Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2003, 06:32 PM   #1

Wally Byam beret

Please help! I have been searching for anyone who has or sells the classic Wally Byam beret. There's one on ebay... but some guy has it up to $42. Why in the world doesn't Airstream still offer these?
Diane'sOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
The WBCCI

The Club is not run by Airstream. Maybe you can buy from The Wally Byam Caravan Club International. (WBCCI)

The Beret is a "device" for identifying members Of the WBCCI, not an owner of an Airstream. (although you have to own or have owned an Airstream to be a member).

Check out this site: WWW.WBCCI.org

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wally Byam beret

The WBCCI Wally Byam/Blue Beret is available through the club store. They have been sold at every International Rally that I have attended. The vintage berets were typically made of wool, and some are collected for that reason as well as the original manufacturer if the tag is still present. The current blue berets are manufactured of synthethic materials, and some with whom I have spoken feel that the vintage wool berets have a more luxurious color and texture.

The last information that I had indicated that local unit officers should have access to the club store catalog.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:36 AM   #4
qqq
4 Rivet Member

I saw a guy on TV wearing a green uniform and a similar beret reading some notes...

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqq
I saw a guy on TV wearing a green uniform and a similar beret reading some notes...

Hart
I think that was this guy. He hasn't been to any rallies lately. We lost track of him somewhere in Bolivia.
Attached Images

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
This beret listed on ebay does not look like the original wool one. It looks like the late model one I wore when I was a local president back in 1999. I think the WBCCI store still sells them for under $10.00. We usually keep a couple in our local inventory for our members. The wool felt ones are really rare and usually only worn be really old devoted members.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile I wouldn't wear that beret in Miami...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think that was this guy. He hasn't been to any rallies lately. We lost track of him somewhere in Bolivia.
I think he had a caravan in Cuba too. Some of his friends stayed behind.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Blue Beret - Priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane'sOverlander
Please help! I have been searching for anyone who has or sells the classic Wally Byam beret. There's one on ebay... but some guy has it up to $42. Why in the world doesn't Airstream still offer these?
The "classic" blue wool beret were imported from France. And for many years was the standard. Caravanners wanted something lighter, washable and the change was made from one product to the other.

Regardless, the Blue Beret is the symbol for the Club and Wally Byam and should be worn proudly by all members. Especially on Caravans and at Rallies. When you go to town to shop or whatever it shows the locals that you are part of a wonderful club and organization, with deep-rooted traditions.

Original berets are probably not readily available. If an original beret is available it is priceless. Not a million dollars, but what ever you feel it is worth to you.

Pee Wee Schwamborn
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
Regardless, the Blue Beret is the symbol for the Club and Wally Byam and should be worn proudly by all members...When you go to town to shop or whatever...
No thank-you.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
RE: The Blue Beret - Priceless

PeeWee,

Thanks for the explanation of the symbolism and tradition of the Blue Berets. Was it something that Wally wore as a part of his everyday apparel, and thus became the club symbol? I ask that because my grandfather wore one of those British caps with the button on top all his life, but then he didn't start any great clubs like the WBCCI.

As a new member of the WBCCI, I didn't understand the berets. I also didn't understand the dress code requiring sport coats and ties at the meetings. I still think a nice official WBCCI logo "golf shirt" and slacks would update the club and be something that many would wear off the rally grounds into the communities--great advertising too. Many large corporations are going this direction these days.

At this year's International, I saw many wearing the berets, including some who I wouldn't have expected to see (younger members). I didn't see anyone wearing them off the rally site.

When the military services adopted berets for their special units in the 60s, it kind of made everyone who wore them who wasn't "pumped" for action look a little silly. Maybe that's why we get responses like the one just above mine, when it's suggested we wear them everywhere as a symbol of the club. Personally, I wouldn't wear one unless I was indoors or after sundown. Preventing further skin damage from the sun is a higher priority for me. A nice Airstream baseball style cap came with my trailer, and that does a better job for me than a beret would do.

It seems that almost everyone is comfortable wearing their WBCCI badges around their necks, as most workplaces require employees to do the same. Seeing WBCCI badges in Perry, and 100 miles away from the rally site was evidence of that.

As we newer, younger members of the club, move it into the 21st century, we need to be mindful of the traditions, and not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some people will never wear anything that someone else would like them to wear just on principal. Perhaps however, it's time for the beret to be relegated to a symbolic, ceremonial position. Updating the clubs "uniform" with something everyone would want to wear into town, may encourage more people to join, get involved in, and be a part of the leadership of this great organization.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Anyone know the model / manufacturer of the original french beret and if they're still available?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin
PeeWee,

Thanks for the explanation of the symbolism and tradition of the Blue Berets. Was it something that Wally wore as a part of his everyday apparel, and thus became the club symbol? I ask that because my grandfather wore one of those British caps with the button on top all his life, but then he didn't start any great clubs like the WBCCI.

As a new member of the WBCCI, I didn't understand the berets. I also didn't understand the dress code requiring sport coats and ties at the meetings. I still think a nice official WBCCI logo "golf shirt" and slacks would update the club and be something that many would wear off the rally grounds into the communities--great advertising too. Many large corporations are going this direction these days.

At this year's International, I saw many wearing the berets, including some who I wouldn't have expected to see (younger members). I didn't see anyone wearing them off the rally site.

When the military services adopted berets for their special units in the 60s, it kind of made everyone who wore them who wasn't "pumped" for action look a little silly. Maybe that's why we get responses like the one just above mine, when it's suggested we wear them everywhere as a symbol of the club. Personally, I wouldn't wear one unless I was indoors or after sundown. Preventing further skin damage from the sun is a higher priority for me. A nice Airstream baseball style cap came with my trailer, and that does a better job for me than a beret would do.

It seems that almost everyone is comfortable wearing their WBCCI badges around their necks, as most workplaces require employees to do the same. Seeing WBCCI badges in Perry, and 100 miles away from the rally site was evidence of that.

As we newer, younger members of the club, move it into the 21st century, we need to be mindful of the traditions, and not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some people will never wear anything that someone else would like them to wear just on principal. Perhaps however, it's time for the beret to be relegated to a symbolic, ceremonial position. Updating the clubs "uniform" with something everyone would want to wear into town, may encourage more people to join, get involved in, and be a part of the leadership of this great organization.

Randy
Randy,

You know about the blue beret. I have posted a first had article by Wally regarding the blue beret on the Sierra Nevada's website.

Wally did have thinning hair, the beret kept him warm. It was functional he could put it in his coat pocket. As he gained knowledge on Caravans he would "pop" a beret on the head of an Ambassador, a mayor or other people he greeted in receptions. As mentioned the main significance of the beret was to advertise the buying power of a Caravan when it hit the city, also to encourage dialogue between locals and Caravanners.

Today these type of traditions wane, but they are still a functional part of the WBCCI.

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
WBCCI was selling them at Perry for $8. I saw some vintage looking wool ones at the flea market going for $6. They looked very small, but were in pretty good shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of LMW.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	41946  
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
PeeWee,

I wore mine on beret day at International. was proud to do so. the beret keeps me in touch with the WBCCI's rich history.

--dave
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Valley Springs , California
When we built our Midget trailer we put a sock monkey inside and named him Frankie. For Christmas I gave my wife another one named Wally. Had to make up a beret from blue felt. Being that the patch was too detailed, I used a button. He's going to be with us when the Liner hits the road. For now they share the Midget.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wally and Frankie.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	41966  
48_liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
some of the units have found a navy blue military style beret. Others have used the AirForce beret and removed their patch and put on the WBCCI one. I still haven't found the navy blue one that I think is just the right one. If any one stumbles across one I would like to know. I wore mine on beret day in Perry as well as many other times.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #17
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Original Beret

After seeing this thread I was so concerned that I over paid for an "original" beret on ebay since everyone said the originals were very rare. So I went out to my trailer tonight and was pleased to see that my beret still had a cardboard cut out in it that said 100% Wool and Made in France. I feel like those people on the Antique Road show .

Quite honestly I don't wear mine much, but it does go everywhere with us. Like many I like the subtle traditions that Wally created.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
The standard bear-er of the WBCCI

. . . . spotted wandering around the Penn Woods Airstream Park. . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0759_edited-4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	41970  
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
... It seems that almost everyone is comfortable wearing their WBCCI badges around their necks, as most workplaces require employees to do the same. Seeing WBCCI badges in Perry, and 100 miles away from the rally site was evidence of that. Randy
Hi Randy:

As the years pass, the tip of my tongue keeps growing ... and many more easily remembered facts remain there for longer periods of time. Whether or not used as admisson tickets to very large events, name badges as a common habit among all attendees are a practical way to flick the tongue's tip, so a person's name pops out more quickly when meeting them after a long absence. Name badges also help identify people whom one has never met but would like to. So even at small gatherings, name badges help meet some practical social needs of older folks, among whom I count myself. I also try to re-introduce myself to people who I've not seen in a while ... if I remember to.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Randy:

As the years pass, the tip of my tongue keeps growing ... and many more easily remembered facts remain there for longer periods of time. Whether or not used as admisson tickets to very large events, name badges as a common habit among all attendees are a practical way to flick the tongue's tip, so a person's name pops out more quickly when meeting them after a long absence. Name badges also help identify people whom one has never met but would like to. So even at small gatherings, name badges help meet some practical social needs of older folks, among whom I count myself. I also try to re-introduce myself to people who I've not seen in a while ... if I remember to.
I chuckled as I read your post, re: tip of tongue keeps growing.

Badges also give more information than a person's name. It also displays the name of the unit and if they currently hold or previously held any type of WBCCI officer position. All of the above are great door openers to starting conversations with total strangers!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote