulitmately decide to pay WBCCI dues through this newly chartered unit, because it would meet my needs much better than the local Lubbock TX unit, but my tolerance for by-laws fighting and exclusiveness for the sake of "that is the way we have always done it and we don't want to change", over inclusiveness and moving forward, is limited.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 08-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Organizational Transformation...

Hey Dave,
Much of what you say rings true and familiar.
I was talking to Mr. Inside Out about this very topic while at the RMVR in Creede. A portion of my MPA was focused on learning "transformation management," which I subsequently put to good use in the 90s transforming certain Marine Corps Aviation Command and Control Units to make them more responsive and relevant to the evolving needs of the warfighter. Paradoxically, the most ossified and irrelevant units came alive to resist change most vigorously.

Almost all organizations will atrophy and die over time unless they actively transform themselves. Where WBCCI is concerned, I believe transformation will come at the unit level where it really matters. Anyone who wants to change things at the "International" level can be my guest. Do you really want to travel to Georgia in July to propose an amendment to the CBL? Ask Forrest how much good it did him in Salem.

As for the name, we will probably be asked to propose a couple options for Region 11 to consider. I have found precedent for a geographical place name in these exiting units:

New England Unit (64)
Delmarva Unit (26)
Midwest (54)

So, either the "Southwest Camping Unit," or "Four Corners Camping Unit" will probably be acceptable.

Let me know when I can add you to our list of prospective charter members.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The check is in the mail if we can get decals like the one 47 WeeWind posted! Look great with an AS parked in front of the Hogan.

Dennis
Durango CO
Old 08-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #96
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
OK Dennis, put 'er check in the mail.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fourcorners1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	24920  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Nice Work flyfshr!...

Just think, our first check for membership dues is in the mail!

That makes a nice 4x6 print. I should have no problem making decals for charter members, but first I'm going to see if 47Weewind has a higher resolution image he can PM us. If he does, I'll let you photoshop it before I go into production. I want Dennis to have the nicest decal possible.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Upgraded decal

Brad: That's one real SWEET decal, nice body job on it. Ken: I'm sorry to report I don't have another image in any higher resolution, , but I'll keep my eyes out for one.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Closed Thread