Old 03-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Thanks

Fred,

I agree house cleaning sucks. That said, thanks for your last post, I agree 100%. Although one nice thing about the International, it is a large event, lots of people make a special effort to attend and I am looking forward to meeting all of my internet pen pals. Especially you, because of our two mutual interests.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #30
_

. , .
hi fred and bill and other vintage.......people

thanks for answering my questions......your answer is sound....

the sub groups have all sprung up since 1992....
and vac is a great example of how folks vested can promote a fringe from within....

those thinking vac could do this without the wb...need to think again....

i agree it's the people that create the value.....
and ya gotta be in the boat to paddle.....

i'm still working out attending the salem rally, but meeting you guys would make it worth the trip....

cheers
2air'

house cleaning......try yearly tax prep........i'll trade ya!

Old 03-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
2air,

Fred and I along with a bunch of other nice people will be there, the nicest are vintage of course. Bring your hat so that we will recognize you.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 03-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
More thoughts ....

Here are some more of my personal thoughts as to why the VAC can thrive better within than as a separate club outside the WBCCI, which people suggest from time to time.

It takes time and effort to run any club. Many of the basic mundane tasks are now being performed by the WBCCI National and your Local Unit - collecting dues, maintaining and distributing membership roosters in print and electronically, organizing and running events to attend, maintaining an international network of enthusiasts, being contact points. Selfishly, having others do a large part - not all - of that work allows the VAC to spend far more time and energy on vintage trailers themselves and to push the envelope further on learning about, seeing ,repairing, discussing and showing them. We show up and enjoy without having to first create every single activity ourselves. Many hands make light work, and many of the older hands in the WBCCI are experienced in doing these things and gladly share their insight. Why reinvent a trailer wheel?

The WBCCI is THE club that created the trailering history we VACers find so fascinating. Any new separate vintage club would, in large part, also celebrate the history and heritage of the WBCCI. It is far more rewarding to continue that history than to admire it from afar. In our small eyes, we carry the torch, we continue the thread, we will eventually become part of the history we respect. And if we're real good and have some spunk, perhaps we too can create some memorable moments of trailering, though in all reality we hold no candle to the Caravanners of the 1950s and 1960s.

In Denver, our local Unit is the gathering point for us VACers. We see each other at monthly luncheons during the winter and a local events throughout the spring, summer and fall. Every Unit Rally or Caravan is also, in part, a VAC event because we show up and enjoy it in our own way. Not everyone attends every event; we pick and chose to suit our individual schedules. And the "elders" do not whip us with rug beaters if we don't follow them lock step in every activity. Time and place are set by our local Unit; we just show up without having to arrange and announce every single meeting or event ourselves. What a deal!

Our local VAC group did not spring forth fully formed the hand of Wally. We grew over time, the nucelus forming once a small critical mass was attained. Because we do Vintage things locally, we continue to attract additional vintage minded electrons (and their old and new trailers) who are pulled into our fun. Once we suck them in, they often have a hard time escaping.

My annual WBCCI and local Unit dues are insignificant compared to the fun I have and people I meet and have met through these clubs. I have far greater complaints with how the federal government spends my annual USA citizenship dues. Over a decade ago I spent about $960 annually to belong to a health club, which then was the focus of my social universe. Today I spend far less on the WBCCI and VAC, which are my current social universe, and my knees and wallet thank me for the change. The WBCCI and VAC are very inexpensive entertainment if you take full advantage of what each has to offer. Such is life and what you make if it.

Here's the take away message: by staying within the WBCCI, the VAC does not have to spend its limited human energy and resources on creating and maintaining an operating structure. By operating within the existing WBCCI, we can climb out of the basement utility room and operate on higher planes. People piggyback for a greater vertical reach; the same concept applies equally well to clubs.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks...

Well said Fred!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello everyone,
I am a new to the forums as a member.I dont belong to wbcci or vac but am trying to understand it all ,if its possible. From what i have read here, I agree with insideout and 47 weewind on their ideas of what vintage airstream rallys are about,, how these vintage units are operated, and to me it is somthing that I am looking for .It sounds simplistic , yes? But alot of what I have read is really like crazy confusing . So many aspects of wbcci so much red tape.The vintage focus to me invites friendship and fun . weekend and 3or5 day rallys like creede. The workshop rallies an excellent time to make new friends. possibly for a lifetime . However seeings how the wbcci does provide as you have said the liability insurance to cover the vac events , That alone is monumental . i am no expert in all this ,but it looks like wbcci and vac needs each other really . bring in new members with vintage appeal and the newer airstreams . The vintage units are more geared to as it was mentioned , the way wally woulkd have done it.I have no interest in pompas or any elitism in any club .My humble opinion

scottanlily
Old 04-07-2006, 02:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Further discussions on these points....

Hello all -

I am VERY INTERESTED in these discussions since they seem to be heading a direction that will be more inclusive. Of VAC, of families with kids like mine. There are SO many opportunities to get things organized for a GREAT get together or Ralley - something that will attrack youngs families, kids and their families. Future of the club right?

Right up my alley. I will survey my kids and find out what kids of activities would jazz them and make them excited. I will report back with constuctive ideas after I learn them.

Axel
Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Silver toy

Yes and YES ! Have read alot about the big wig club deal being very rigid about kids ,.Lil and I have 2 kids and better believe they are vintage airstreamers We go together in our trdwnd as much as we can and family inclusion is a big part as well as rallies that ALLOW us to attend ,meaning shorter weekenders rallies Somthing on the west coast too. Its funny .... Those that started this club many years ago, probably some of them had kids and the adventure was on . money wasnt plentiful . The wbcci needs to look over some of those old archive rally photos to remind them. Ive read more than a few posts about kids not really being welcomed . That is a shame.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Silver toy

Yes and YES ! Have read alot about the big wig club deal being very rigid about kids ,.Lil and I have 2 kids and better believe they are vintage airstreamers We go together in our trdwnd as much as we can and family inclusion is a big part as well as rallies that ALLOW us to attend ,meaning shorter weekenders rallies Somthing on the west coast too. Its funny .... Those that started this club many years ago, probably some of them had kids and the adventure was on . money wasnt plentiful . The wbcci needs to look over some of those old archive rally photos to remind them. Ive read more than a few posts about kids not really being welcomed . That is a shame.
Scott,

We have children as young as 6 in our unit, and we have attended rallies on the weekend only when the rally starts on Wednesday. This late arrival has not been a problem and we are not the only ones. In fact, we are going to a rally the end of this month on Friday and the rally starts on Wednesday. The unit is El Camino Real, last year we had a rally in Santa Barbara.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey Bill ,

Wow how in the world could i have missed that? Not being a member possibly. You would think somehow I would have found out since I live in santa barbara. There is a couple here in town who have a bubble , flying cloud and a weewind . I had asked her a few times about events that we could attend last year and would never get a response . They had done santamaria rally in the past . I gave up ,I guess i was being a bother .That would then be the unit I would want to join . SB must kinda be in the middle of the west coast units

Scott of scottanlily
Old 04-07-2006, 11:37 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Well said Fred!

Shari
Becky and I were sucked in all the way from Oklahoma!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW64OVERLANDER
Becky and I were sucked in all the way from Oklahoma!
And we're glad you were!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hey Bill ,

Wow how in the world could i have missed that? Not being a member possibly. You would think somehow I would have found out since I live in santa barbara. There is a couple here in town who have a bubble , flying cloud and a weewind . I had asked her a few times about events that we could attend last year and would never get a response . They had done santamaria rally in the past . I gave up ,I guess i was being a bother .That would then be the unit I would want to join . SB must kinda be in the middle of the west coast units

Scott of scottanlily
Scott,

We have an active couple who just moved from Santa Barbara to Solvang, when he retired. We attended the Santa Maria Rally also, it was our first Airstream rally, before our 1979 Safari became vintage, and as a result of the great time we had and the people we met we joined the El Camino Real Unit. PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of our last newsletter. The upcoming rallies are May - Mariposa, Aug - Owens Valley, Sept - Yucaipa, Oct - VAC rally at Newport Dunes, Nov - Mailbu. One of the problems with Region 12 is that there are many units and no explanation of the differences between units.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
...Price of some of the ralleys and events, Time and timing is my other big issue. ...Honestly the price is fair on every one I took the time to reseach to see what I was getting but the problem for me is I can't always attend the full durration of the events and in most cases that means well over half of what the money was going to cover is wasted...
This is an issue even when you can afford the whole cost. I know it would be a bookkeeping nightmare for reservations, but even when I stumbled into a small rally up in Wyoming last year, it was "full price" even if we could only stay one night. That seems a little short sighted if you show up without reservations. Oh, well.

But I digress. Insideout vectored me here for some background (thanks, Shari). Lots of good points, but Fred Coldwell hit the mark, I think. In other recent posts I've been musing about "why the VAC" and it looks to me like I should clam up and starting working from the inside to get more maintenance rallies and to get the WBCCI to cough up funds to establish a "VAC skill center " in some as yet unnamed location. Cortez has been suggested--it has an airport, which implies hangars, near to attractions [anasazi, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, skiing, Moab], pretty decent weather...

I'm all for membership taxes, but I want more spent on Vintage!!

After reading this thread, I still like the idea of a global VAC that does more than the Rocky Mountain Rally--the subunit fragments are great (Denver, DC, others I'm sure), but they don't provide the critical mass to get us to the next level of a permanent "Vintage Home." That's a place where the continuing restorations can happen, as well as big maintenance rallies a couple times a year (maybe one optimized for those who still work/have kids, and one for the ones who don't--not for being exclusive, but for being tailored best for that group).

I think of the music festival I pass every year out west of Grand Junction--a farm most of the time, but suddenly for a couple weeks it's transformed late in the season to a venue. Bring your blue tanks and your quiet generators and boondock together! And maintenance together!

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote