View Poll Results: How will you vote on WBCCI motor home issue?
WBCCI member voting "yes" 4 3.17%
WBCCI member voting "no" 98 77.78%
WBCCI member voting "abstain" 0 0%
WBCCI member not voting 1 0.79%
Non-WBCCI member voting "yes" 1 0.79%
Non-WBCCI member voting "no" 22 17.46%
Non-WBCCI member voting "abstain" 0 0%
Non-WBCCI not voting 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
No surprise here - WBCCI member #7032 votes NO

We joined the WBCCI because it is an Airstream Club. It is our hope (and goal) that it remains an Airstream only club.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Only unit member to oppose..

I will again be the only member of our unit to vote no, thus making me a standout as I was last year on the name change (more over licensing concerns than Wally's legacy..)

My theory this year is apparently equally out of mainstream.. I know and like Jim Elmlinger, and do believe some loyal and dedicated volunteers will be lost as result of Airstream dumping motorhome production..

Rather than open club to 1 model of non-Airstream motorhomes, I'd much preferred to see a "Legacy Member" provision established, where anyone who has been a member of WBCCI for 10 years or more may remain a member regardless of what they own, if they wish to remain active and pay dues... If they've been around that long, and have made friends and commitments as a volunteer, why not let them remain... Oh well, think of me when my unit announces 30 "Yea's" and 1 "Nay..."

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

100% "no"

All,

At the WDCU "biz" meeting today, on a show of hands, it was a 100% "NO" on the motorhome issue. We will send out the amendment for a vote on May 1. Also, it was decided, if the wording of the Amendment is changed even one word on the floor, "ALL" votes will go to "NO". We currently have 104 members. On an "interesting" note, it was also decided, if during the "nominating" phase of the new International officers, "if possible", we the WDCU will "nominate" Barry Heckenswiler our current Region 2 President for 3VP of the International officers. Barry is a trailer guy.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
As a airstream class "A" MH owner I feel this amendment is going to pass because the IBT doesn't really care what you or I think.
Reading the Blue Beret tells it all.
I really feel for you trailer owners. You folks started this club and have supported it for all these years and a small minority want to change it for their convience.
why don't they just join the FMCA. We belong and it has a lot to offer also.
We won't go down without a fight, but I think the fat lady is warming up.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
I will again be the only member of our unit to vote no, thus making me a standout as I was last year on the name change (more over licensing concerns than Wally's legacy..)

My theory this year is apparently equally out of mainstream.. I know and like Jim Elmlinger, and do believe some loyal and dedicated volunteers will be lost as result of Airstream dumping motorhome production..

Rather than open club to 1 model of non-Airstream motorhomes, I'd much preferred to see a "Legacy Member" provision established, where anyone who has been a member of WBCCI for 10 years or more may remain a member regardless of what they own, if they wish to remain active and pay dues... If they've been around that long, and have made friends and commitments as a volunteer, why not let them remain... Oh well, think of me when my unit announces 30 "Yea's" and 1 "Nay..."
I agree with you. We need to do something that allows these folks to retain their WBCCI membership for all the hard work, time and effort these members have put in. I support the idea of "Legacy Member", it's a win - win solution.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
As a airstream class "A" MH owner I feel this amendment is going to pass because the IBT doesn't really care what you or I think.
I understand what you are saying but I thought that the final decision on the MH issue will be determined by a delegate vote not an IBT vote.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I agree with you. We need to do something that allows these folks to retain their WBCCI membership for all the hard work, time and effort these members have put in. I support the idea of "Legacy Member", it's a win - win solution.

Thanks for support... I thought about using the term "grandfathering" but it just seems so "Age-ist" And so many of the owners of Class A's are grandparents...

I'd be interested in other feedback on whether 10 years of loyal qualifying membership is enough, or if it should be 15 or 20 years before someone could remain a member regardless of model owned, and if it's worth setting up a poll on this idea as well..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #22
tincantom

1975 25' Tradewind
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
I'd be interested in other feedback on whether 10 years of loyal qualifying membership is enough, or if it should be 15 or 20 years before someone could remain a member regardless of model owned, and if it's worth setting up a poll on this idea as well..
I'm a 13 year member and no way that is long enough to allow me to drive around in an SOB and retain membership. You can call it what you will (Legacy, Associate or Grandfather), but I don't think we should be allowing anyone to have regular member privileges if they don't have an Airstream product. I wouldn't support a wholesale membership requirement change like this.

Sorry, but I don't see this as any different than what happened to some of our members who purchased the Airstream Integrity 5th Wheels and had no similar Airstream product to buy when they wanted to upgrade. I guess that was acceptable since they were probably just counted as our "usual" annual 6% membership loss.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

markdoane,

No one clairfied how I read your question about this motorhome vote.
This is a Vote about the CLUB's future. It's a Vote of "yea or ney" to allow an alien Motorhome into the WBCCI. It is a vote to allow ALIEN coach's built by FOUR WINDS and MANDALAY into the WBCCI and give them every right and all the privedges that current paying members of the WBCCI enjoy.
The CLUB will then become a club for other RV's, that are not manufactured by AIRSTREAM INC. The CLUB will no longer be Airstream Specific. I fear the worst.

Jim and Chris
WBCCI #5812
Denver Unit
'59 Caravanner
'67 Globe Trotter
'79 Trade Wind Int'l
'97 B-190 B Van
'06 Bambi Quick Silver
'00 S.O.B motorhome- and NOT a Four Winds/Mandalay
Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Let's not cloud the current issue here right now. Vote, "Yea or Ney", to allow Four Winds/Mandalay Motorhomes into the WBCCI with full rights and priveledges as if their coaches were made by Airstream, INC.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
Let's not cloud the current issue here right now. Vote, "Yea or Ney", to allow Four Winds/Mandalay Motorhomes into the WBCCI with full rights and priveledges as if their coaches were made by Airstream, INC.
Our first step is to ensure this proposal is voted down - with delegates not being allowed to change their unit vote due to changes to the proposal that come from the floor during the delegates meeting at International.

Next step (and there must be a next step because those in power are traveling in Airstream MHs, not Airstream trailers) we must come up with a way to deal with this issue that allows us to remain an Airstream only club and allow current Airstream MH owners to retain membership in some fashion if they need to replace their unit.

This issue will *not* go away after the membership votes down the proposal this year. Too many in power are not trailer owners and having worked their way up through the chain to become Region or International Officers they feel they know what is best for the WBCCI and it's membership and will continue to work/fight to include SOB MHs in our club.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

It's been memtioned above, so let's give it legs.

How about we pick a date for "Grandfathering of the MH owners" sometime during the rest of this year. Then those MH owners who want to update their coach at a later date and stay in the club with a newer, or new coaches, may. This must only apply to current dues paying members who are exisiting "Class A" MH owners, made by Airstream INC. Just a thought.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Our first step is to ensure this proposal is voted down - with delegates not being allowed to change their unit vote due to changes to the proposal that come from the floor during the delegates meeting at International.
This is an important point...thanks for bringing it up myboyburt. Changes will inevitably come from the floor so your delegate should be prepped in advance on how to handle this situation if it should arise.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Some good points and arguments here. Keep in mind, that if someone has to leave the club because they no longer own an airstream, it is not the end of the world or the club. WBCCI will survive.
We belong to five different travel clubs and they are all suffering a decline in membership. Research shows that the baby boomers are not joiners, but just want to camp and travel without the obligation of belonging to a club.
Maybe we should give those sob MH owners a chapter of their own and leave the Airstream owners decide their own fate.
No matter what, I encourage a NO vote on this SOB amendment.

bfred is offline   Reply With Quote