Old 03-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Decals or plaques?

59Toaster: No, I'm not sure that they are decals as opposed to aluminum plaques; my statement is simply a guess based on the small photos and personal experience. I've seen the remains of Wally Byam's Caravan decals on old trailers, but I've not yet seen one in the form of an aluminum plaque. They very well could be aluminum plaques, but until I see one in person I'll not state they came that way. They also could be decals applied to aluminum plates cut to the size of the decal and then riveted to a trailer. I've seen that done with red numbers. I hope to view the above 1957 Overlander in the near future and will report my findings. In the meantime, has anyone actually seen a Wally Byam's Caravan aluminum plaque?

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks Fred!
Look foward to hearing what you find with the sticker or Plaque.

Eric

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
I just realized that we have two of these caravan plates! They came with our '52 Cruiser - never used - together with a letter and installation instructions. They were sent to the owner in MN from Bakersfield, CA, on Feb. 5, 1958. They plates are aluminum with a red! painted background. I'll post pics FYI.
Enjoy,
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: bmp copy of byam0001.bmp (94.4 KB, 350 views)
Old 03-23-2004, 04:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
My plate pic posted oddly; never had that happen before. If folks can't open it, I'll try to post again.

The letter and instructions were illegible at the required file size, so I'll try to upload to my photo section. The instructions in part are as follows:

"On a Wally Byam Caravan everyone MUST have a trailer number...

"...Each trailer must also have one of our standard Wally Byam Caravan plaques. This plaque will be furnished to each trailer without cost and goes above the front and rear windows. It is 4" high, so leave room for it under your number.

"We have found that the best place for the Wally Byam Caravan Club insignia is just above the number -- front and back.

"In other words, directly over the front and rear window will be the Wally Byam Caravan plaque. Directly over the plaque will be the number. Directly above the number will be the Caravan Club decal."

Yes, maam!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Thanks for hard facts, Cruiser!

Cruiser: Great post with the photo of the Wally Byam's Caravan aluminum plaque and the installation Instructions. Now we're getting somewhere with solid molecular evidence and unassailable historical documentation. Lovin' it!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:42 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Fred,

Could you look up "Charles & Lottie Rector" in one of your pre-1975 Wally Byam directories? They lived in Pendleton, Oregon. If you find them, what were their numbers? Thanks!

- Charlie
Old 03-23-2004, 05:04 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Wally Byam Caravan plaque

I think I've figured out how to post the pics so all can see:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plaque0001.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	5364  
Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Instructions

Yea! It worked. Here's another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	byam0005.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5365  
Old 03-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
letter

last one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	byam0006.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	5366  
Old 03-23-2004, 05:30 PM   #24
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Awesome job Doug! ! Fred, you paying attention to this? This is great stuff here. Anyone else have old - sorry - vintage paperwork that came with their vintage units? All I have is a set of coffee mugs from the Midwest Unit of the WBCC before they went international.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Wally Byam Caravan plaque

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruiser
I think I've figured out how to post the pics so all can see:
Wanna sell them?

Ok I just went out and looked and measures. The plaque on ours was 3.75 x 8.5 What does that one measure?

The coach is backed up to our garage with the flood lights pointed at it. I stood on the rear bumper to measure and saw something. I Never noticed this before but there is a round outline about 4 inches in diameter dead center about 14 inches above the plaque....I bet it was a international sticker.

Could not see any WBCCI out lines even with that odd angle of light.
So does that mean our coach has been overseas on a caravan?

Fred:

The name of the people my Father-in-law bought the coach from is Charles R. sr and Kathaleen s. Brown of Snellville GA. That is dated aug 15, 1980.

As far as we can tell they are the original owners. We have original KH brake controler, Reece paper work and instructions sheets all dated 57 to 59. So we have what we think is the majority of the paperwork and no other name is on it.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:01 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Re: Re: Wally Byam Caravan plaque

Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster

I stood on the rear bumper to measure and saw something. I Never noticed this before but there is a round outline about 4 inches in diameter dead center about 14 inches above the plaque....I bet it was a international sticker.
Cool!
So now you have a dilema: will you polish away this shadow of history?

I measured our plaque: 3-13/16 x 8-1/2, looks like it's right on! Is it for sale? Well, everything has a price, but unless it's REALLY good, I think we'll keep 'em, thanks!

They're so shiny new, I hope I can actually bring myself to drill holes through them to rivet them on.

Doug
Old 03-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Doug:

They are not replaceable. I would put them in plastic bags or a folder documenting the coach and go with stickers. I'm about to place a order with Airstream dreams and a pair of Red stickers will be ordered. They will be put on the original plaques.

Very neat find!

I love the fact that I now know what they are and I hope Fred has some luck with confirming where our coach may have been and what it's WBCCI numbers were.

I tried to reverse look up the Browns. They no longer live at the address we have for them. Tried a search on Google and not coming up with anything. They may not be with us anymore. Most air streams do not part with their coaches till they can no longer enjoy them,
Old 03-23-2004, 08:36 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Calling Caravaner Member #5759

Very cool!! I was away a couple of days, and love the direction this thread has gone. To find original plates and the supporting paperwork is awesome. I've always been interested in the history of the collectible vehicles I've owned, and also the various houses we've restored. Now, here are my ghost numbers, 5759, and I'm sure the Wally Byam Caravan Club on my trailer was a rectangular sticker. The only information I have is from the title. My Overlander was registered to a John Shenkir of Pasadena Texas previous to the guy I bought it from, who sold it only after a month of ownership. Whether Mr Shenkir was a long time owner I have no idea. I do know that somebody took relatively good care of the Overlander, since it had all original fittings, uphostery and tile. I'm dreaming of meeting the previous caravaner, and discovering a wealth of pictures, perhaps even my airstream is a veteran of the Latin American or European adventures. Thanks to anyone who can provide some information to fill in the gaps. Mike