Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Greater Southwestern CyberUnit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
How about an interested party in AZ? Does that count too? Sounds like my kinda place especially the fishing.

Brad
FF
Thanks for your interest, Brad.
Since we now have folks in Arizona and Colorado expressing their interest, it would no longer be appropriate to give it a name that constrains it to New Mexico. As a charter member you would help us write the Constitution and Bylaws (CBL) and select the best most descriptive name. Since the Airstream Forums will be our "cyberhome" we can be geographically unconstrained. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of the draft CBL I'm working on.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Old 07-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Well Let's See...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Ken-
You know you are going to be President of this in perpetuity, right?
If you offered to be 1st VP, then it could be reduced from perpetuity to one year. Come on, you know you love Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Paid Your Dues Yet?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
I guess I should be more explicit. Our main membership is with the DenCo unit; we're associate members (or whatever it's called) of the current NM unit. When the new NM unit gets rolling, we'll switch our associate membership from the current NM unit to the new unit.

One question is what to do about the current NM website. But maybe we should talk that over offline.

Lynn
Greetings Lynn, Hope all is well in Angel Fire.
I have promised Shari that I will not recruit from DenCo, but you really would be a natural for the "Enchanted Trails Greater Southwestern Cyber Unit."
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Ken,
I really like your idea. After all the primary reason we own an Airstream is for camping and getting away from the grind of business. The boardroom is the last thing on my mind when we hook-up and pull the Tin Cabin down the road. Hiking, Fishing, Good Eating and Good Drinking with friends now that is how we define fun. There are sooo many great destinations between Albuquerque and Phoenix, a Southwest Regional Unit with camping being the primary focus is group we would join. Keep the ideas coming and let me know how I can help
Brent
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

Old 07-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Well, Since You Asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Ken,
I really like your idea. After all the primary reason we own an Airstream is for camping and getting away from the grind of business. The boardroom is the last thing on my mind when we hook-up and pull the Tin Cabin down the road. Hiking, Fishing, Good Eating and Good Drinking with friends now that is how we define fun. There are sooo many great destinations between Albuquerque and Phoenix, a Southwest Regional Unit with camping being the primary focus is group we would join. Keep the ideas coming and let me know how I can help
Brent
Thanks for the kind words, Brent.
All I need is the names of ten Airstream owners who want to charter such a unit and who are willing to pay their $55.00 International Dues through said unit. The way I see it, it can be "win-win"... we stay with WBCCI and we help improve and evolve into a relevant organization for today's Airstreamers. In so doing we will compliment and support the existing, traditional units. PM me with your contact information if you want to help get this concept off the ground.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #20
Batty Matty

1975 31' Sovereign
1957 16' Bubble
1958 18' "Footer"
Sedan , New Mexico
Love it!

I love the idea of a new unit of the less formal nature than some. I have been a member of two units, one more traditional, the other a bit more iconoclastic. I'm in the second (WDCU) style, and although older than most, still young enough to enjoy pot luck suppers and rallies in a farmer's field. This year I hosted CBR along with the property owner's family and had a blast. Plan to have rally space for 15 or so rigs on my own place in Sedan. (Hint, hint and shameless self promotion. ;^)> )

I would be willing to join as a full member, but enjoy the "easterners" too much to ever leave WDCU. If I could join through both units, I would. (Two votes? Two Save Wallys? Why do I think that would go over like flatulence in the choir loft?)

We already have the blue beret, the blue baseball cap and the blue bandana. How about the blue Stetson?

Matt
Old 07-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Here is another from Southern Colorado

Ken,

We are in southern Colorado and can't get down to the Land of Enchantment often enough. We would enjoy having others in the area share their favorite spots in the Southwest. We are not yet members of any chapter but would me most interested in Southwest region organization.

Colo_StreamN
K0JEH,
WBCCI # 5630

Pikes Peak, Colorado
FCU
TAC CO-1
Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, I don't recall for sure -- don't have a blue book at hand -- but it seems to me that the standard units are defined by region; only the intraunits are defined by interest.

Now, the idea of creating a new unit down here is a little problematic because, as the discussion has shown, there's interest from areas that cover a couple of different existing units.

Ok, I don't think it's a good idea to "kidnap" folks into a new unit from several existing units when using the geographic definition. On the other hand, starting a new intraunit brings on its own issues; perhaps someone else can work on this angle.

Note, though, that it is not at all necessary to live in a region in order to be a member of the unit defined by that region. (Back when we had NM as our main membership, I recall seeing a membership list: There were folks from all over creation listed as members there.)

Perhaps, then, it's perfectly fine to start a new, non-encroaching, geographically defined NM unit. Just state in its goals what the unit is up to, what it's purpose/goal is. I mean, if you've got a NM unit that digs on camping in Alaska, that's perfectly legit!

Lynn
Old 07-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #23
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Thanks for the kind words, Brent.
All I need is the names of ten Airstream owners who want to charter such a unit and who are willing to pay their $55.00 International Dues through said unit. The way I see it, it can be "win-win"... we stay with WBCCI and we help improve and evolve into a relevant organization for today's Airstreamers. In so doing we will compliment and support the existing, traditional units. PM me with your contact information if you want to help get this concept off the ground.
If you build it, we will join....
Let me know what I need to do.
Would I have to join now as a MAL and then transfer?
Could I join the WDC Unit ($1.00) and then transfer?
Should I wait for your provisional charter?
Can anyone tell me it the number 1024 (my bday) is being used?
Ken, I still like the name that I PM'd you.
Since this unit will be centered by NM, AZ, CO & UT
4 Corners Unit

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 07-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The usual way to start up a new Unit is to have it grow out of group campouts - or at least that's the way it was back in the sixties and earlier.

i.e. Schedule your outings, publicise them, see who shows up. If you can get ten or so to show up on a regular basis, then you know you have sufficient interest to organize as a Unit in WBCCI.

It is a common trap to depend upon what people say rather than what they do. This is why you need to depend upon attendees at events and not 'cyber' BS. Talk is cheap. Getting people out camping is priceless.

From the 'tude I often see here, I fear misplaced motivations that could lead to misperceptions and longer term disapointments. The group has to form with its intent on camping and not on a "I'll show you" ethic. Camping has longevity. Confrontation evaporates over time. Watch out for those who are supporting the group for the wrong reasons.

Your name needs to include the name of the State where most members have residence. That might be a WBCCI bylaw to change but there are interesting arguments on both sides of the issue.

I also suggest separating governance from function and from training. You need all aspects but they don't have to be enshrined together as, for instance, a whole slew of VPs and offices as in the Unit Planning Guide. This is another paradigm shift to work on with WBCCI.

If you need help with bylaws and a history of a Unit that has 'been there, done that, and is doing it' along the lines you are talking, send me a PM.

But, first and foremost, get your group together and start by doing what you want to do. The organization will follow. Don't put the cart ahead of the horse.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
And never underestimate the power of stupid people in committees.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #26
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
Your name needs to include the name of the State where most members have residence. That might be a WBCCI bylaw to change but there are interesting arguments on both sides of the issue.
What about these units?
Paso del Norte
El Camino Real
New England
White Mountains
Cape Cod
Midwest

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
What about these units?
Good point. In going back to the Blue Book I note that the 'name to include state' clause is a _policy_ and not a bylaw.

This underscores how important it is to read carefully when browsing the Blue Book!

The stuff of interest in forming a unit is in section VI of the bylaws and policies "Club Organization" http://wbcci.org/documents/ACF2154.pdf

Very interesting to compare what is bylaw and what is policy. I can see a good source for confusion. (and some interesting implications)

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
However...

"Paso del Norte" is officially listed as "Paso del Norte Texas"
"El Camino Real" is officially listed as "El Camino Real California"
"White Mountains" is officially listed as "White Mountains New Hampshire"
"Cape Cod" is officially listed as "Cape Cod Massachusetts"

There really are only two or so "non-state/providence name" Units - New England & Midwest

Then there is "Delmarva" which is a combo of the state names Delaware/Maryland/Virginia. So put those thinking caps on "New Aricoltah" doesn't quite roll off my tongue...but then, maybe it does!!!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Closed Thread