Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: How will you vote on WBCCI motor home issue?
WBCCI member voting "yes" 4 3.17%
WBCCI member voting "no" 98 77.78%
WBCCI member voting "abstain" 0 0%
WBCCI member not voting 1 0.79%
Non-WBCCI member voting "yes" 1 0.79%
Non-WBCCI member voting "no" 22 17.46%
Non-WBCCI member voting "abstain" 0 0%
Non-WBCCI not voting 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
yukionna
your unit sounds like a unit we would like to belong to. my statement about baby boomers came from a survey done by FMCA to see why they are losing members also.
WOW! and i thought i got a discount on my MH. the dealer was getting out of the AS dealership and wanted to get rid of the MH. my deal doesn't come anywhere close to the IBT officers i bet. maybe we will attend one of your rallies this fall as my wife and i love that part of the country.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

After the posting above, my blood is boiling again. And you know, we also belong to FMCA, and another S.O.B. club that is specific, and they wouldn't dream of letting in another kind of RV of any kind..
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
yukionna
...maybe we will attend one of your rallies this fall as my wife and i love that part of the country.
Definitely send me a PM if you plan on coming out this way. We would love to have you join us camping.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
I am against SOB being members. I think the leadership is a big problem on declining membership. IMHO, instead of opening up the membership to other brands, open up the minds of the leaders to the differences in the A/S population(i.e.- families, actively employed fulltimers). I would love to attend the rally for info on maintenance, upkeep, improvements and tips to improve my rving experience. But some of the entertainment and other activities seems to be geared for the Lawrence Welk generation. Other organizations that have a large focus on us Boomers have realized the old molds aren't working. Sorry the MH folks might feel like they are slumming it if they had to go to a TT. Personally, I feel like mine is 1st class. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Someone want to explain this air/mo/ho thing?

I have no clue what this vote deal is all about...are you throwing the
"boxes our classics came in" out of the club???????
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary
I have no clue what this vote deal is all about...are you throwing the
"boxes our classics came in" out of the club???????
Here's a link to a thread that will provide you with answers to your questions.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
A little help for the "mossback"

I STILL don't have any idea what everybody is talkin' about?????
Is there some Thor cheapo mo/ho out there or do you think that mo/ho
owners are lower on the food chain because we don't have enough room
for blow-up pink flamingos?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
I STILL don't have any idea what everybody is talkin' about?????
Amendment No. 1

Proposed by: International Board of Trustees

Amend the WBCCI Constitution, Article VI, “Qualifications of Members,” Section 1, (page2) as follows:

After the words… “Airstream, Inc.” and before the words “shall be” by the insertion of the following: “OR A CLASS-A
MOTORHOME MANUFACTURED BY THE FOUR WINDS INTERNATIONAL DIVISION OF THOR INDUSTRIES,
INC.”

Article VI Section 1 would then read:

An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. OR A CLASS-A MOTORHOME MANUFACTURED BY THE FOUR WINDS INTERNATIONAL DIVISION OF THOR INDUSTRIES, INC., shall be eligible for membership.

AND

The WBCCI Constitution, Article VI, Titled “Qualifications of Members,” Section 2 B, (page2) be amended after the words...
“recreational vehicle” and before the words “ as defined in this Article” by striking of the following: ”MANUFACTURED BY AIRSTREAM, INC.”

Article VI Section 2 B would then read:

Ownership, except as otherwise provided herein, of a recreational vehicle as defined in this Article, and the payment of annual Unit and International dues to a Unit is prerequisite to retaining membership as a Regular Member.

Rationale:

WBCCI is facing a highly probable major decline in membership within the next 3 to 5 years and needs to begin to address this very critical issue now in a positive way. The largest part of the potential membership decline, over this period, will come from the Airstream Inc., decision to stop all production of Class-A motorhomes. This is because our caravanning friends, who currently own Class-A motorhomes and choose or need to continue to do so, represent approximately 20% of the Club membership, and they will be forced to leave our great Club, due to the lack of motorized product, unless we do something about it now. Not only are these members our friends, but also their volunteerism is a giant part of the life-blood of our organization. This is an issue about our friends being able to continue to be members and their tremendous value to our Club and in keeping it alive, not about product.

When the additional loss of the Class-A motorhome members is combined with our “normal” yearly loss rate of -12% over 3 to 5 years this can result in a loss of-33% to -50% of overall membership in the club, crippling the organization. As the organization begins to shrink, dues will escalate sharply to make up for lost revenues, which in turn will most likely cause other members to leave the Club. The loss in member volunteers will mean the loss of most, if not all, large events such as International, Special Event, National and Region Rallies, as well as most Club caravans.

The acceptance of the Four Winds Class-A motorhomes for WBCCI membership permits owners of these RV’s to be a part and
contribute to WBCCI as members, continuing to share their friendships and talents. Additionally, passage of this motion will allow those members that choose, as well as need, to own Class-A motorhomes to remain members and help keep the vitality of our Club.

The words “manufactured by Airstream, Inc.” are superfluous in Article VI of Section 2 B, as Section 1 of Article VI already provides the criteria for the manufacturer of eligible recreational vehicles. This also would make Section 2 consistent with Sections 3 and 4 of this same Article.

The WBCCI Constitution & Bylaws Committee recommends the issue of an “identifier,” for the Four Winds Class-A motorhomes,
not be addressed in the WBCCI Constitution i.e. this motion, but in the Bylaws and Policy Section of the Blue Book, page 56.1.
Therefore, upon passage of this motion the WBCCI International President will bring forward to the IBT for vote a motion addressing type, size and placement of this Four Winds Class-A motorhome “identifier.”

We also recognize that not all members desire to own a brand new motorized product, so acceptance of the motion will be for new, as well as used, Four Winds Class-A motorhomes.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Thanx for clearing the mo/ho issue up.

So Airstream dropped ALL mo/hos? Even the ugly ones that we don't wave
to? Wow, I thought I'd read some thing in Airstream Life about a new
Classic super dupper sell our houses mo/ho. I guess you know how I would
have voted!!!! We're off to Malhuer N.W.L.R. in southeast Oregon this
weekend...see you on the road shineys! M
Old 04-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Wow, I thought I'd read some thing in Airstream Life about a new Classic super dupper sell our houses mo/ho.
There was a new classic m/h in the works but A/S scrapped that project last year.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Even the ugly ones that we don't wave
to?
I wave to all A/S's but I doubt I will be waving to any Four Wind m/h's. It's a challenge now to differentiate between non-classic M/H's and SOB M/H's but if the Four Winds M/H's get added to the mix, I will be totally confused.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I wave to all A/S's but I doubt I will be waving to any Four Wind m/h's. It's a challenge now to differentiate between non-classic M/H's and SOB M/H's but if the Four Winds M/H's get added to the mix, I will be totally confused.
Jeez, I feel like I've been on another planet (w/our '83 310). Is the Four
Winds (nice name, ho ho) a "box" from Thor?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #53
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Jeez, I feel like I've been on another planet (w/our '83 310). Is the Four
Winds (nice name, ho ho) a "box" from Thor?
Four Winds Mandalay by Thor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mandalay1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	35791  
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
What's next? Will they allow the Four Winds M/H toy hauler?

Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Hey - check the protocol on this thread. I had already voted and yet it permitted me to vote again!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Hey - check the protocol on this thread. I had already voted and yet it permitted me to vote again!
Can't be.
The system is setup to allow one vote per login name. Perhaps your first vote didn't actually go thru.

You didn't cheat and vote twice did you???

Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Can't be.
The system is setup to allow one vote per login name. Perhaps your first vote didn't actually go thru.

You didn't cheat and vote twice did you???
I'm not smart enough to cheat!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
...What I remember hearing (and it could be just hear say) is that a new Airstream MH or Trailer is given to newly "elected" IBT officers to use during their term in office. Then at the end of their term the Airstream is offered to them for a reduced price, because of course it is now a used MH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt

I wonder if the same kind of perk will be offered if the Four Winds are allowed in. I guess it would be up to Thor as the parent company to decide if they want to continue the same type of program they offered IBT officers through Airstream...
I've been away from the forums for a couple of days and didn't get to address this, but I think it is important, so here goes.

It may have been just rumor, but in light of what I was told by the Airstream dealer who, BTW, is not an Airstream only dealer, it may be somewhere in between. He seemed pretty disgusted that he "had to give it to them".

But you can bet if it's free use of the new unit and a cheap price on a used unit that they have used since new (i.e. they got new to begin with) that the IBT wants to continue this perk and that's why they wanted to add the line that also allows used Four Winds motorhomes to be included as qualifying for membership.

By newly elected, does that mean they get a new Class-A every time they are re-elected if they sit out a term? Is this their loop-hole? As a new member I don't know the history of the IBT folks' tenure, but I seem to remember that it pretty much seems to be the same folks re-elected over and over because no body wants to make that kind of commitment to the club. You can be if they gave me a new Class-A I'd volunteer if I were retired! And you can bet they have a "gentleman's" agreement to keep that under wraps so they don't have to share that little perk with any more people than they have to. Maybe Airstream made them sign a confidentiality agreement to get the free use/free unit/discounted unit.

I would think that Thor would be happy to continue the practice with Four Winds. Why not? The IBT members get to "demonstrate" their new Four Winds models at all the WBCCI rallies for Thor and all the campgrounds they stay in and at any Mandalay rallies they happen to attend because you know Thor will give them free memberships to their Mandalay Owner's Club and whatever clubs there are for Four Winds owners. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't rigged up some kind of tier system so that the higher office you hold the more expensive Four Winds unit you get. IBT office-you get a Mandalay; Regional V.P.-you get a Hurricane! or whatever their base unit is. That's probably why they want to open it up to all Four Winds Class-A's.

Maybe all of this is just rumor, but after the dealership manager told me what he did this weekend, I certainly believe there is more to this issue than we have been told and more than meets the eye.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Let me see if I got this straight. Thor decides it can't build Airstream "A" moho's and sell them at a profit, so it stops. SOB manufacturer is available to buy, so Thor buys it? Or did Thor already own the other brand before buying Airstream?
I can see the HBS business model showing up clearly. And, naturally, Thor wants to expand its sales basis through showing its product line wherever it can. The WBCCI is probably a side issue with them; they're getting a lot of Web time from it.
What's next? - let's see, I'll bet they have lots of Airstream decals left over, and it would be pretty simple to "brand" some of the surplus production as A/S, and Viola! headline "Airstream Reopens "A" Moho Production Lines"!!!
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
Let me see if I got this straight. Thor decides it can't build Airstream "A" moho's and sell them at a profit, so it stops. SOB manufacturer is available to buy, so Thor buys it? Or did Thor already own the other brand before buying Airstream?
I can see the HBS business model showing up clearly. And, naturally, Thor wants to expand its sales basis through showing its product line wherever it can. The WBCCI is probably a side issue with them; they're getting a lot of Web time from it.
What's next? - let's see, I'll bet they have lots of Airstream decals left over, and it would be pretty simple to "brand" some of the surplus production as A/S, and Viola! headline "Airstream Reopens "A" Moho Production Lines"!!!
regards
Thor was formed in 1979 to purchase Airstream from Beatrice. At that time Thompson and Orthwein owned a popup trailer manufacturer, which they have since sold. After purchaseing Airstream, Thor was able to accumulate the many RV and bus manufacturers which they now own.

It all started with Airstream.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote