Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Are these berets navy blue? If so, one can still purchase French and Basque made felt berets in that colour at any decent hat shop or department store. I've also seen them in black, grey, kakhi and forest green. These are not military style, but are the traditional Basque style felt berets with satin linings.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
When I was a kid (1960') and were on a caravan we had to wear the beret everytime we left the campsite. As previously mentioned it identified who you were and gave you either free admission to sites or a discount. Without the beret there were no discounts. Try telling that to a 13 year old trying to be cool. I fought it constantly. When I look back at slides and pics from those trips there we all are wearing berets. Wish I had it now...
Tom (still #8848)
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Blue Beret

Here is a blurb I wrote for our Unit newsletter based on info from Pee Wee regarding the Blue Beret. It has links to the article he mentioned. My family members have worn Blue Berets because they were proud to be members of this unique organization and as far as I know it was always their choice, never a mandated obligation.

Pee Wee Schwamborn, son of Henry and Helen Byam Schwamborn and 2nd cousin of Wally Byam has made many generous contributions to our website regarding the history of WBCCI. Among these contributions are two articles regarding the blue beret and how, because of Wally Byam, it became associated with WBCCI.

The blue beret is more than a name on a magazine. It is a piece of headgear that became the symbol of WBCCI. The blue beret had a totally practical beginning. This practicality led to it's being adopted by the Caravanners who traveled with Wally Byam. Over time, in part because almost all pictures of Wally show him wearing a beret, it began to be used to identify the organization in the logo and other applications. Eventually it became the symbol of WBCCI.

So how did this innocent attempt to keep one's head warm become an icon? According to an article written by Wally for the Caravanner newsletter, it started on his first trip to Europe with the first Airstream to travel abroad. In attempt to do as the locals do, Wally purchased a beret while in France. In the article, Wally says, “I found the beret made wonderful trailer headgear.” He soon found that the beret was great at keeping your head warm, keeping your hair in place, and providing some protection when going in and out of low doorways. It also rolled up so you could put it in your pocket thus reducing the possibility of loosing it.

After returning home friends asked Wally were they could get one. Then on the next caravan Wally gave one to each participant. One thing led to another and before long the blue beret became as Wally said, “the official badge of .... the Wally Byam Caravan Club members.” It soon became obvious that the blue beret was practical in another unexpected way. This is highlighted in a subsequent published article titled Blue Beret Has Magic Effect. This is the story of how one Caravanner, while in Mexico, got out of receiving a traffic ticket. When the policeman saw his blue beret he tore up the ticket and said “Paseo Amigo”. The blue beret had become recognized as symbolizing a special group of people. People who were welcome visitors anyplace they went. The blue beret, proudly worn by WBCCI members not only enhanced the welcome they received, it was also a way to easily identify other Caravanners when on tours, at events, and other caravan activities.

The reason Wally initially purchased a beret, to “do as the French do”, represents his philosophy about travel and caravanning. To not just visit places but to get to know and experience the place on a first hand basis. The WBCCI Creed and the Four Freedoms written by Wally express this philosophy. So, the blue beret, which started as Wally's practical solution to a simple problem has come to represent an organization and a unique style of RV travel that is known worldwide.

Blue Beret Tradition
Wally Byam Caravan Club International, the early days
Magic Effect
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...-blueberet.jpg
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thanks for posting that Diane. That and the other postings here are very helpful to me being new to the club to understand the tradition and symbolism of the beret. The Blue Beret should always have a place in the WBCCI, and there should be times and places where wearing it is encouraged.

I too appreciate everyone wearing name tags as I'm terrible with names. I saw the badge magnet at Perry--good idea.

The club needs to move forward and recruit and retain members. My posting here was just a suggestion, in that vein.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
This is Wally and his beret

Wally Byam Beret, here is the genuine article top to bottom.
Attached Images

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #26
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Me continuing the Wally tradition at Burning Man.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	depraidabm7.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	46138  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
he would "pop" a beret on the head of an Ambassador, a mayor or other people he greeted in receptions.
Hey that sounds like 2AIR, who has pictures of those hats and the people he pops those hats upon?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Moving on to a present day good will ambassador, alive and active. Rabbit's got the spirit.
Attached Images

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally puts the blue beret on a honored official in Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hey that sounds like 2AIR, who has pictures of those hats and the people he pops those hats upon?
I just found these proofs. The first picture shows Wally with the beret in his hand. The second picture shows the crowning.

Pee Wee
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #30
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Sometimes I wonder why everyone wears the beret the way they do. Most Berets are tilted to one side, some people just put them on. Being a Blue Beret in the Civil Air Patrol (requireing members to be accepted to National Blue Beret) I dont know if I could just put on a beret without tilting it to one size, and save and shape it LOL
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
Sometimes I wonder why everyone wears the beret the way they do. Most Berets are tilted to one side, some people just put them on. Being a Blue Beret in the Civil Air Patrol (requireing members to be accepted to National Blue Beret) I dont know if I could just put on a beret without tilting it to one size, and save and shape it LOL

I tend to wear mine in a more bohemian style. in true wbcci fashion, i have been told at rallies that i'm wearing "wrong".
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #32
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
But thats what Im confused on, whats the right way to wear it?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Maybe Wally can help you.

Pee Wee
Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #34
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
But how many people wear the blue beret? I have never seen one in person to tell you the truth!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
See post 28 and photos from Branson. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...-28724-54.html
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Moving on to a present day good will ambassador, alive and active. Rabbit's got the spirit.
very funny! thanks for making me laugh today! karma on its way!
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
It's a civilian beret, not military. So, there is no right or wrong way to wear it. Direction of slouch is entirely up to the wearer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #38
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
I understand, I just feel I should know the way to wear it, if im going to wear it!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally's Wearing of the Blue, how Wally wore his beret

I had trouble posting a picture of Wally a few days ago.

If anyone wants to know how to wear a beret, here's Wally and how he wore his.

Also note he's wearing his trademark "Great Coat". You will see him wearing his coat from 1954 t0 1960 in various pictures and activities.

Pee Wee
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
There's something so friendly and Jimmy Durante-esque about Wally. Can't quite put my finger on it, but he seems like the kind of guy I would've followed to the other side of the world, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	durante.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	54885