Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancreek
I just stumbled upon this thread and boy, am I glad I did! I have been considering joining the local WBCCI here in Big D, or actually just been considering going to a unit meeting first to see what it was like. Sounds like sheer torture to me! Do they use Roberts Rules of Parliamentary Procedure and all that stuff?? Sure smacks of a Bible-beating church service to me where the true message and intent of being there (loving fellowship of like-minded folks) is totally lost with all the hate-mongering and excluding going on!! Now I'm not prone to do this ordinarily, but this kind of lights me up, being on the receiving end of some of the hate-mongering going on in the US today from members of the so-called "right". Get it? wink, wink I think if you guys do form a unit under any auspices I would love to join up, if you'd have a 50 something "spinster" (wink, wink) from Dallas who considers Northern New Mexico a piece of heaven and a second home. I will not waste a moment of my time in an atmosphere which does not promote joyful fellowship, relaxation, fun and authentic friendships in the beautiful outdoors. I had enough of that when I worked all the time! Also, please forgive if I offended any of you with my characterization of the "right". I do attend Church, but I'm a major lefty!
Confession is good for the soul. We'll pray for you.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #156
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
over59

Confession of being a lefty or a spinster is good for the soul? I'll pray for you, too! And while you're praying for me, would you pray that I don't break my back while trying to put the Rv cover on my Bambi!?

Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Confession of being a lefty or a spinster is good for the soul? I'll pray for you, too! And while you're praying for me, would you pray that I don't break my back while trying to put the Rv cover on my Bambi!?
With all this praying going on good stuff may start happening any time now.

You intend to cover the whole trailer? Most recommend again it. Do a search or start a thread and you may save your back, and your Bambi.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
I just stumbled upon this thread and boy, am I glad I did! I have been considering joining the local WBCCI here in Big D, or actually just been considering going to a unit meeting first to see what it was like. Sounds like sheer torture to me! Do they use Roberts Rules of Parliamentary Procedure and all that stuff?? Sure smacks of a Bible-beating church service to me where the true message and intent of being there (loving fellowship of like-minded folks) is totally lost with all the hate-mongering and excluding going on!! Now I'm not prone to do this ordinarily, but this kind of lights me up, being on the receiving end of some of the hate-mongering going on in the US today from members of the so-called "right". Get it? wink, wink I think if you guys do form a unit under any auspices I would love to join up, if you'd have a 50 something "spinster" (wink, wink) from Dallas who considers Northern New Mexico a piece of heaven and a second home. I will not waste a moment of my time in an atmosphere which does not promote joyful fellowship, relaxation, fun and authentic friendships in the beautiful outdoors. I had enough of that when I worked all the time! Also, please forgive if I offended any of you with my characterization of the "right". I do attend Church, but I'm a major lefty!

Indiancreek,

There are 140+- units in WBCCI with 140+- individual personalties. We belong to El Camino Real and are associates with South Coast, both in Southern California. These two units have different personalities, but we enjoy both. ECR has about 80 members and the rallies have about 25 rigs, SC has about 25 members and is lucky to have 10 rigs at a rally.

Check out the Dallas unit before you condemn them, if their personality fits you join, if not find another.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
I will not waste a moment of my time in an atmosphere which does not promote joyful fellowship, relaxation, fun and authentic friendships in the beautiful outdoors.
You are much more likely to find those things you seek with your local WBCCI Unit than you are in this thread.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
It got there because of the reasons given for the formation of a new unit and the rationalizatopms for its formation.

To me, a key factor is that this idea for a Unit came about not through the process of a group of friends getting together at times and then deciding to organize but rather as a means to avoid working within the system to effect change. That is the competition that was of concern and I think it is a valid concern.

Camping may be what some say it is all about but look at what drives their behavior. It is anything but camping. If it was only camping then all the bitching about rules that don't exist and philosophies and protocol and organization would sink into their proper perspective.

Anyone reading this thread should see several choices. One is to learn and understand and find out what is going on. It is tolerant of others and looks for ways to coexist and cooperate. I don't see much of that here. Instead I see confrontation, combativeness, challenges, assuming the worst, questionable perceptions, and discord. And that worries me.
I believe you and Chester should go have a weekend together. You seem of like mind.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 09-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #161
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
klevan

Sorry for the diversion. I am serious about knowing more about your progress with your new Unit. Would love to come to NM or anywhere in the Four Corners and hang out with you.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
David, I suggest that the ad hominem is not a good practice to engage in.

I am wondering if your comment is eschewing the idea of trying to learn and understand. It sure sounds like it. If so, why?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Positive consequences of disapproval are ...

Bryan:

Since you seem to understand and approve of his action, could you please list here for me all the positive consequences flowing from Region 11's First V.P., Chester Haughawaut's, disapproval of a one year provisional charter for the proposed Four Corner's Camping Unit? Thank you!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #164
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I too am not happy with the R11 VP's rejection of the FCU. I am also apalled at some of the comments being made by "old school" WBCCI leadership.

Quote:
In this case, it wasn't a group of folks who had a need to organize their activities but rather a group of discontents with no track record who wanted to organize without demonstrated need for that organization.
The above quote comes from the WBCCI forum area.

I was to host the first rally for the new FCU. I would like to go ahead with the rally if I can get enough interest. Look for a thread in the near future to spell out the details for this event.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
First Phantom Unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I was to host the first rally for the new FCU. I would like to go ahead with the rally if I can get enough interest. Look for a thread in the near future to spell out the details for this event.
Hi Azflycaster:

As you know, there are many ghost towns in the Southwest. Well, in that vein, the officially disapproved Four Corners Camping Unit can proclaim its existence effective as of the disapproval date, September 21, 2006, and operate as the first WBCCI "Phantom Unit" in the nation. Or maybe it should just wear its fate and operate as a "formally disapproved" unit. After all, the prospective new unit members are not the losers; the WBCCI is the loser. So I say "Fun Forward" and let the unit propser!

Some wise travel trailer club may eventually come along and try to sign up the new unit. Who will be the first on the doorstep: the Tin Can Tourists? The Good Sam Club? Some other club or one yet to be formed?

Maybe we can call ourselves the "Chesternuts" in honor of our liberator and wear enlarged acorn caps as headgear. Our theme song will be crooned by Nat King Cole on the Ipod while we nip a little Jack Frost. Can Chip and Dale be our mascots? So much to talk about, so Let's Party! Keep that first Rally date on the calendar, Azfc, and tell me when and where to quietly appear. See you down the trail.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 09-25-2006, 08:14 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Bryan:

Since you seem to understand and approve of his action, could you please list here for me all the positive consequences flowing from Region 11's First V.P., Chester Haughawaut's, disapproval of a one year provisional charter for the proposed Four Corner's Camping Unit? Thank you!
Fred. thanks for beating me to the asking while I was mowing the yard.

Bryan, please.....let's hear all the positives consequences flowing from towing the party line on this one. And do educate us so that we might "learn" why we are so ignorant.

AIR # 410
Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Sheesh...this all reminds me of the years I spent up to my neck in the politics of running a political action committee for a professional organization of 5000 members.

All the dang mavens and their By-Laws fights and turf wars over what could be done and not done, and what could be supported under "proper" interpretation and what couldn't, and who was included and who was excluded....who was compliant and honored tradition and who didn't, and who were rebels and who weren't....labeling and blame fixing, and king building.....and constant STRATEGIZING and vote counting, and finger wetting, and monitoring over EVERY decision that I made for years trying to move an organization out of "the way it had always been done" into greater effiency and self reliance.

Many times when I saw things that needed change, I would meet with my Board to recommend a course of action, and all I got was resistance....and sometimes after getting all the resistance, I would just issue executive order as CEO and LEAD ANYWAY.

And sometimes, organizations deserve to DIE. No less than TWO YEARS after my final day as Chairman and CEO, due to term limits, my successors turned leadership tails and ran, outsourcing the administrative functions from Austin, to the National office 1500 miles away from the people they serve. Membership has declined precipitiously since then and the organization will die in due course.....after a storied 100 yr plus history.

I say all that to say that in picking your battles to fight, the WBCCI must also pick the battles THEY fight.

Submit the NAME you want for the unit.
Call it "The Four Corners Camping Unit" if you want to, and leave off any mention of a state if you want to....if they don't know there is only ONE FOUR CORNERS in the USA, maybe they are not as travelled as they should be.
IF WBCCI wants to deny the charter and not accept the dues money, they are cutting off their nose to spite their faces....
Then answer the question: Will the WBCCI survive long term fighting to keep people out this way??...and is that what you want to be a part of???

Organizations need to adapt....but most of the time they die instead.
WBCCI desparately NEEDS an innovative by-laws committee to trash what they have, and re-invent themselves.....but they would have to fight every old-timer in the organization that does NOT want change to do it.

I am tired and rambling and should just probably erase all this and not post it.

These are the types of battles I do NOT want to fight because I have spent many professional hours fighting these type political battles within a political action committee where they were amplified because it was professional politics at stake.

Fighting these kind of battles in search of relaxation away from professional pressures is not my idea of recreation.

I may ulitmately decide to pay WBCCI dues through this newly chartered unit, because it would meet my needs much better than the local Lubbock TX unit, but my tolerance for by-laws fighting and exclusiveness for the sake of "that is the way we have always done it and we don't want to change", over inclusiveness and moving forward, is limited.
I think what I said 5 weeks ago still makes sense, especially in light of the Chester Edict.

AIR # 410
Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
And never underestimate the power of stupid people in committees.
What I said 8 weeks ago makes sense too.

AIR # 410
Closed Thread