Old 09-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

1957 16' Bubble
1958 18' "Footer"
1976 Argosy 22 Rear Door
Sedan , New Mexico
Wake Up Call to IBT

Dear Ms Morris,

Please forward the following to the members of the IBT.

This is to inform you that I am declining to renew my membership in WBCCI as a result of the scurrilous behavior of the international officers regarding the treatment of Bob Thompson, (whom I still consider to be) President of Region I. The manner of his being suspended only adds ignobility to the specious cause of the suspension. It certainly cheapens the organization, in all but the price of membership.

There are those who will decry this action with the thesis that change can be better effected from within the organization. This is perhaps true, but as any parent can tell you there are times when obstreperous children need more than a quiet remonstrance, times when a good swift hop in the butt is more appropriate. Perhaps if enough of the membership concurs in withholding financial support the allegorical hop in the butt will awaken some of the quasi-adults at WBCCI headquarters and engender a concept of reality.

I am reminded of the old saying, "If everybody gives a little, then the few will have a lot." Perhaps if a lot of everybody withheld their little, the few could be reminded from whence their lot originated. I suspect Wally knew. (You remember Wally, don't you? He's the other guy you wanted tossed out of the club.)

Matthew J (and Pamela A) Worner
WBCCI # 4971 (resigned)
VAC
WDCU #179

Old 09-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Worner View Post
(You remember Wally, don't you? He's the other guy you wanted tossed out of the club.)
Touche! Is that spot on!

I hear there is enough money in the club kitty to keep them going for all their years. But since they have been running in the red, does that money truly belong to them to squander or does it belong to the entire membership? That isn't ethical if not actually illegal, is it? Maybe they should divy it up now back to the shareholders.

Perhaps in addition to low attendance and less dues, the dwindling club numbers would affect them...but somehow I doubt it. The general membership could all be gone and I don't think they would even notice, let alone be concerned. It would mean they wouldn't even have to take their time to pretend to care about the others. Then their quality (IBT quote) membership consisting of all leaders would be kept pure of dissenters and thorns and of the lacky (IBT quote) sub class or undesirables quantity (IBT quote.) They would in all probability welcome that. It's their International Club and they aren't about to let go. We all see what is important to them. A hefty extracation reflecting no confidence in leadership and cleaning the IBT house is far more appropriate than kicking out the members acting within their rights and faulting them for complaining and unnecessary and retalitory suspensions.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
A hefty extracation reflecting no confidence in leadership and cleaning the IBT house is far more appropriate than kicking out the members acting within their rights and faulting them for complaining and trumped up unnecessary and retalitory suspensions.
Makes perfect sense.Easier said than done I'm afraid.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Matthew J (and Pamela A) Worner

While I never enjoy seeing the club losing another member,I can certainly emphasize with your post and understand your decision.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23 View Post
Makes perfect sense.Easier said than done I'm afraid.
For sure, therein lies the frustration from the bottom up. One tries to work within the system and the IBT has only to give the thumbs down and you and your issue disappears if that is their choosing. I have learned alot about the workings of WBCCI in the years I have been a member. First with stars in my eyes and now with misty eyes. Unit participation can be grand as is the intraclub experience. But there are members that gladly and enthusiastically bought into the call sent out for volunteers and have tried reaching out and working towards more responsibility only to be met with dubious response beyond the unit level.

Everyone says just go have fun...now...before they complained of a shortage and that no one wanted to or offered to work. That is was our responsibility. And now that we know better, have tested the waters and their metal, we are advised to go sit back down and leave all the decisions to them and occupy ourselves back at the campfire. They didn't want volunteers they wanted fresh duplicates of their own choosing, mere agents to continue on in their behalf.

photography
Old 09-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Perhaps this is a naive question, but could the units all band together and collectively elect to disolve the IBT? If the IBT is causing such trouble for the collective, why not remove it? Call it mutiny, revolution, amputation, whatever you like. It just seems that when a body has a small growth that endangers its existence, the most sensible thing to do is remove it.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Ibt

Someone please tell me why so many folk worry about what a group of old men on the IBT do.
I am a HAPPY camper member of the 4CU. I go camping with good folks and have a good time.No meetings and no politics at our rallies
I NEVER give the old men on the IBT a second thought.Most of all never let them spoil my fun or upset me.
My thought just join a unit you like and have fun.
Or you can buy the T shirt that has OLD MEN RULE and be part of a unit that support what the IBT is doing or fight them and get upset.or just dont join the WBCCI in the first place. But if your not a member please dont them.That's NOT John Deer green.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I understand what your saying, but where I have the problem is justifying spending money for a membership that will subsidize the IBT. If the IBT were removed from the equation, I'd be less cautious.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Secession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Perhaps this is a naive question, but could the units all band together and collectively elect to disolve the IBT? If the IBT is causing such trouble for the collective, why not remove it? Call it mutiny, revolution, amputation, whatever you like. It just seems that when a body has a small growth that endangers its existence, the most sensible thing to do is remove it.
I would like to make two comments.

First, "The IBT" is actually getting a bum rap here. The IBT is the International Board of Trustees, consisting of the International Officers (who together constitute the International Executive Committee) and all of the Region presidents.

The suspension of then Region 1 President Bob Thompson (and probable expulsion of Metro NY Unit President Leo Garvey in the near future) are strictly the work of the International Executive Committee. The Ethics and Grievance Committee makes its recommendation to the Executive Committee which is then free to do whatever it wants in the matter.

The Region Presidents actually make up the majority of the IBT but they have no say-so in such matters. Having heard from a number of Region officers, I know that many of them--who have been hearing from the members they represent--are opposed to this whole fiasco.

The real question is whether the International Executive Committee is going to listen to the membership or whether they are going to listen to the "College of Cardinals", so to speak, of past International Presidents, one of whom filed these grievances. So far the score is Past IP's 1, members 0.

The second comment is that yes, the question of the membership voting to dissolve the IBT is naive. The WBCCI is organized in such a way that the International Executive Committee is firmly in control of the club and able to decide what does or does not get voted upon at the Delegates Meeting. The fate of several recent membership initiatives demonstrates this.

What Units could do however, either singly or en masse, is simply end their affiliation with the WBCCI and continue as independent clubs. I know that this is being talked about in various circles.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I can tell you what I think. I think some people have to care. Before 4CU became the success it is now your unit leaders had to rub elbows with the IBT and work diligently and hard to get your charter and your name your constitution and your flag approved. From what I know it wasn't a slam dunk and all easy street. Posturing, knowlege, and diligence to order and rules was necessary. I am very glad new units like 4CU are making a great name and reputation for themselves. And I believe they have gotten back to basics and love to camp and have fun without all the rigamarole.

Other business beyond the unit level is also required. The IBT needs successors. It is timely for new choices and new officers to be considered. I think your question could be restated as why do so many people feel involved and passionate about the direction the club as a whole is going and why do they want change so badly. I know you can answer that from what you have already read in so many posts from so many members.

But just to mention the major considerations is that your club could have become Airstreams Owners Association Incorporated and dropped Wally because they said it was too hard for them to explain to people what WBCCI stands for or originates. Now most new members I think embrace the history of the club and that is the main reason they have joined and remain. The club could have become open to all Thor products and not remained an Airstream club at all the very next year after that name was voted down. All these changes were initiated by the leadership and not the membership to get more revenue. That is not an opinion that is a fact they include in the rationale for the motions. Now the next year when members aspiring to club office at the International level and cross all the t's and dot all the i's, they just so happen to have been slated for suspension after running from the floor rather than being the nominating committee's choice. Bob and Leo have both done years of hours working positively in service for the membership. They seek integrity and accountability from the highest officers of the club and back that up with works holding themselves to the very same criteria. But the IBT has the power to change the rules as it goes along with a head nod from each other. So that makes it difficult if not impossible for a single initiative to be accepted if they band together and do not want it accepted. And that is not their job, but that is how they retain control and operate with complete independence.

We pay dearly for dues to the International level of the club and increases are common and take nothing more than their decision to increase them, not even evenly across the board I might add, there is no equality in that. It is admittedly to dissuade MALs from exitence and to force them to find a unit. There is an inherent error in that method of operation.

They are flailing in their initiatives, they are runing into the red while increasing our dues, and while they are losing members yearly because of the surveys' and committees' results of what people want they choose not to act upon the information and to set up still more committees and studies to buy more time. Instead they took their reembursements to travel and spent that money and time working on decisions to make more 3 digit numbers available to more special leaders and to vote to have new special badge demarcations available for anyone who has ever been at the International level to remain distinct and not to be merely identified with their unit. They by their own words say they belong to the International Club and that means preferential treatment and carte blanche forever, only they don't have enough money for that.

There is no lack of verbage from the IBT of wanting to get rid of members that disagree. I have heard it myself in person and I count now no less than three such disparaging remarks that never should have been spoken but it just goes to show just how bold and resolute they are in what they feel they deserve and can get away with. It wasn't even an eye blinker, just rolls right from their mouths and pronounce undesirables and lackeys.

This all raises flags to me. Something is very wrong. The IBT should act on our behalf as our representatives and then come back to the fold while others get their turn. That doesn't happen.

Some body has to care, some body has to speak out. There is complacency all too rampant. And now those that cared most and gave it their best shot are examples on the wall of where the next heads will be posted. I don't know call me crazy, I just care.

photography
Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I just got a pm that I am wrong about 4CU getting their flag. Was it shelfed for the icon of an Airstream to avoid difficulties with Airstream and licensing perhaps?? Help me out here 4CU. Again I am sorry for the incorrect information. I thought by now over 1 1/2 years later it was a done deal.

photography
Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
In leu of correction I shall make another on my own. It was the Heart of Texas flag that I was thinking of. All motions were withdrawn for flags with Airstreams and the vintage logo because of Airstream dragging it's feet on trade agreements. I believe 4CU had to rewrite the motion with state logo and work on constitutional discrepancies...motion withdrawn to be resubmitted.

photography
Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
In leu of correction I shall make another on my own. It was the Heart of Texas flag that I was thinking of. All motions were withdrawn for flags with Airstreams and the vintage logo because of Airstream dragging it's feet on trade agreements. I believe 4CU had to rewrite the motion with state logo and work on constitutional discrepancies...motion withdrawn to be resubmitted.
Carol,

The Vintage Airstream Club has an approved flag. It, and other VAC merchandise, can be purchased by VAC members from me.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I was talking about at the IBT Midwinter at Perry January 2007 when 4CU applied for its charter. From my notes without relistening to the meeting I just have jotted down no vintage logo, so right now off hand I don't know if that means the vintage trailer logo or the logo for vintage but I do remember there were a couple or several motions involved with the trade licensing that the IBT decided to dismiss at that time because of pictures depicting Airstreams. The VAC did have to wait for a long time didn't it?

Thanks for clearing that up Bill. I tend to get myself messed up. I guess my point was before my technical advisers helped me was that there is a lot of work to be done outside of the unit and the dealings with IBT must be addressed and may be of a concern in some circumstances even to the groups who are based on fun, camping and getting together as a group.

But if I am going to talk so much I best have my stuff together so thank you. Keep me honest and keep me humble.

photography

Tags
bob thompson, ibt